SLAP!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

SLAP!

Post by Moose123 »

So of all the slaps to the face that wood elf players received from the new high elf book one stood out above all others for me.

The Prince stat line,

M 5
Ws 7
Bs 7
S 4
T 3
W 3
I 8
A 4
Ld 10

How does a prince get higher ballistic skill than a Way watcher highborn? A waywatcher highborn is be the best archer, of the best archers, of the beast archers in the entire warhammer world. How does it happen that a high elf prince would beat him in a archery contest?

Anyway I just thought I would point this out as completely idiotic.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Re: SLAP!

Post by dusk1983 »

Matt Ward.

EDIT: also we have an outdated army book. Its to be expected. I mean how do you think dark angels ravenwing players felt when an vanilla space marines army could take all bikes? Or Vampire counts players felt when a lifemage could bring more units back from the dead than them?

The point is that as the game progresses, certain armies became out of date. Now they're not. Because the rotation came around and they got some love. Its slow and a long time coming but we're going to get some attention and when we do, wood elves are going to be back on top of the archery food chain. (and then 9th edition will hit and archery will suck)

EDIT++: also there are a whole heap of threads entitled "slap!" on the portal page but none of them have anything in them, were they done by you?
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

That's weird because in my posts it's just this one.

I know why it happened, doesn't mean I have to like it ;)
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

hmm interesting. I noticed they all appeared yesterday.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

maybe BS doesn't stand for ballistic skill??

my HE mate who has some surprising luck with rumours believes that WE's are due to be the last book in 8th. So maybe we'll be the next Necrons ;)
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

Sunshine coconut wrote: my HE mate who has some surprising luck with rumours believes that WE's are due to be the last book in 8th. So maybe we'll be the next Necrons ;)
an interesting theory I'm (somewhat optimistically) concocting is to extrapolate from two existing rumours.

Rumour 1: All elf books by the one author.
Rumour 2: Dark elves in november (6 months from HE)

so if theres 6 months between high elves and dark elves, then there may be 6 months between dark elves and wood elves? If both of the above rumours are true it makes sense that the one writer works through the three books methodically and limits his interraction with other army books in order to "keep his head in the game" as they say.
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Well, HnH of warseer have both said that 9th edition will be the end of armybooks. You can check it out under release schedule rumors 2.0
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

hmmm. sorry to derail your thread Mister Moose, but when you say "the end of army books" do you mean that all army books will be updated to 8th before 9th comes out? or that 9th will somehow incorporate all the individual army rules into the BRB?
-dragon-
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by -dragon- »

Just another evidence that our book is hopelessly outdated and only barely playable. Doesn't surprise me at all.
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Post by irishfarmer »

dusk1983 wrote:hmmm. sorry to derail your thread Mister Moose, but when you say "the end of army books" do you mean that all army books will be updated to 8th before 9th comes out? or that 9th will somehow incorporate all the individual army rules into the BRB?
Yes, I would like more clarity in what you mean as well. Personally, I would not mind one bit seeing an end to the army books, and having everything all in one tome. FAQ's and errata will then be the way to keep armies updated, and allow us to save a lot of money! On that note, however, saving money is not what GW is about. This alone suggests that they will keep making us buy army books! :nod:
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
ryanabt
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ryanabt »

As in there will be some sort of 9th ed book that incorporates all army lists, allows allies, and negates previous books.

WE will remain a half fact with not quite enough models, but will be allowed allies. THIS STINKS because we will not be viable without hopping into bed with those prancing horsemen.
Admiral_Wow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Eldar

Post by Admiral_Wow »

I doubt that GW would put all books into one tome. Not a smart business move, but then again it is GW.

I had been wondering if the elf character stat line would change, it looks like it has. Well that is good news for us i suppose, whenever we finally get a update our characters should have the same stat line. Which should be fun.

I have read that Woodies or brets should be the last book of 2014 and the other being the first in 2015. Of course it is too far off to be make any real predictions. I also believe that the rats/beast will most likely be the last books to be updated, since they are not on any time line I have seen.
Andrew
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Andrew »

Word is that it will be WE and Beastmen in the 9th edition box, making them the first books of 9th edition.

The concept of the "block" is going away as well, and all models will be individual, like 40k, hence why it's WE and Beastmen, to showcase that new style.
Ethelite
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ethelite »

Andrew wrote:Word is that it will be WE and Beastmen in the 9th edition box, making them the first books of 9th edition.

The concept of the "block" is going away as well, and all models will be individual, like 40k, hence why it's WE and Beastmen, to showcase that new style.
That sounds pretty stupid, as more and more the systems would became the same thing, with just different models... and after that what? U'll be able to place space marines vs vampire counts lol? ... Also shouldn't 9ed be just an updated 8ed?
Andrew
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Andrew »

Should be, but some of the more trustworthy sources are saying it'll be radically different. We'll see.
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Post by irishfarmer »

Andrew wrote:Should be, but some of the more trustworthy sources are saying it'll be radically different. We'll see.

Where are these sources? Warseer? So far, in my limited experience, those rumors don't seem to be terribly accurate.
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
Admiral_Wow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Eldar

Post by Admiral_Wow »

irishfarmer wrote:
Andrew wrote:Should be, but some of the more trustworthy sources are saying it'll be radically different. We'll see.

Where are these sources? Warseer? So far, in my limited experience, those rumors don't seem to be terribly accurate.
I believe it was harry that said 9th will be a big change but never, explained what that meant.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

Ethelite wrote: That sounds pretty stupid, as more and more the systems would became the same thing, with just different models...
I agree with you here, it doesnt make sense to make fantasy more like 40k BUT those of us who play both and have been exposed to the travesty of 6th ed 40k know that there was a pretty solid attempt to make 40k more like the current iteration of fantasy. (random charges, mystery terrain, instituting a stand and shoot option, roll for psychic powers etc.) So I wouldnt be surprised if they then turned around to try make fantasy more like 40k. Although I fail to see the point of having two seperate systems if they play exactly the same.
Andrew wrote:Word is that it will be WE and Beastmen in the 9th edition box, making them the first books of 9th edition.
Being in the starting box doesnt mean youre the first books of the edition, I'm afraid. 7th ed O&G and dwarves: dwarves is still to this day a 6th ed book, and if I remember correctly Orcs were not the first off the bat. 8th ed Skaven and High Elves: Skaven is still a 7th ed book and High Elves have only just come out now, 2 years after 8th edition. (I only started playing regularly in 7th with my own army, so I didnt pay any attention before that)
Andrew wrote:The concept of the "block" is going away as well, and all models will be individual, like 40k, hence why it's WE and Beastmen, to showcase that new style.
This doesnt make sense simply from a marketing point of view. GW loves selling LOTS of models not a few. The average 40k army is about 50 - 70 models. The average fantasy army is at least double that. All current trends see points values of models going down so we have to buy more to flesh out a specific point sized army. Making fantasy into a skirmishing game makes absolutely no sense. Where are you getting these rumours from? I'd be interested to read. I've read from Harry and Hastings on warseer and there are hints of 9th ed being more than just an update, but nothing about getting rid of regiments.
irishfarmer wrote: Personally, I would not mind one bit seeing an end to the army books, and having everything all in one tome. FAQ's and errata will then be the way to keep armies updated, and allow us to save a lot of money!
See I *HATE* this idea because without a full army book to explore the background and the fluff of each army, they'd lose there particular individuality and identity. It would just be a BRB filled with stat blocks. I don't want to play stat blocks. I want to play Wood Elves represented by stat blocks. (if that makes sense)
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

I never heard about regiments going away, it doesn't really make sense.

Buuutttt, here is a link to the thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... umours-2-0
So nerd rage is mentioned as is the end of armybooks, also lots of talk how WHFB is not making enough money and how SPez MeRiens are holding the whole company up :roll:
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

hmmm. Mr Moose those rumours are depressing. But they're in the future. Lets hope they're false I guess. All we can do.
-dragon-
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by -dragon- »

Moose123 wrote:I never heard about regiments going away, it doesn't really make sense.

Buuutttt, here is a link to the thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... umours-2-0
So nerd rage is mentioned as is the end of armybooks, also lots of talk how WHFB is not making enough money and how SPez MeRiens are holding the whole company up :roll:
That's pretty much what I thought when I first read these rumors. It makes some sense though, since in my meta 40k seems to be the way more popular thing, too. So it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to me if they made Fantasy a niche product like LotR/Hobbit. It would be a shame though. A goddamn shame. Since I totally agree with what dusk said. There's simply no room for all the fluff and modelling and stuff we get in our army books if they were all merged into one rule book, and this is at least 50% of the entire game. I mean, we don't love our models for the stats, do we? If we did, we'd be playing WoC or something like that.

I really hope these rumors are wrong.
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Well we can always switch over to this,
http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/i ... &Itemid=51

Sounds like it will be pretty cool after they finish up all the armies and the rules in a few years.
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Andrew
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Andrew »

From a marketing sense, it does jive that they want to make fantasy more like 40k. 40k is selling well because 6th is strong. When they want to look good for potential investors and buyers, they'll want to make all the systems sell well.
Being in the starting box doesnt mean youre the first books of the edition, I'm afraid.
If 6th edition 40k is any indication, that's exactly what it means. ;)

I got my info from my friend who said it was whineseer folks, so that's all I know on it.

Well, I also know that I don't like any of these hints. I don't like that army books might go away (and it makes zero sense), I don't like that it might go to a free-form game (WHFB is predicated on the blocks), and heck I don't even like that a new edition is around the corner. I like this edition!
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

Andrew wrote: 40k is selling well because 6th is strong.
This fact makes me sad. 6th edition 40k has all the hassles of fantasy with none of the elegance and simplicity. I've stopped playing 40k altogether with 6th ed, because it just made the game needlessly complicated where it didnt need to be and over simplified where it mattered.
Caledrith
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: High Elves, Empire, Wood Elves

Post by Caledrith »

That horribly awkward moment when you are a HE player but have 6x more posts on the Woodies forum after coming back after a 2 year break.

I must admit that I feel like the High Elf Prince being BS 7 is correct, but I feel like WE just need an update more than any other book (bar Beasties). They are just lacking in every department.
GO BYU!!! GO the men in White and Blue!!!
We are better then the rest, we are the very best!
We are Number 7! Watching us is football heaven!
Ra, Ra, rarara, GOOOOO COUGARS!!!!!!!!

ImageImage
Yay, more dragon eggs!!!