Question about Wood Elf army composition

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kaeldas
Newcomer
Newcomer

Question about Wood Elf army composition

Post by Kaeldas »

Hey, I tried searching around for specific answers, but I was unable to find anything, I don't own the Codex yet and I won't be able to get it for a while (I prefer to buy models first) however I'm trying to build an army that is viable fluff-wise and I was hoping for help, warning: there will be some rambling.

Okay, so originally I was going to make my Wood Elf army a snow themed one, but then I found out if I do that I can't use Dryads (Apparently they slumber during the winter or something) So that went out quickly, after that I decided to do either a Summer or Spring themed army.

I love: Eternal Guard (Favorite Unit), Glade Guard, Drayds, Wild Riders (Second Favorite), Great Eagles, Wardancers, Waywatchers and Treemen/kin (...okay, so basically everything in the army) but I don't know what can be put with what.

For example, apparently during the Summer Eternal Guard are busy guarding the Queen's Court and that's when the Wild Riders are out gallivanting around trying to hunt down their quarry, would it be possible for both of these units to be in the same army?

I don't know much about Wild Riders outside of the hunt, but they don't really seem like, fluff-wise, they would fit into any armies that don't include Orion/are based on a summer theme, and even then at that point the Eternal Guard would be guarding the queen wouldn't they?

Sorry, but basically I'm trying to ask: Is it possible to use Eternal Guard and Wild Riders in the same list without breaking fluff and then if you can, what other units can fit into that army as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Question about Wood Elf army composition

Post by Billthesurly »

You will answer so many of your own questions by aquiring the army book. I would advise you to do so ASAP. It is a fantasy game. If you want to have Dryads in the snow... why not? If you want to be a fluff lawyer... pardon me - "a strict adherent to army/racial background and ecology guidelines", then you must find reasons for what you do.

Suppose it is spring and the trees have awakened but then there is a late cold snap with a snowfall? Hey Presto! Dryads in the snow! And I think that spring paint jobs with a dusting of snow would be very unusual and striking. Suppose it is a particularly warm fall and the Dryads are still out and then the cold snap comes with first snowfall? Again, fall theme with snow. Heck, FULL SUMMER AND SOME WIZARD THROWS A WEATHER SPELL THAT CAUSES SNOW! After all, what better spell to cast to begin a campaign against Athel Loren? Remember, with magic all things are possible.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Kaeldas wrote:Hey, I tried searching around for specific answers, but I was unable to find anything, I don't own the Codex yet and I won't be able to get it for a while (I prefer to buy models first) however I'm trying to build an army that is viable fluff-wise and I was hoping for help, warning: there will be some rambling.

Okay, so originally I was going to make my Wood Elf army a snow themed one, but then I found out if I do that I can't use Dryads (Apparently they slumber during the winter or something) So that went out quickly, after that I decided to do either a Summer or Spring themed army.

I love: Eternal Guard (Favorite Unit), Glade Guard, Drayds, Wild Riders (Second Favorite), Great Eagles, Wardancers, Waywatchers and Treemen/kin (...okay, so basically everything in the army) but I don't know what can be put with what.

For example, apparently during the Summer Eternal Guard are busy guarding the Queen's Court and that's when the Wild Riders are out gallivanting around trying to hunt down their quarry, would it be possible for both of these units to be in the same army?

I don't know much about Wild Riders outside of the hunt, but they don't really seem like, fluff-wise, they would fit into any armies that don't include Orion/are based on a summer theme, and even then at that point the Eternal Guard would be guarding the queen wouldn't they?

Sorry, but basically I'm trying to ask: Is it possible to use Eternal Guard and Wild Riders in the same list without breaking fluff and then if you can, what other units can fit into that army as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.
Actually, you could easily do a Winter-based force in the snow and still include Dryads. While most of them and the other forrest spirits become dormant and hibernate during winter,a few still stay active, and more are awakened if the forrest is threatened. Indeed, the description in the Army Book (which you really should by quickly) of the Battle of the Cairns depicts winter Dryads as 'crone-like' and very very angry.

Meanwhile Wild Riders, when not rampaging through the countryside during the wild hunt, spend their time guarding the King's Glade, even in winter (especially then, since they don't really have anything else to do until Orion is re-incarnated come springtime).

So you could have a winter-based force from the King's Glade, which would include Eternal Guard (since in winter they defend everywhere), Wild Riders (sallying out to defend the King's Glade) and Dryads (roused to combat the intruders).
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

You could do a Loren Star, (eternal guard unit with characters) and a wild rider glass nuke. Ok maybe in a 10000 point game :p

I love winter themed armies, go for it. But only if you post pics :D
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer