Spirit Sword FAQ

Moderator: Council of Elders

Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Spirit Sword FAQ

Post by Moose123 »

Maybe when we get a new book it will be useful.
I think that it should be like the spirit leach spell and the guy wielding thesword never takes any wounds, that way it is worthwhile even against high leadership combat characters.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Cariddis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos Space Marines, Wood Elves

Post by Cariddis »

Moose123 wrote:Maybe when we get a new book it will be useful.
I think that it should be like the spirit leach spell and the guy wielding thesword never takes any wounds, that way it is worthwhile even against high leadership combat characters.
I'd be great but I suppose it would cost far more than 55 points ;)
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Maybe 70-75 points? Still enough to take annoyance so you can still be safe in challenges, also in our next book our characters will get heavy armor so he'll have a pretty good armor save. and a 10 point item that forces people to accept our challenges, but also forces us to declare them.

He could be good enough to start running in a competitive list :nod:

*snap*
(Wakes up from dream)

Damn do I want a new wood elf book:tear:
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Cariddis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Cariddis »

Moose123 wrote:Damn do I want a new wood elf book:tear:
I'm dreaming about new rules as well as new units (such as spites swarms), and I'm confident that we won't wait much longer.
Untile then we have to endure. Maybe they'll FAQ the spirit sword in a near future, not allowing regen either.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

Before peeps get too upset about allowing or not allowing regen, is there anything in the game with a regen better than 4+?

Take hydra for instance:

First it gets its normal saves against the highborns auto wounding weapon. *BUT* the critter is only leadership 6 compared to highborns 10 immediately giving the highborn a four point advantage on the roll. Lets say both players roll the same on the dice, the hydra is still copping 2wounds, of which it may save 1 + the initial wound/s caused by the spirit sword. Meaning 3 wounds on hydra. And -3 combat res to the hydra. (Are hydras unbreakable?)

How many monsters out there even have regen? Is it prevalent throughout the entire game, every army?

I still think the spirit sword is a really useful killing tool, but like everything in our book, it requires a points drop, and its a precision tool that needs to be used skillfully and applied only where its going to be most appropriate.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
PointedDoom
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by PointedDoom »

Would the SS work with the BoEF the flaming attack would negate the regeneration....perhaps not the best use of it. But could it be done?
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

PointedDoom wrote:Would the SS work with the BoEF the flaming attack would negate the regeneration....perhaps not the best use of it. But could it be done?
Yes it could be. kinda. The problem is if it suffers one or more unsaved flaming wounds it loses its regeneration, yes, but shooting phase is well after the charge phase. Unless your spirit sword weilder is in a unit with the banner (usually reserved for Glade guard) or another close combat unit with the banner (with a higher initiative than your lord) is in the scrap against the hydra or regen critter, theres no real way to go for broke on its many headed-ass.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

dusk1983 wrote:
PointedDoom wrote:Would the SS work with the BoEF the flaming attack would negate the regeneration....perhaps not the best use of it. But could it be done?
Yes it could be. kinda. The problem is if it suffers one or more unsaved flaming wounds it loses its regeneration, yes, but shooting phase is well after the charge phase. Unless your spirit sword weilder is in a unit with the banner (usually reserved for Glade guard) or another close combat unit with the banner (with a higher initiative than your lord) is in the scrap against the hydra or regen critter, theres no real way to go for broke on its many headed-ass.

Yes sadly magic weapons can not become flaming. It is a sword not used much. If you take the Ld of the vargulf then you can on average deal 6 wounds with it, 3 of which will be saved with regen. But since you have 4 attacks, then you can wound it with an average of 1n1/3 wounds in the combat +3 = 4n1/3 wounds and it only has 4. The terrorgheist will prob die also, but you have to be careful if you fail to wound it at all and then you do 0 wounds. Too much luck needed on the best of targets for it to be reliable.

As for the FAQ of it.... I dont really think it is needed. Before 8th the multiple wounds weapon rule said that if the model has only 1 wound you dont roll to see the effects of multiple wounds so it was debatable wether you roll the d6, so a FAQ was needed and it was around. In this edition, pg 45, I cant read anything which supports you dont roll the D6 even with single wound models. Also regen is not mentioned and that is why the spirit sword is 55 poitns, so you cant combine it with the 50pt regen.
Cariddis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Cariddis »

Bogi wrote:The terrorgheist will prob die also, but you have to be careful if you fail to wound it at all and then you do 0 wounds. Too much luck needed on the best of targets for it to be reliable.

As for the FAQ of it.... I dont really think it is needed. Before 8th the multiple wounds weapon rule said that if the model has only 1 wound you dont roll to see the effects of multiple wounds so it was debatable wether you roll the d6, so a FAQ was needed and it was around. In this edition, pg 45, I cant read anything which supports you dont roll the D6 even with single wound models. Also regen is not mentioned and that is why the spirit sword is 55 poitns, so you cant combine it with the 50pt regen.
You don't need to wound the terrorgheist since the sword inflicts automatic wounds ;)
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

Fail to wound the vargheist is more likely. Still I meant failed to do any wounds, which is failed to hit and they pass the regen 4+, 6+. Then your noble can die esp in the next vamps shooting phase where he will scream at you. Also the vargheist is the best target but still it is hard to get to him since he can move 20" and do a 8" scream at your lord. Good target for a scream even with ld10 it is 3 wounds on average to you with no ward save.
MyNameDidntFit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos & Imperial Guard

Post by MyNameDidntFit »

Moose123 wrote:Maybe when we get a new book it will be useful.
A reasonable idea, but it'll be pricey. Consider: a Runefang is 85 points. Compared to a 'no-downsides' Spirit Sword, we can assume that 'no armour saves' is equivalent to 'd6-off for extra wounds' and you'll have a SS that's 85 points. Priced for the book it's in, you'd be looking at maybe 90 points as the Highborn has +2I and +1WS in his use of the sword--meaning hits first and hits more.

So... Highborn with nothing but this new SS? Sure. Just don't plan on him having any protection.
My blog of painting and Warhammer:
elves in the snow
(rather deceptively, it's actually mostly about my Warriors of Chaos at the moment)
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by dusk1983 »

Yeah I agree with MnDF here, but Moose is right the SS backfire can be particularly nasty especially combined with the "I'll use this one" rule.

Id like for it to have two modes myself. One where it just gives magical +1S attacks and the other mode being the spirit sword weve all come to love to hate.

That way we actually have an effective monster killer in our army (oh no! Woodies have something effective?!) but we dont lose our lord the moment he gets charged by high Ld rank and file.
Guardian of Farthing Wood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Guardian of Farthing Wood »

Bogi wrote:Yes sadly magic weapons can not become flaming.
Slightly off-topic but does this mean that HoDA would not be flaming if in a unit with BoEF?
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Guardian of Farthing Wood wrote:
Bogi wrote:Yes sadly magic weapons can not become flaming.
Slightly off-topic but does this mean that HoDA would not be flaming if in a unit with BoEF?
That's a contentious topic based off your definition of what a 'weapon' is. Technically, by the RAW, the Hail of Doom Arrow is considered an Enchanted Item. As such, it would not be affected by the Magic Weapons don't get flaming attacks rule and would be magical and flaming for the shot.

If you count the HoDA as just a part of a weapon then if the bow firing it is magical, then the shots fired from it would not get flaming attacks, but if non-magical, the shots fired would get flaming attacks.

Suffice to say, confer with your opponent on the interpolation before the game begins, if it'll be a big deal.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Guardian of Farthing Wood wrote:Slightly off-topic but does this mean that HoDA would not be flaming if in a unit with BoEF?
It wouldn't need to be if you're in a unit with it. Fire with the unit first to drop the regen then open up with the HoDA.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
MyNameDidntFit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos & Imperial Guard

Post by MyNameDidntFit »

dusk1983 wrote:Yeah I agree with MnDF here, but Moose is right the SS backfire can be particularly nasty especially combined with the "I'll use this one" rule.

Id like for it to have two modes myself. One where it just gives magical +1S attacks and the other mode being the spirit sword weve all come to love to hate.

That way we actually have an effective monster killer in our army (oh no! Woodies have something effective?!) but we dont lose our lord the moment he gets charged by high Ld rank and file.
I'd say it should be like the 7th Ed Daemonsword in that case--once loosed, it cannot be unloosed. Otherwise it creeps back up to being very powerful.

Oh, and I'd say magic arrows are fine by RAW. The book is pretty clear that 'magic weapon' means 'magic weapon'. Anything else is interpreting the RAI.
My blog of painting and Warhammer:
elves in the snow
(rather deceptively, it's actually mostly about my Warriors of Chaos at the moment)
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

I'm thinking of taking the Spirit Sword on an Alter Kindred, to run around smashing multi-wound low leadership targets. I'm still confused on how it actually works though:

The Alter charges into a Hellcannon, for example. I roll to hit and any successful hits automatically wound. After saves, we both roll a D6 and add our Leadership. But what Leadership is used? Let's say I hit the Hellcannon directly, do I use its Leadership of 4 or the crews Leadership of 9? The sword is hitting the Hellcannon directly, and the description says, ".. their Leadership..", so which to use? The same thing with the Screaming Bell, which has just been FAQ'd to have a Leadership of 0. If I hit the bell does the opponent roll D6+0 or use the units Leadership? What would be the reason? Now, let's say I've charged a unit of Trolls, automatic wounds and roll plus Leadership. Do I roll separately for each wound caused and remove one troll at a time, or do all the wounds get added together to give a final total caused?
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick