A question...

Moderator: Council of Elders

sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

A question...

Post by sashkin »

Is it a good idea to have Glade Riders go into combat against a unit with no range weapons that has only close combat weapons? Please, reply!

Moved to the Hall of Discussion ~ Beithir
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: A question...

Post by danny1995 »

NO! Glade riders need to just stay outside of charge range and shoot. The only time you charge with them is a multi charge on the bottom of the last turn to break a unit and chase it off the table.
sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sashkin »

I heard that it kinda matters which side you attack. For example: If you attack the flank, I think you get 2 extra dice when attacking?

Thanks for telling me, though! :eek:

Maybe that's what I should do when engaging.
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

When you flank charge, you get a plus one to combat resolution for flank, and plus one for the charge. If you charge the rear its plus 2 for rear, and plus one for charge
sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sashkin »

So is it a good thing to charge from the back with Glade Riders?
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

On the last turn to break an already feeble unit, if you have other combat sturdy units to charge the unit in several other places.
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by Revelen »

It boils down to, you're likely going to get just as many wounds shooting as you will in close combat, but in close combat your horsey-dudes are going to get shredded against most enemies, especially non-ranged troops, who will tend to be better armored, possibly stronger, and with better ranks/numbers etc.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

In general no. Glade riders are a very lightly armoured unit who will crumble against most rank and file. We do have the initiative advantage against most units barring high elves and dark elves so it can be beneficial in certain situations. For example if a unit has been reduced to two ranks and you charge the flank. It allows you to attack with four riders while they can only attack back with 2 models so chances are you will win the combat.

In general though the advantage of glade riders is definitely their movement and redirecting ability. They are great at taking out most warmachines, other chaff units and peppering rank and file while staying out of their charge arcs.

Magic can significantly increase your combat ability. Especially wyssans wildform which will turn your glade riders into st5 on the charge and keep them fighting for longer with toughness 4.
sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sashkin »

Blackcat, is this 8th edition you're talking about?
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

sashkin wrote:Blackcat, is this 8th edition you're talking about?
yes. You will never hear people talking about anything else here.

So as per his point: flank is normally better than rear, as it allows fewer models to attack back in almost all configurations.
I run a mounted BSB with armour of destiny (for 4up armour and 4up ward) in 6 glade guard with a champ, run two wide (ie the champ and BSB fill the front rank). I can quite safely charge this into a units flank, as they can at most do only three wounds to me (ie kill the BSB and champ, as they can't get to the riders behind on a single initiative step) and I get to add 7 strength 4 attacks to the mix, plus THREE combat resolution (BSB, charge and being in their flank). I find this really handy in the late stages of the game.
.....the trick is keeping them alive as magic missiles and ranged weapons just decimate them.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by Revelen »

Drstrangelove wrote:So as per his point: flank is normally better than rear, as it allows fewer models to attack back in almost all configurations.
The two notable exceptions being big Napoleonic Blocks, and instances where you're pretty sure you can beat 'em, break 'em, and run 'em down. Like, a decimated unit of skaven slaves, or something. But otherwise, a strong and excellent point. Also, I find rear attacks frequently cost me an extra turn of maneuvering when I need a charge NOW.