3 Branchwraiths vs 3 treekin

Moderator: Council of Elders

JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

3 Branchwraiths vs 3 treekin

Post by JohnnyP »

In units of 3 ( or 6) which is more viable for the same points cost?
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Re: 3 Branchwraiths vs 3 treekin

Post by irishfarmer »

JohnnyP wrote:In units of 3 ( or 6) which is more viable for the same points cost?
Maybe I am misunderstanding the rule (which could very well be) but I don't think that you can have a unit of 3 branchwraiths. I think you can only upgrade one of them in the unit. Perhaps I may also be misunderstanding the direction of your question. Are you thinking of having three units of Dryads and then upgrading one in each to branchwraiths, and comparing the value of that to just having a unit of Treekin?
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

I think your refereing to Nymphs which are the unit champions of the dryads...
In 8th edition unless im very much mistaken units can form there own unit. Therefore you can have a unit of three branchwraiths which can disperse as nessesary.
I'd say its pretty even stats wise... with TK being more durable but less quick/manouvrable and no access to sprites. Also a lot cheaper £££ wise to convert some dryads... 2x6 Branchwraiths (1300 of your army) for potentially £20? A pretty good deal although two units of 6 would be a bit of a points drop... But my question still stands which would you say is the better option?
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Post by irishfarmer »

JohnnyP wrote:I think your refereing to Nymphs which are the unit champions of the dryads...
In 8th edition unless im very much mistaken units can form there own unit. Therefore you can have a unit of three branchwraiths which can disperse as nessesary.
Yep I see my error. So then what you are arguing is that these are character models who could be able to form up a unit together... Never occured to me to try it since I was under a misunderstanding. Is there a metal/finecast piece for them?

I also like the idea that they can be upgraded to wizards...though its pricey.
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
Nogami
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nogami »

I don't know if you can just make your branchwraith a single unit without dryads.
But if you can, there is a major difference : the treekins count as special points while the branchwraith as heroes.
So if you have some remaining hero points i will prefere the branchwraith to make an attacking unit, but in defense i think the scaly skin is really a good thing...

If you make a game with branchwaiths instead of treekins, i will be interested of the report !
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Not too bad an idea, especially with some Beast weaver support. A Wildform gives them the same S & T as Treekin, but even better, a boosted Savage Beasts would make them very very nasty.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Cariddis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos Space Marines, Wood Elves

Post by Cariddis »

For each Branchwraight your opponent kills he'll gain 65 points, meanwhile he must kill the WHOLE Treekin unit to gain the points. That's risky IMO.
Ethelite
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ethelite »

Pretty interesting, but where actually is it written in the RB? Also what formation would they have?
Cariddis wrote:For each Branchwraight your opponent kills he'll gain 65 points, meanwhile he must kill the WHOLE Treekin unit to gain the points. That's risky IMO.
65 Ain't that much, and think u get half the point of the unit if u leave a "normal unit" below 25% or so now? + treekins always die whole anyways haha

Also, if that kind of unit is possible, i guess an opposing player would have to distribute his attacks on every wraith, must probably losing some of them in the process (ie. like in a challenge but without the overkill bonus), whereas u normally chip out all of them into the normal unit. Again tho less wounds total, but bigger mobility and higher WS and I. I'd probably give one of the wraiths the k6 s2 poison atacks bonus too, cos if u have lucky rolls, it'll be a killer on monsters (poison generally is lol).
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

Some great feedback so far guys thanks!

- Theres no "official" branchwraith model though the Drycha model is labelled as Drycha/B.W on there site.
- I would certainly include a beastweaver in any list with them to be honest. Do tree spirits count as beasts for the +1 to cast? Id assume treekin and treeman do but not so sure with branchwraiths and dryads...

-And that had'nt really occured to me that they would get the points for each one which is a bit of a disadvantage i guess... But i think theyd see more combat with the higher movement Id probably go for either one unit of 3 or a unit of 6 with only one spirte each maximum and no wizard upgrades.

-I will hopefully be able to try this out soon and get a battle report up! Ofcourse feel free to try it and let me know if its worth it...

(I'd still include treekin in the list as they were my favourite models ever since 7th edition not design wise per say but there's just something about fielding monstrous infantry...And them being for wood elfs... (bring on the stag knighss/solo bear units/Bears with dryads on them!!) )
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

Pretty interesting, but where actually is it written in the RB? Also what formation would they have?
Well im not sure of the page number of hand but I'm pretty sure its under characters just and the gist of it is they can form there own units but with no look out sir/ + randomised shooting etc... and base size permitting of course... And just as with infantry I'm assuming for formation.
Unless of course Iv'e lost the plot and actually read that on a wish-listing forum or something like that but I'm pretty sure you can with 8th though unfortunately is all theory hammer thus far so I haven't been able to actually try this out/see it happen but I understand its quite successful with goblin players...
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Put Your spellweaver on a unicorn and in with the branchwraiths=coolest unit ever!
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Are single characters skirmishers? Are 3?

Moonstone them for more wackiness.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

popisdead wrote:Are single characters skirmishers? Are 3?

Moonstone them for more wackiness.
No they don't count as skirmishers and the 3 would just be rank and file as well unless they already all share the skirmish special rule... Moonstone could be a game changer if you could get a unit of 6 dryads behind enemy lines first/second turn in :evil:
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

So then you could add a unicorn moonstone caster in hopes of getting Call of the Hunt as well.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Yes! And a second unicorn caster for savage beast!
Goodbye any unit near a forest turn 1 :evil:
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

JohnnyP wrote: Do tree spirits count as beasts for the +1 to cast? Id assume treekin and treeman do but not so sure with branchwraiths and dryads...
No, BW is infantry so no +1 to cast :(

I think 3xBW vs 3xTK are only better, when you have The Savage Beast of Horrors or Pann´s Impenetrable Pelt on them. Without these spells, that target your characters, are TK better.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

I'd love to moonstone a wild rider noble and four branchwraiths into my opponents table half.

My only gripe is the range of any beast spells that my lvl 4 wants to cast on that unit.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Crap now I need to buy a second unicorn :/
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

Moose123 wrote:Put Your spellweaver on a unicorn and in with the branchwraiths=coolest unit ever!
Finally a way to have glamour weave kindred join a "unit of dryads" in a roundabout/expensive way!... Makes for an outstanding bunker for a Beastweaver though and it would look amazing one question though with the transformation spell what will happen to the unicorn whilst he remains transformed?? :confused:
thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by thunderbow »

The thing with the Branchwraiths you're onto is perhaps the best attempt at Savage Beast spam unit I've ever seen/read about. It sounds very very interesting, I might as well give it a try when I get back into WHFB (after the school year's done :D). However, have you thought of putting all those BWs and what not in an actual unit of 8 (that's the minimum number of 'em, right?) dryads just for the -1 to hit and Look out Sir?
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)
eichhornchen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eichhornchen »

JohnnyP wrote:
Moose123 wrote:Put Your spellweaver on a unicorn and in with the branchwraiths=coolest unit ever!
Finally a way to have glamour weave kindred join a "unit of dryads" in a roundabout/expensive way!... Makes for an outstanding bunker for a Beastweaver though and it would look amazing one question though with the transformation spell what will happen to the unicorn whilst he remains transformed?? :confused:
Hello there,

Transformation of Kadon only works 1. on the wizard casting it 2. if he/she is on foot.
But I do like the idea of teleporting Branchwraiths very much. And as Ethelite wrote, any attack on a hero-only unit needs to be distributed which would indirectly protect the unit. Just don't attack a Banner of the World-Dragon unit with it...

Eichhörnchen
JohnnyP
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyP »

eichhornchen wrote: Hello there,

Transformation of Kadon only works 1. on the wizard casting it 2. if he/she is on foot.
But I do like the idea of teleporting Branchwraiths very much. And as Ethelite wrote, any attack on a hero-only unit needs to be distributed which would indirectly protect the unit. Just don't attack a Banner of the World-Dragon unit with it...

Eichhörnchen
Thanks for clearing that up though i really should have remembered that... Indeed some good ideas are coming in! Not really sure there's much we could do there other than eternal guard blocks and swarms of wardancers... Or more reliably MASS glade guard fire. At least we only get it half as bad as Deamons.