Turins Chaos Infection (A slow-moving Chaos Warrior project)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Turins Chaos Infection (A slow-moving Chaos Warrior project)

Post by Turin »

This will be a Thread about my growing Army of Chaos Warriors.

I collected them ever since back in 1990 for the cool old Metal ones up to an impressive 250 unpainted Mini Hoard nowadays but never got to paint any - Wood Elves are my first love after all. :nod:

But I painted a Chaos Sorcerer Lord for Aemir in the Mini Exchange 2012/13 and somehow wanted to do some Chaos Warrior Painting for myself.

I'll start this thread off with some pics and explanations to Aemir's Sorcerer and then slowly add my own Warriors ...

On a second note this might go on hiatus as soon as a Wood Elf Armybook is released ... (I know, I know...) :roll:
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Turins Chaos Infection (A slow-moving Chaos Warrior proj

Post by Turin »

I was somewhat at a loss what to do for Aemir when I stumbled over those entries from him :

------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Benigno (WE) vs Aemir (WoC) 2000
by Aemir » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm
Sorcerer Lord, 4lvl, Chaos Armor (4+AS), Mark of Tzeentch (same Lore, +1 to casting, +1 bonus to ward save), Disc of Tzeentch (fly mount, flame attacks, fear)
Third Eye of Tzeentch (Gift, may use the opponents Lore without using own Lore for turn), Conjoined Homunculus (Gift, once per turn may add D3 to casting, Stupidity test at next turn), Power Familiar (Arcane item, +1PD each turn), Talisman of Preservation (Talisman,4+WS), Dragonhelm (+1AS, 2+WS against flame attacks). 435 points
Re: Aemir vs. Lowb
by Aemir » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 pm
Sorcerer Lord, 4lvl, Chaos Armor (4+AS), Mark of Tzeentch (same Lore, +1 to casting, +1 bonus to ward save), Disc of Tzeentch (fly mount, flame attacks, fear)
Conjoined Homunculus (Gift, once per turn may add D3 to casting, Stupidity test at next turn), Power Familiar (Arcane item, +1PD each turn), Talisman of Preservation (Talisman,4+WS), Dragonhelm (+1AS, 2+WS against flame attacks). 410 points

That's when I started to build him exactly this model : :nod:

A Sorcerer Lord in Chaos Armor on a Disc of Tzeentch (actually a converted Promo Button with Green Stuff Belly & Kroxigor Scythes as Blades),
a small red Dragon Homunculus (from Excalibur Miniatures),
a Power Familiar (cut from the Wood Elf Plastic Banner),
a Third Eye of Tzeentch (inplemented in the Staff of the Mage),
a Talisman of Protection (already part of the girdle of the Sorcerer) and
a Dragonhelm (a Helm of a Skullcrusher of Khorne minus its Khorny Parts and added Dragon Wings from a Helm of an old Plastic Bretonnian Knight).
The Mark of Tzeentch is naturally on the skin of the guy and can't be seen because of the Armor, there you go.

I started with the Disc of Tzeentch, a simple Promotion Button for the Board Game "Small World", removed the Needle from the Back and filled it up with a looong roll of "Power Knete".
I already used this Stuff for my Treeman, for details on it see
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4498

01 Button
02 Button underbelly

I wanted for the edge of the disk to look like space, black with a lot of stars and the inside should look like flowing water with light breaking in it, you know, blue with white lines... splashing around and so on ... and this light forming the Sign of Tzeentch. The Belly Would be sickly blue and demonically looking.
Between those two elemental parts I wanted a golden ring with an inscription. So I installed a phoenician font and "translated" it for painting ... :cool:

03 Text

The Result looked like this :

04 Button painted
05 Button underbelly painted
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Next were the Power Familiar (a Wood Elf Sprite cut from the banner) ...
06 Power Familiar
07 Power Familiar painted

the Homunculus (I ran out of luck at my local RPG Shop Paladin's Place with no GW Homunculi available, but I settled for a really nice metal Excalibur Mini-Dragon looking close to the GW Dragon Homunculus),

08 Homunculus

and the Dragon Helm. This was a Helm of a Skull Crusher of Khorne of which I removed the Khorny Bits and then I glued Dragon Wings from an old Plastic Brettonian Knight on it. As you can see I glued the Head to a Nail for easier painting ...

09 Dragonhelm
10 Dragonhelm painted

I tried to position the Familiar and Homunculus in a way that they seemed to cling to the Disc of Tzeentch with their tails ...
11 Disc and Pets
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

The next is a pic to show you that I prefer to paint the parts of a Model and then glue it together afterwards ...
12 Painting in Parts

I wanted to add a simple design to the Coat of the Mage (which you can see penciled next to the disc on Pic 02 already ...
13 Coat Design

And then the guy got glued together and received some varnish ... There you go :
14 Complete Front
15 Complete Back
16 Complete Below
17 Complete Side

It was sent to Aemir in a tin can and seemed to survive the trip more or less without greater damage .... see Aemirs reply :
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 00#p303760

18 Can & Mini
19 Packaged

I really hope Aemir will have fun playing with it as I really had fun painting it.

Best wishes to you, Aemir !

That's the end of the Info on the Miniatur Exchange 2012/13 Model for Aemir. Next is the Start of my own Warriors ...
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

And now a first tease for Things to come.

A pic of my first Chaos Warrior :

Currently I'm stuck in the process of multiplying him ... :smirk:
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

He looks so... positive in that orange armor. Indeed, Tzeentch is a master of deception :cool:
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

That's a unique mage. Good work!
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
LadyOak
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LadyOak »

I love the disc! I have been pondering how to make one to use for my 40k herald for quite a while. Ingenious! I really like how the paint turned out on the smooth top.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Aemir wrote:He looks so... positive in that orange armor. Indeed, Tzeentch is a master of deception :cool:
:confused: My poor Khorne Warrior ... to be linked to the deceiver ... ;)
The photo is a bit lighter than the mini itself - it is red ... after all painted in Blood Red from GW ... :D
Though I have to admit it - they've got a touch of Orange from the Highlighting ...
I'll post a few other pics of him and his 3 (up to now) finished Companions shortly...
popisdead wrote:That's a unique mage. Good work!
Thank you !
LadyOak wrote:I love the disc! I have been pondering how to make one to use for my 40k herald for quite a while. Ingenious! I really like how the paint turned out on the smooth top.
I'm glad you like the Idea - have fun converting one for yourself and show it to us... :nod:
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

As promised a few pics of the current status ...

Chaos Warrior #2 :

Chaos Warrior #3 :

Chaos Warrior #4 :

He's the Standard Bearer of the Unit, but still without Banner ... I like to do this, when I have at least 10 models finished and can get a feel for the look of the Unit with Banner. So currently, there is still just a metal pin where the Banner will be.

Warriors Back :

And the full Group as is :

That's it for now and I will be hard pressed the next few weeks to get anything done ...
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by Revelen »

Ooooh, that is a cool disk. Made cooler by the fact that it's built from a button. Nice. Much better than the standard spikey thing. I've never really been a fan of spikes...
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

I could suggest one thing to the warriors - black and then silver drybrush upon the edges of armor so they could seem like red metal plating. You may try it beforehand somewhere not on the warriors themselves )
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Revelen »

Aemir wrote:I could suggest one thing to the warriors - black and then silver drybrush upon the edges of armor so they could seem like red metal plating. You may try it beforehand somewhere not on the warriors themselves )
I suppose, but then it might look like the paint was a bit worn. I kind of like the pristine, un-markable chaos armour effect. I think it comes across like red metal enough as is, but you could also get a more metal-y effect with some more extreme shading and highlights, hard-edged, not smoothed, with reds and oranges.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Revelen wrote: I suppose, but then it might look like the paint was a bit worn.
Yeah, like the hat emblem of that http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9uRaW7hpop8/U ... 0_2647.JPG guy
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Revelen wrote:Ooooh, that is a cool disk. Made cooler by the fact that it's built from a button. Nice. Much better than the standard spikey thing. I've never really been a fan of spikes...
Thanks ! Have a go at it yourself ! :D
Aemir wrote:I could suggest one thing to the warriors - black and then silver drybrush upon the edges of armor so they could seem like red metal plating.
Revelen wrote: I suppose, but then it might look like the paint was a bit worn. I kind of like the pristine, un-markable chaos armour effect. I think it comes across like red metal enough as is, but you could also get a more metal-y effect with some more extreme shading and highlights, hard-edged, not smoothed, with reds and oranges.
I won't give them metal edges.
My goal is - as Revelen mentions - the unwielding, unnatural Chaos armour. I'll think about a layer of dark ink on the edges, though.

That's a nice pic by the way, Aemir ... good for a single model, but too dark for a unit for my taste ...
I'm getting older, I need to see the unit on the field ... :p

I just wont get anything done the next 3-4 weeks. Preparations for the holidays and then holidays themselves ...
Paints & minis and a flight don't mix well together ... :wink:
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Revelen »

Turin wrote:Thanks ! Have a go at it yourself ! :D
I dunno, I think I'd be too tempted to give him a bandanna and angle the disk like he was surfing...

He'd look good in my Wood Elves, though!
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Sister of Thorn Intermezzo - Turins Chaos Infection -

Post by Turin »

Well, back again resurrecting my Thread with a Wood Elf Intermezzo.
2014 was a lost year of painting for me - simply no time !
I tried and started a Sisters of Thorn Conversion, even wanted to enter the Painting Challenge with it, but it had to wait for 2015 to be finished. Sorry everybody ! :o

Here it is and then I'll try to be back to the Chaos Warriors over the next months ...

As stated in some Threads I wanted to merge the Stag of the Sisters with a Witch Elf.
Basically easy I thought with them already having seperate legs which fit the riding notion.
So I cut the standing leg of the Witch Elf and glued two "riding" legs to the main body while fitting it to the steed.
And a lot of fiddleing it was before I could let it dry. :crazy:

Then I took an arm of a WE Sister and tried to get it to look like it was gripping the "Saddle".

Anter that and some wait for the glue to set I filled the lower Body part with Green stuff, always testing the fit to the stag.

Next I got a simple Wood Elf Dagger to later help me hide any problems I might have with the transition between leg and body. Just put the Dagger on the belt.

Then I did something in addition - a cloak out of green stuff. A first for me besides my Treeman (a forgiving large scale that he is). Also a loop to which the arm grips on the Saddle and some fillings to get everything smooth.

And here is the Basic Idea behind it - good enough I think.

After that my free time for the year went missing.
I did the painting for her in January 2015 and here are the results from a roundabout view :

Quite a nice Witch Elf Sister of the Thorns, isn't she ? Fingertips Glowing like a spell is ready to burst from them ... :ninja:
I didn't even need the Dagger but added it nonetheless.

I'll have to see when I have time to convert and paint her 4 Witch Sisters ... :confused:
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

In all the Archaon Hype my Warriors of Chaos are slowly rising ...

Currently I have a whole Box (12) finished and even the Banner done, which is a Conversion of a Space Marine Banner ...

Here you go with the current state :

I'll play a meager 500 pts in April and am pondering, what to paint next ... ;)
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

Oi, it's great you're back! That Sister is great! And Warriors look good too.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Hi, ... erm ... Aemir_II !?!

Thanks ! And ... Thanks !

What happened to the original Aemir ?

Currently I work on some Gamezone Chaos Hounds and after that I need a few converted Chaos Trolls.
I'll try to press on until the Middle of April, when I have a very small battle of 500 pts. with a Friend who is starting - guess what - Wood Elves.
Hero + 11 Warriors + 6 Hounds + 3 Trolls gives me just 499 pts. and the Trolls and Hounds hopefully a little bit screening... :o)

I'll post some pics of this in April.

Until then,
Take care and have fun !
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

Well, suddenly Asrai started to block by I.P. address and I had to make another user's page. ATM I'm too working at finishing new WE units and all new Middenheim Host (got 3 Valtens, 2 Priests of Ulric and the White Wolves Grandmaster, hell yeah!)
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Just a short Feedback : Not a lot of time in the last 2 years and currently moving, so everything is in Boxes, but I'll try to get something painted in 2019 ... :)

Still like to come back now and then ... Thanks for still hosting !