Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

Findecano wrote:
Beragon wrote:Hmm, could Talismanic Tattoos (mentioned for Kurnous) actually provide a 4+ ward? I'm guessing it's possible given that the Thorn sisters have a 4+ ward, the wardancers are rumored to have the same special rules (+ASF) with slightly altered dances, and they are the WE equivalent of Sisters of Slaughter (who I believe have a 4+ ward if I'm not mistaken). Could explain why Shadow's Coil is rumored to grant a 3+ ward now.
Possibly, but I'm not sure I'd waste my dance pick to upgrade a 4++ to a 3++ when I could be doing KB or neuter ranks, maybe tattoos could be a 5++ as standard?
I suspect the tattoos will be 5++ as the WR also have 5+ armour (l.a. on steed), whereas the sisters only have the ward. Don't get me wrong I'm praying to Kurnous for 4++ wards :p Also hopefully they get the asrai spears.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

frogboy wrote:If it's 4++ I'm spamming Wardancers and wild riders ! with a sprinkling of Glade Guard and with a Unicorn on top :D
Yeah, I'm hoping for at least a 5+ ward as standard. 4+ would be great. A 6+ ward was perfectly fine pre-8th edition, but it is absolute crap for Wardancers currently. Wardancers have always been my favorite unit... it'd be nice to seem them return to greatness.
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

Findecano wrote:
Odinsleepwalker wrote:

Hooray for sub $50US prices on the two new boxes of WE!!!! :D

A beautiful sight, yeah?
Definitely, hooray for Geedub choosing this moment to do a u-turn on their pricing policy, perhaps the unnecessary gouging on the dark elf kits resulted in disappointing sales figures
Yeah, I may have been one of the select few idiots who bought up a bunch of those new Witch Elves and Executioners. Only the Warlocks and new school DE warriors were priced reasonably.
I actually think, dare I say, GW may be learning something. :D
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Tattoos could be a +1 to existing Ward save with MR1 in addition?

So leaving Wardancers on a basic 6++ and Wild Riders on 5++? But one better against spell wounds?
RonRJW
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by RonRJW »

Shield of thorns does damage after each magic phase, is that twice per turn? :question: :)
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

Odinsleepwalker wrote: I actually think, dare I say, GW may be learning something. :D
I don't think so. I really think they price their products using a dart board with the bull's-eye being "let's lower the pricee".
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Beragon wrote:The more that comes out, the more I'm convinced that Matt Ward has steered the army back toward what WE were like pre-6th edition army book. Strength 3 armor piercing bows is exactly what they used to have (but with a 36" range). If that works for more than just short range (as it appears to be), I'll take it.
Seeing as I've only played WE in the current book, I'm not sure whether I'd like that or not.

But I guess we'll all find out what this new book is like soon enough. C'mon Fri-Sat!!!
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

RonRJW wrote:Shield of thorns does damage after each magic phase, is that twice per turn? :question: :)
Yes it is :) however the opponent can attempt to use some I his spell casting dice to attempt to dispel it in his magic phase. I'm not sure if you get to attempt to prevent the dispel attempt but either way it's a great way to drain him of dice that could otherwise be used to hurt you.
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Beragon wrote:
Odinsleepwalker wrote: I actually think, dare I say, GW may be learning something. :D
I don't think so. I really think they price their products using a dart board with the bull's-eye being "let's lower the pricee".
They really do need to get better corporate players at GW into Bugman's Bar then. :lol:
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

If we get KB on warhawks, ignore armour on waywatchers and devastating charge on WR...........then I have everthing I want. These are our anti armour, and will do just fine.

our shoot, run and multi-charge playstyle will be uplifted, not destroyed.
This would make me happy.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

WTH why do the Rangers only get 25pts of magic banner?
When every other Elven elite in the game gets 50pts.
Arg, no razor standard...................-3 to armour is really the minimum for serious can opening and now they can't get there without magic.
Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

Post by Kojibear »

The White Dawrf advice for using the Sisters of Thorn is to nibble at the enemy and not to expose them to any serious threats. Well with a 12" spear throwing range..? Oh and use them to take a load off of your other wizards...huh? I didn't know my plastic and metal minis were that tired... :roll:

What do you all think about how you will make use of these Deer riding ladies?
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

There's a whole thread discussing it but I see two uses: a unit of 5, no upgrades, to run around casting spells and using vanguard + 18 march + poison javenlins to kill warmachines turn 1.
Other use: deathstar mode of amazing points denial. 17 with full command, banner of magic resistance or swiftness, 2 fighty/shooty characters and a Lv4 on dark magic for +1S from power of darkness. This thing will magic, shoot and hide from everything that wants to kill it.

If you've ever had a go at using a skink cloud LM list you'll discover that 12 inch range on javelins isn't a big deal when you have unlimited free reforms. You can be right next to enemies and they can't touch you (can't charge what you can't see).
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:
CauCaSus wrote:Pics from WD are out and the rules for the thorn maidens are the same as rumoured. Won't get their 4+ ward vs miscast, but honestly thats fine considering warlocks are op.
Reasonably priced too.

I'm seeing a unit of 9 with a l2 singer with power of darkness to boost their javelins to s4, as quite a tasty unit.

It may only be level 4 casters who can have high and dark....

Wyssans would work though.
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

30 Glade Guard inside the free wood whittling down anything that comes towards them, then striking in 3 ranks, re-rolling 1's to wound in close combat is ridiculous! I might take 60 and give the other 30 the acorn of ages! Seems very static and unfair though!
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Avalon101 wrote:30 Glade Guard inside the free wood whittling down anything that comes towards them, then striking in 3 ranks, re-rolling 1's to wound in close combat is ridiculous! I might take 60 and give the other 30 the acorn of ages! Seems very static and unfair though!
Sounds very good.

Rumor is that moonstone is staying... gives that big block of 30 archers a good way to get out of trouble.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Drstrangelove wrote:There's a whole thread discussing it but I see two uses: a unit of 5, no upgrades, to run around casting spells and using vanguard + 18 march + poison javenlins to kill warmachines turn 1.
Other use: deathstar mode of amazing points denial. 17 with full command, banner of magic resistance or swiftness, 2 fighty/shooty characters and a Lv4 on dark magic for +1S from power of darkness. This thing will magic, shoot and hide from everything that wants to kill it.

If you've ever had a go at using a skink cloud LM list you'll discover that 12 inch range on javelins isn't a big deal when you have unlimited free reforms. You can be right next to enemies and they can't touch you (can't charge what you can't see).
Why only 5 or deathstar?

As you can shoot in 2 ranks i'm looking at fielding them in 2 ranks, probably of 6, just to help keep that second rank intact a bit longer, with a dark magic user (i was hoping for a l2 singer, but it looks like it might have to be a weaver). Power of darkness then has them at s4 ap and poisoned. With 11 shots, that is pretty good.

They're also surprisingly good in combat, with 4++, s4 mounts, poisoned asf attacks.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Camping out in forests is probably not going to work out for us very well, realistically speaking. WE need to bring the hurt to their opponents with their fast, hard-hitting skirmishers and combat units, not hide in the woods shooting arrows. The only reason WE players have doing the latter is because we really didn't have any good combat units to speak of at all, and were reduced to massed GG shooting.

If that acorn item is a real thing, I'll be running up with an equipped hero and tossing that thing right between both our armies the round before my opponent charges, and really making a mess of their steadfast that way. Even if I have to engage them in the wood, my blocks will become stupid strong for it while theirs because weaker.
Woodsinger
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Woodsinger »

If the rumor about the first buffs are true, the Rangers are going to be extremely hard hitting. Wyssans+shadow magic, plus if my enemy wants to throw a monster at them, the all get an extra attack?? I really like the potential for this unit.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:
Drstrangelove wrote:There's a whole thread discussing it but I see two uses: a unit of 5, no upgrades, to run around casting spells and using vanguard + 18 march + poison javenlins to kill warmachines turn 1.

Why only 5 or deathstar?

As you can shoot in 2 ranks i'm looking at fielding them in 2 ranks, probably of 6, just to help keep that second rank intact a bit longer, with a dark magic user (i was hoping for a l2 singer, but it looks like it might have to be a weaver). Power of darkness then has them at s4 ap and poisoned. With 11 shots, that is pretty good.

They're also surprisingly good in combat, with 4++, s4 mounts, poisoned asf attacks.
Not a bad idea either, but hard to see it getting it's points back. Of course it doesn't necessarily have to, if it's providing the Lv4 on Dark magic with a place to hide, and by nature of it's agility is able to not give up it's points......then any kills from the 11 javelins might be considered a bonus I suppose. But certainly not going to induce terror in opponents, which for 300 points + Lv4 is disappointing.

It is hard to avoid the inevitable comparison to Warlocks. Same price sigh. Could have at least made ours a point cheaper when they are so obviously more appropriately powered than warlocks.
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

When the new HE book came out, I wondered why they dropped Curse of Arrow Attraction from High Magic... it seemed to me an appropriate and iconic spell for High Elves. With the new WE coming out, now I know why! Can you imagine? :smirk:
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

sister of avelorn and sister of thorn is balanced, warlocks are totally unbalanced with thier insane 4D6 S5 hits irresistable force.
That was mistake from GW, they could have made them use the 2D6 spell only, not the enhanced version.

In a way im happy for ours sisters not being some crazy game winner with an apparently unbalanced capability.

I think 4+ ward on wardancers is probarble, because if its 18 points for something that is gponna stan and just die against ranke opponents, then what is the point with that dance that removes rank bonuses? As it is now wardancers should cost 11-12 points. For them to cost 18 points they must have some good protection.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Beragon wrote:When the new HE book came out, I wondered why they dropped Curse of Arrow Attraction from High Magic... it seemed to me an appropriate and iconic spell for High Elves. With the new WE coming out, now I know why! Can you imagine?
Or on skinks?

:)
Woodsinger wrote:If the rumor about the first buffs are true, the Rangers are going to be extremely hard hitting. Wyssans+shadow magic, plus if my enemy wants to throw a monster at them, the all get an extra attack?? I really like the potential for this unit.
I feel defensive magic is more necessary for these guys. Ws5 S5 is decent.
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

ivrg wrote:I think 4+ ward on wardancers is probarble, because if its 18 points for something that is gonna stand and just die against ranked opponents, then what is the point with that dance that removes rank bonuses? As it is now wardancers should cost 11-12 points. For them to cost 18 points they must have some good protection.
Just simple point cost adjustments across the entire old book would change a lot of things for the better with this army.

Here's to hoping the new book helps us out on that, at least a little bit.
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Some mathhammer I posted on Warseer:

I think the go-to arrow will be Poison. S3 with AP is functionally the same as S4 for punching through armour but worse for wounding, so why not take the auto-wounds where you can get it?

Say 3 x 10 BS4 Archers in a wood, so you are getting all 30 shots off, and assuming no other penalties:

Versus Generic Human - T3, 5+ AS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 8.33 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 13.333 wounds, ~11 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 7.5 wounds, 10.375 unsaved wounds.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 10 unsaved wounds.

Versus Warriors of Chaos - T4, 3+ AS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 3.33 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 5 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 5.55 unsaved wounds.

Versus Frost Phoenix - T6, 5+ AS, 5++ WS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 3.33 wounds, 2.76 wounds after armour saves, 1.84 wounds after ward save.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 5.53 wounds after armour saves, 3.68 wounds after ward save.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 2.5 wounds, 6.24 wounds after armour saves, 4.16 wounds after ward save.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 3.33 wounds, 3.33 wounds after armour saves, 2.22 wounds after ward save.

So basically, unless you are looking at generic T3, 5+ AS troops which shouldn't be a problem to deal with anyhow, Poision is at least as good if not better than +1 to wound, and you don't have to choose which side it will work against. It also works against the two neutral armies.

If poison is anywhere near the same cost as the +1 to wound arrows, that's your choice 99% of the time. 30 GG with poison arrows is a threat to anything on the board basically from turn one assuming they keep the 30" range and BS 4.