Ideas vs Chaos Dwarfs?

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Ideas vs Chaos Dwarfs?

Post by godswearhats »

So I have an upcoming battle vs Chaos Dwarfs, likely around 2500 pts. I have an interesting plus on my side which is that I have no restrictions on the number of special or rare units I can take.

Does anyone have any interesting ideas? Chaos Dwarfs are nasty nasty, and taking Treemen or Tree Kin is just a bad idea (e.g. their lore attribute gives them extra d3 to their casting total if they target a model with Flammable, and 50% of their army is flaming). Input welcomed!

~gwh
Last edited by godswearhats on 18 Nov 2013, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Ideas vs Chaos Dwarfs?

Post by Mollesvinet »

Only thing i know is that you will need an eagle noble with a 2++ against fire to counter his k'dai destroyer.
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Orks, Space Wolves

Post by Balakul »

I am not much of a general... so take my advice with caution :)

It seems to me... C Dwarfs heavy lack of ranged attack in comparison with their cheerful counterpart cousins... so I would try to shoot 'em out. I think your best option would be Asrai Core Glade guards, or maybe even Glade riders, you can just run around him and shoot at him. If you manage to take out his bull centaurs and wolf riders or whateva he might field, I don't think he 'll left with much options to chase down your shooters.

But as I said, take my advice with caution, because my advice is based on theory and not on any practice :)
Crobat Balakul
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

No rare or special limit? Spam eagles to kill his warmachines. Use eagle noble to block k'daai. Fill the rest with lvl 4 mage and glade guare since everything else good in the army is flammable :p
mryam
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mryam »

I'd mostly have GG and a WR unit for some punch.

If he has lots of Hobgoblins just ignore them for bows and kill them with WR or WHR

GE with noble is a sure thing as it will start by messing him up.

Agree with you completely for not taking TK or treeman but you might get away with Dryads

My Chaos Dwarf opponent always runs with plenty of Hobgoblins as we use generic armies, so not really sure, just my opinion
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Thing about chaos dwarfs is that it is REALLY hard to get points from their war machines: they don't explode and are tough as nails in combat.

I'd definitely be trying to kill his core and characters for their points, with GG and then wild riders/dryads to finish them off, and trying just to tie up the warmachines with eagles. Make your GG units bigger to avoid panic, make them easier to regrowth and harder to get points from.....although you have to put them in a long line of course to avoid the template hits hurting too bad.
But given how few drops they have typically it may be worth spamming waywatchers. They can tie up (and maybe even destroy the weaker ones) war machines, shoot from behind (all their shooting is move or fire, bar war machines and if they want to shoot at 5 man WW units than that's fantastic), etc.

I'd also bring life rather than beasts on my weaver. Dwellers to take those blocks, regrowth to make war machine damage not a big deal. Not losing your weaver to a miscast is also part of the doctrine of not giving up points easily.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

Hey GWH

I got a few of my opinions re: WE vs CD in the thing in my comment footer. Thing. There may be something in there that helps, there may not. Hope it does.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

Drstrangelove wrote:Thing about chaos dwarfs is that it is REALLY hard to get points from their war machines: they don't explode and are tough as nails in combat.
Just to clarify as well, they do explode (black powder table) unless your opponent has one of his mages nearby as they double as an engineer (except on the iron daemon) but their high toughness makes it difficult to wound from range. In combat though, the crew only have heavy armour and no shield. So thats your best option.mfor warmachines.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Yeah Eagles seem good against their WM. Or Wild Riders.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord