Call of the Hunt Wyssans Wardancers

Moderator: Council of Elders

waywatcher*kenobi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarves

Post by waywatcher*kenobi »

I thought of this strategy a year ago but I play so infrequently I haven't really been able to try it. I often see that people don't use as many wardancers as me. I also see that no one uses the lore of athel loren. Yes, I know it isn't as good, but I think call of the hunt is one of the best spells in the game.

What if you cast wyssans wildform and call of the hunt on a unit of say 5 wardancers that had charged and were in combat with the +1A dance? Then you would have 20 str5 attacks from 90 points (though the mages should be calculated into it). Has anyone tried this? Or is just the possibility of getting both spells off too low to make it worth investing at least one lv2 mage? Or rather my strategy for taking on hordes is taking units of 12 wardancers and stretching them in a line. Then you can charge hordes and if you have both these spells on them you dish out 48 str5 attacks for 216 points. Just my two cents since I haven't seen anyone else suggesting this strategy. I also contemplated the same thing with taking Glade Guard hordes and then if they were in combat casting both spells on them so each GG would have 2 str4 attacks and actually make them feasible in combat.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Rhuell
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Dogs of War, Goblins

Re: Call of the Hunt Wyssans Wardancers

Post by Rhuell »

Its to cost ineffective to work. I know a player that uses lots of Wardancers and always tries to cast Wyssan's, but for your strategy you would need both the Level 4 beasts and either a level 2 athel Loren who is really lucky rolling spells or another Level 4. Then you have to get both off. Save yourself the points and just add more Wardancers to the unit.
To see all of my current gaming adventures, check out: www.rhuell.blogspot.com
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I have thought about it as well, mostly my reflections about such musings are "Wardancers cost too much for what they accomplish"

Jut cast Wissan's on 20 Dryads;-)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

20 dryads can't all strike. 5 war dancers can pretty much all strike the same model, let alone unit.
Damage output over such a small frontage is insane.

The issue is the odds of getting call of the hunt on a level 2: it simply isn't high enough
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

20 Dryads will have 30 S 5 attacks, 5 Wardancers are a throwaway unit.

But please if you find play testing with 5 Wardancers successful share your experiences. We are all looking for new ways to play
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

You'd only get that many attacks against horded 25mm infantry, which you don't see a lot.

That would be the value in such a tactic: a throw away unit that suddenly becomes a blender.
If only there was a way to virtually guarantee call of the hunt without having to invest 250 points in the lore of athel Loren.
Pity there's no way we will get to keep this spell once we get an update (assuming the update makes the lore decent)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

There is no throw away in 20 Dryads, far less than any size of Wardancers.

Dryads are still good and better with an augment.

I also see a lot of 25 mm hordes, if no one in your gaming group runs a horde of plague bearers to should then ;)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

I see SOBU horde, but not PB, tend to be in smaller units.
Regardless I don't think 20 dryads is a good comparison for what the OP suggested. 8 dryads is the same points value.
I don't disagree with you that this tactic isn't viable, but I don't think it's because dryads are intrinsically better with the same magical support (rather that the magical support suggested isn't cost effective). The value of attacks over a smaller frontage is something I've really grown to love after playing LM and Beastmen for so long. 25mm infantry just can't focus attacks the way 20mm can and you often end up paying for models that can't attack as they aren't in contact with anything.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I think what pops is saying is without the need for a level 2 you could spend the points on a more point effective unit of 20 dryads which are much better all round, higher initiative tougher stronger and more attacks with a ward save...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

frogboy wrote:I think what pops is saying is without the need for a level 2 you could spend the points on a more point effective unit of 20 dryads which are much better all round, higher initiative tougher stronger and more attacks with a ward save...
In that case we agree