Opinions on the best Noble/Highborn builds.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Opinions on the best Noble/Highborn builds.

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm not knowledgable on the Lore of Metal. How does LoM get past a ward save of 2+? And how does KB get past a ward save?
Did you mean a 2+ armour save?
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Killing blow doesn't activate the stone of rebirth, the character just dies same as if he didn't have a ward save at all.
Metal magic will wound the alter on a 2+, golden hounds+ searing doom will do 7 hits that all wound on 2+. That's two turns to kill the alter, or one if he decides to boost searing doom.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Moose123 wrote:I'm a fan of the eagle highborn, because he can have a decent armor save aaannnddd a 4+ ward, that's a big deal imo. Because metal magic and kb will melt your alter, even if he has a 2+ ward.
There's a counter to everything, except for us Wood Elves who struggle against everything, it's making the best of what you've got that's the trick.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

You are right of course, the reason I brought it up is because the popularity of metal magic is increasing in my area.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Thank goodness it's only empire, DE, LM, and HE that get access to it.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Just realised the sarcasm probably didnt come across properly. What I was trying to imply was that with the new warriors and daemons books there has been a huge increase in metal magic use.
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

It's a very powerful lore, especially in the armor heavy meta.
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Drstrangelove wrote:Just realised the sarcasm probably didnt come across properly. What I was trying to imply was that with the new warriors and daemons books there has been a huge increase in metal magic use.
Out of 5 games in my last tournament, I only saw it once, and that was on a Level 2 Chaos Sorcerer. Even wandering the tables after my games I don't remember seeing its use much. It must be different where you are.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Really? That's interesting. Around here you can't find a chaos lv2 or herald that isn't bringing metal to the table. I know two HE players that use it consistently on their arch mage, and the other day I saw a Slann rocking it....which I was most taken aback with, as it used to be one of th worst choices for LM. I asked the bloke why he took metal, and his comment was that with the amount of MC around he's able to get so many easy points with it and at the same time remove his opponents best way to deal with his Saurus blocks. So unless they can kill all his chaff he's almost certain of a minor win.
Had to say the logic was pretty solid.
The only army that has access to it that I don't see bringing metal (except maybe on a scroll caddie) is Empire, as they have so many more reliable ways to get rid of armoured foes
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Drstrangelove wrote:Really? That's interesting. Around here you can't find a chaos lv2 or herald that isn't bringing metal to the table. I know two HE players that use it consistently on their arch mage, and the other day I saw a Slann rocking it....which I was most taken aback with, as it used to be one of th worst choices for LM. I asked the bloke why he took metal, and his comment was that with the amount of MC around he's able to get so many easy points with it and at the same time remove his opponents best way to deal with his Saurus blocks. So unless they can kill all his chaff he's almost certain of a minor win.
Had to say the logic was pretty solid.
The only army that has access to it that I don't see bringing metal (except maybe on a scroll caddie) is Empire, as they have so many more reliable ways to get rid of armoured foes
Actually the lore of metal was the best lore for skink cloud lists with the last book, and because skink skirmishers are the only decent core lizardmen have it's still a solid choice.
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
elvishhealer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by elvishhealer »

Lords :

. 2+ armour save item, bow of loren, HoDA, scout or semi-bunkered.
. forest dragon or wild rider kindred, offensive build
. wizarding hat (dragon or kindred, cheap defensive build mage)
. monstrous arcanum book items 85-250 points

Heroes :

. no wardancer kindred, always disappear after one combat due to low T, same for wild rider
. eternal guard bunker -> stubborn + spear/glaive-wise offsensive build
. scout fighters versus bow of loren and HoDA ("may never join units" rule)
. branchwraith as lvl 1 wiz (defensive magic as above) + forest spirit rule, as above, bunkered in skirmishing dryads