2 treemen in 2000

Moderator: Council of Elders

rapscallion
Newcomer
Newcomer

2 treemen in 2000

Post by rapscallion »

Hey quick question for all you forest dwellers, have you had any success rolling with a treeman and a treeman ancient in games of 2000pts? I know some of you might suggest treekin but i dont have the models. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this, thanks
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: 2 treemen in 2000

Post by frogboy »

Why not give it a try and let us know how it works out
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

A quick scan of common tournament lists for WE reveals that triple treeman is popular. I've never run it, but I assume that it's popular because it works.
If three in 2500 works, why not two in 2000?
So I say give it a crack! Certainly don't think it's a silly suggestion.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Drstrangelove wrote: If three in 2500 works, why not two in 2000?
Because in 2500 you can also have lvl 4 Spellweaver and it is a huge difference.
But of course, try it and you will see. And let us know ;)

Good luck!
Ishamael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ishamael »

Yes as stated Triple Treeman is awesome as level 4 caster still fits. I have played it a few times and it is rock solid. I run a fair chunk of Treekin as well and have rolled Chaos, my main opponent, a number of times. Mainly as they can't refues challenges from AoN TMA. An artillery heavy list with Fast Cav would be bad but that is why we have our eagle noble. At 2k no caster will likely be a disaster. Any amount of magic will give you fits.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

I'm actually not convinced no magic is the disaster it's made out to be. The "you need lv4 for magical defence" is the common comment. But there are a number of players around here that do remarkably well without magic. One bret pegasi list, empire shooty list, a number of pure khorne lists. The trick is to ensure that the points you haven't invested in magic give you an overwhelming advantage in another aspect of the game. Movement, shooting, combat, etc. and two treeman at 2k would give you that kind of overwhelming combat advantage.

Sure it had its poor matchups, particularly when the winds of magic are blowing strong. But I'm not sure i believe it's an intrinsically flawed list. Realistically most phases they only get enough dice to get ioff two spells, and by chucking all your dispel dice at one of them you limit them to only ine spell getting through a turn. I'm yet to play a no magic list (although I've just used a lv1 with scroll....albeit I was getting smashed by empire light council and skaven dreaded 13th, which I play against a lot) but if I had a bit more balls I'd love to try it.

So in summary to OP: give it a go!
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

Just take a lvl 1 with a toad scroll
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

No magic isn't a disaster. You, on average get 275 to 330 points by doing it. If you build for target saturation it works better.

I would take a flying Doombull over a lvl 4 WE caster any day ;-)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

I hear ya. If there is anything more fun to use than a flybull I don't know what it is. And one of those rare times when fun and competitive overlap.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

I just wrote a beastmen list with a flying doombull in it today!

I have been running a flying death mage + herdstone, which is also a lot of fun.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

I ran 3 treemen in a tournament recently and got crushed, but I'm not a very good player! :p

If anything, they gave my opponents a real run for the money when they didn't have two skull cannons or lots of death magic that could kill them before they got into combat.
Lumpin Croop
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lumpin Croop »

I recently ran a 2k list with with a Treeman and Treeman Ancient vs Empire and got a sound victory!

I took two Lv2 Spellsingers with a Dispel Scroll and an Orb, and a Cluster of Radiants on the TA.

My opponent had a Lv4 Fire (gulp!) Wizard and two Warrior Preists.

He had a bit of bad luck, but my Spellsingers manage to prevent anything too bad happening, whilst I targeted his spellcasters with my 2 Great Eagles and my alter assasin! Once the 2 Treemen and 4 Treekin got into combat there was no stopping them!

Can't wait to use this list again!!!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I fear metal magic more than fire magic to be honest, those damage spells are wicked against treemen.