Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

nated4444
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE DoC orks 40k

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by nated4444 »

5 different types of arrows, i need a nice bit of salt here. but seriously i doubt you can choose from those especially no mods and -3 as on eternal guard but point premiums for those i bet i could swallow. but not on EG
Ioreth Starmantle wrote: Hmm, the Asur never leave home without the Book of Hoeth, the Druchii love their Tome of Furion. We now have one that suits us very nicely(book of asur). Time to start an Elf book club (that means we club each other with books).
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I think it would be awesome if you could equip a whole unit of Glade guard with those arrows instead of being able to take a banner.

Also, on that thread it says something like it could be devastating charge for WR.

"Kurnous: FA, carga devastadora, tatuajes, rapida" ....I'm guessing, devastating charge, talismanic tattoos and Fast Cav.

I'd love it if they get a 4+ward like the Sisters!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
skilgannon82
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by skilgannon82 »

having all of those arrows would be expensive but totally cheesy and awesomeness on a stick.
8th W/D/L 18/0/3
O and G 1/0/0
VC 1/0/0
dwarves 1/0/0
DE 2/0/0
LM 3/0/0
TK 2/0/0
WOC 2/0/0
empire 2/0/0
HE 0/0/1
ogres 2/0/0
skaven 1/0/0
WE 1/0/2
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

frogboy wrote:Well if the rumours on Warseer are correct, Wood Elves are going to be completely different army. :paranoid:
Yeah, defo taken with a grain of salt until I have a new army book in my hands. Hmmm...
Avalon101 wrote:
Waywatchers: two different shot types. Swift shot: Multiple shots(2); Accurate shot: Ignores armor saves
If this is true, I'll be running 2 units of 10 for sure!
A big +1 here. I have some Waywatchers lying around that have just been waiting to prove useful. This could be the chance. :lol:
Tinwe
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tinwe »

Give them poison arrows too and they will be killing dps left and right.
Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gerinako »

Hnnnng!

I was a huge fan of the forest spirit army but now I'm wondering how feasible it really is now.

It's going to have to include some elves.
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Gerinako wrote:Hnnnng!

I was a huge fan of the forest spirit army but now I'm wondering how feasible it really is now.

It's going to have to include some elves.
Yeah, if they take away any attacks from the Dryads or make them T3, I may have to really change up my list from the last couple years.

This could be good or bad. Gotta have this new book NOW!!! :nod:
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

That says dryads lose skirmish, but the pic on the bundle shows them skirmishing.

I think someone has seen the white dwarf pics and cobbled that into their wishlist to add credibility before posting it as coming from the new book.

None of the stuff makes sense, some is pointless, some is good even compared to most no-brainer auto includes. It all encourages a no-brainer gunline style of play with a few hammer units for countercharge. It also makes WE far more dependent on having woods, and makes setting up a table with no woods a viable strategy for your opponent.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

Something does seem really fishy about those rumors. A Treeman Ancient has only 3 attacks??? :crazy: :crazy:
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gerinako »

Curse from the Sisters
Wind Blast from Heavens...

How would that work?

*edit: Answered my own q: "You only test when marching, charging, pursuing, overrunning, or fleeing."
Last edited by Gerinako on 29 Apr 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

The links don't seem to be working. It looks like the ellipses are embedded in the URLs.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

I love how some people are doom and gloom about our update. Honestly, just about anything rule-wise is better than what we had with our 6th edition army book. We don't know ALL (let's stress this point...) the details, yet. Combos are going to take some games and perusing of the book before they become evident, but I already see a wealth of different builds that will work going forward.

Personally, I'm going to try to field an army this weekend with what I already have painted up. I've been running a three treeman list, and will use that as the basis for the army that I will run with the new book. If we really get a AP(3) arrow option for glade guard as well as waywatchers with the ability to fire armor ignoring bow shots... we can field a ridiculous amount of bow shots that get around armor.

I’m playing in a three game tourney this Saturday- and I will be rocking the new rules. Should definitely do a battle report…
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Thanks for sorting that out Beithir.

Also from Warseer:
Quote Originally Posted by Shadeseraph View Post
Translation:

Eternal Guard: S3, 1A, Stubborn

Arrows:

Witch's Curse: Poison.
Moonfire: +1 to wound against Order
Fast: 2 Shoots
Precise: No negatives to shooting
Razor: AP -3
Starfire: +1 to wound against Destruction

Special Rules:

Forest Stalker: Forest Striders, and, in forest: fight with an additional rank, shoot with an additional rank, and reroll 1s to wound on Close combat
Blessing of the Ancients: +1 Caster level in forests
Forest Spirit: Ward Save 6++ and ItP.
Place Forest: Citadel Forest, in your half of the table

Kurnous: Frenzy, Devastating Charge, Tattoos, Fast

Weaponry:

Asrai Bow, S3 AP.
Javelin, 12", AP and Poison.
Spears: basic spear (on foot and mounted), AP.

Sisters, WS 4++, javelins, same than warlocks, Shield of thorns and Curse. Poison.
Deers of ISha...1A S4. The kurnous ride Deers of kurnous...1A S4.

Rangers, GW, +1A vs fear and terror, S3. ItP

Shadowdancer is a hero, Shadow lore.

Hawks with Killing blow on charge, and AP both rider and mount.

Waywatchers: 2 shooting modes: First is rapid fire... Multiple shoots (2). Second is Accurate shooting. Ignore armor.

Only Aedas (the lord level mage) use High and Dark Magic.

Nobles and Trueborns have the rule arrow of Kuronus... If the enemy general is at 36" and in a straight line, before the game he receives a single S3 strike that ignores armor

Treeman S5, 5A. Upgrades such as strangle. Ancient only 3A, level 2 life.

Dancers, the already mentioned dances:
Quote Originally Posted by boli View Post
RE: wardancers

the last dances mentioned were:
* 3++
* Killing blow
* +1 A
* Removes Rank bonus from enemy.

for the same cost/profile.

which basically makes them 3 points more expensive than sisters of slaughter and not as good in any way (as you'll only have a choice of one of those dances at once and not 4++, removing rank bonuses from enemy as standard.)

- details are earlier in the thread I'm just repeating.
Lore rules, the already mentioned ones.

Dryads are not skirmishers, S3 and hatred
I took the liberty of changing the layout so it became somewhat clearer.
Interesting but I remain skeptical as hell until I see pics from the Rulebook or have the book in my hands.

If this is true I will miss the strength bonus for the GG bow inside short range and the ability to move and shoot without penalty. they were one of the things I most enjoyed about the army.

EDIT: all of the above has been translated so some bits might have been mangled slightly in translation.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

Thanks, those links work great.

I like the pose of the Treeman on page 19. The more I look at that model, the more I like it. I just had to get over the initial shock of how different it is to our current one.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

FriedTaterExplosion wrote:I love how some people are doom and gloom about our update. Honestly, just about anything rule-wise is better than what we had with our 6th edition army book. We don't know ALL (let's stress this point...) the details, yet. Combos are going to take some games and perusing of the book before they become evident, but I already see a wealth of different builds that will work going forward.

Personally, I'm going to try to field an army this weekend with what I already have painted up. I've been running a three treeman list, and will use that as the basis for the army that I will run with the new book. If we really get a AP(3) arrow option for glade guard as well as waywatchers with the ability to fire armor ignoring bow shots... we can field a ridiculous amount of bow shots that get around armor.

I’m playing in a three game tourney this Saturday- and I will be rocking the new rules. Should definitely do a battle report…
I don't think most people are complaining because it looks bad (if anything some of it is far, far too good), but because these rumoured rules will turn us into a static gunline hiding in woods, and our "tactics" will be all about slowing the enemy down to get an extra turn of shooting, and timing the wildrider charge to wipe out anything that survives the deluge of super armour piercing arrows. In other words, making us dwarves with cavalry and no cannons. Aka, boring.

Having said that, I'm desperate for the rules for glade riders and warhawks, because a fast cavalry/flyer army could be a lot of fun if they made glade riders worth taking again.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Forest Stalker ! What's that then ? Is that the name of the Wood Elf prowess ?
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
bernh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by bernh »

Forest Stalker ! What's that then ? Is that the name of the Wood Elf prowess ?
Yes it is. Forest strider and high elf + dark elf prowess in the forest.
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

The more that comes out, the more I'm convinced that Matt Ward has steered the army back toward what WE were like pre-6th edition army book. Strength 3 armor piercing bows is exactly what they used to have (but with a 36" range). If that works for more than just short range (as it appears to be), I'll take it.
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

Hmm, could Talismanic Tattoos (mentioned for Kurnous) actually provide a 4+ ward? I'm guessing it's possible given that the Thorn sisters have a 4+ ward, the wardancers are rumored to have the same special rules (+ASF) with slightly altered dances, and they are the WE equivalent of Sisters of Slaughter (who I believe have a 4+ ward if I'm not mistaken). Could explain why Shadow's Coil is rumored to grant a 3+ ward now.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Beragon wrote:Hmm, could Talismanic Tattoos (mentioned for Kurnous) actually provide a 4+ ward? I'm guessing it's possible given that the Thorn sisters have a 4+ ward, the wardancers are rumored to have the same special rules (+ASF) with slightly altered dances, and they are the WE equivalent of Sisters of Slaughter (who I believe have a 4+ ward if I'm not mistaken). Could explain why Shadow's Coil is rumored to grant a 3+ ward now.
Possibly, but I'm not sure I'd waste my dance pick to upgrade a 4++ to a 3++ when I could be doing KB or neuter ranks, maybe tattoos could be a 5++ as standard?
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

If it's 4++ I'm spamming Wardancers and wild riders ! with a sprinkling of Glade Guard and with a Unicorn on top :D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hooray for sub $50US prices on the two new boxes of WE!!!! :D

A beautiful sight, yeah?
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Odinsleepwalker wrote:

Hooray for sub $50US prices on the two new boxes of WE!!!! :D

A beautiful sight, yeah?
Definitely, hooray for Geedub choosing this moment to do a u-turn on their pricing policy, perhaps the unnecessary gouging on the dark elf kits resulted in disappointing sales figures
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"