Way watchers and the Scout Kindred

Moderator: Council of Elders

Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Way watchers and the Scout Kindred

Post by Findecano »

I'm thinking of running my sniper noble with the Scout kindred (because its cheaper than the WW one) and wanted to check I wasnt missing anything

How does the Forest stalker rule interract with the scout kindred?
Since Forest stalker simply gives Waywatchers the scout rule plus the additional -1 to hit, I assume that there will be no real downsides to taking a scout noble over a WW noble.

Obviously he won't have the killing blow arrows, but since he'll normally be using the Hunters talon and pageant of shrikes that doesn't matter. He also wouldn't get the extra -1 to hit against him, but I think that would only come into play if he was being sniped.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Re: Way watchers and the Scout Kindred

Post by overtninja »

if you're using magic arrows and/or a magic bow (which is the only reason you'd take a scout lord anyway, really), it would deny you the use of lethal shot anyway. scout is always the way to go over waywatcher, for the reasons you've stated. the unit will be at -2 to be hit, -3 in the woods. usually you'll get targeted with non-BS-based shooting or magic.

my question would probably be what you're planning on snipinig - most characters that your opponent would consider important are going to be protected, and str3 shots are going to have a hard time wounding most lord characters to begin with.
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Way watchers and the Scout Kindred

Post by Azaireal »

Put the Scout noble in a Way Watcher unit.
The unit has the debuff to BS shooting, so it protects the character too.

Use the sniper to take out unit champs so a dragon/ancient doesn't get challenged to death.

An alternative is giving the scout the Hail of Doom Arrow. On small units, its almost like using the talon to snipe a character.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?