Sub-forum idea: how to beat <army>

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Sub-forum idea: how to beat <army>

Post by godswearhats »

Pretty self explanatory. I'd like to see a sub-forum where we can post notes on what tactics to use vs a given army. On other forums I've seen one sticky per army, and people post what has worked for them and what hasn't under that sticky.

Thoughts?
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
PointedDoom
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Sub-forum idea: how to beat <army>

Post by PointedDoom »

good idea although we already have something like that in the Leaf articles, but they havn't been updated for 8th ed yet. I am presuming the reason for that is that they don't want to turn around and rewrite it when we get a new book

For my part I have decided long ago to give up on winning as my primary motivator an to just do things that are fun as a result I run a list you would probably think is insane with war hawks, war dancers, and glade riders. All sub par and all models that i love.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Great idea! I didn't even realise we didn't have this yet... (I'm used to it on the other forums). I'd sure be willing to contribute tactics against the armies I regularly play or own myself.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Well there are the old Art of War articles in the LEAF (link in the top right corner next to the FAQ button), but they're still for 7th edition.
For my part I have decided long ago to give up on winning as my primary motivator an to just do things that are fun as a result I run a list you would probably think is insane with war hawks, war dancers, and glade riders. All sub par and all models that i love.

Replace Glade Riders with Waywatchers and this is exactly the sort of thing I plan to do as well.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Isjieck
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, and potentially Lizardmen soon

Post by Isjieck »

Very nice idea! I was thinking of asking for the thing, it would (for me) be really useful!

Isjieck
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

PointedDoom wrote:good idea although we already have something like that in the Leaf articles, but they havn't been updated for 8th ed yet
Which is reason enough to make a new sub-forum and let the community do the job instead of putting the work load on a few authors.
AegonTheConqueror
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by AegonTheConqueror »

I'd love to have this for 8th edition, would be very helpful.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I think the problem you will face is that most of the moderators have gone to sleep. Its been a long time since wood elves have had any love from GW. We should be grateful to Naggie for keeping the forum open this long.
Maybe in the spring we could see a change, that is if a new Army Book is released, but we have heard the same rumours for years...

Good idea though :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Bearded_Dragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Bearded_Dragon »

along with all the wood elf rumours, i have heard 9th edition is to be released mid-late next year. so the 8th ed stickies may only be valid for up to 8-10 months before needing re writing again...
Your sword is no good here.

2014 Games New Book:
Played :5 Won :1 Draw :0 Lose :4
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

This "sub-forum" idea is exactly what the LEAF was intended to be.

The Mods aren't, and were never intended to be, authors - the idea was to have the members be the authors, but very few people have come forward with anything. The LEAF articles were put together starting with a thread where everyone could contribute their input, and then one person would compile all the knowledge into an article. There's nothing stopping anyone doing that now.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

What's stopping me is the lack of interactivity. The LEAF just kinda sits there. There's no real discussion on any of the articles, no debate and no real incentive to make an article. I've made several articles (albeit painting/modeling ones) and I think I've had one comment from one person about all of them. I think most people don't even really know that the LEAF exists or read it on any kind of regular basis - this is a forum and should be treated as such, no? Certainly my method of interacting with the site (primarily via Tapatalk) means I will never see new LEAF articles (speaking of which: I *know* I submitted that Watchtower article but it's not seen the light of day: is it no good?)

Also, I think to generate content you need to have someone who is actively canvassing for content and helping to create a useful resource. While we appreciate what you and Naggie do, it's very passive and doesn't encourage people to step up and spend the time to create good content for the site. I could create a bunch of good content, but it would take up a lot of my time and the kudos (from the community) just aren't there to get me to do it.

My two cents on the topic *shrug*
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord