Moderator: Council of Elders

francewt
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Only wood elf

empire demigriph trouble

Post by francewt »

good evening to everyone.

I need som hints to fight empire demigriph riders. In a recent tournament i meet a player with empire that brought two steam tank and two units of six demigriph with a battle priest on everyone. All the archers plus the alter lord with bow of loren and arcane bodkins plus my bsb hail of doom arrow was useless against them. In two turns they destroyed almost all my archers and dryads. :cry:
I manage to destroy one unit because he entered on a wood and i charge with wardancer with noble on a flank and dryads in front of them he broke and i pursued him with all and i catch them.
How i can stop them ? I think maybe with an unit of eternal guard of four ranks with bsb plus lord and some weapon that increase strenght and the razor standard.

greetings
Lowb
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: empire demigriph trouble

Post by Lowb »

Your EG will get eaten by them fast, only that you'll be stubborn...

Anyway if you face such an enemy in a tournament you can't tailor a list to kill something specific so your best bet is to go for the Machine gun and if you're running Beasts lore then the Amber Spear can help you out.

Other than that, treekin and treeman are the fight to fight tough opponents!
tmarichards
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by tmarichards »

All I can think of is to redirect them, and try and get an Amber Spear down the flank. Alternatively, make sure you pay attention to the units within 6" of them- you don't need to kill them if you can panic them off instead.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Yes, demigryphs now become even better with their toughness upgrade.

First of all, you should forget what was the best list wood elves could have. I'm talking about so many times mentioned famous podcast with that guy (I dont know his name, I apologize) talking about effectiveness of wood elves and how they are at their best with as many archers you can get with only magic support. Those times are over and they were of very short existence because we are dealing now with almost true power of new edition as an army that got stuck behind. As mr. Moose said, our games become very unpleasant and we have to play flawless games with lots of lucky rolls, and knowing every other army we are dealing with like we have it in our arsenal.

One of the armies which are very comfortable in 8th is Empire. Our problem is how to deal with demigryphs, their mass infantry and quick and lethal impenetrable cavalry supported by heavy warmachines. We can't deal with all that so we have to choose what to deal with and make our prayers they don't get lucky and we do. Demigryphs are countered by our heavies: treekin and treemen, so feel free to move them to try to catch those pesky idiots riding creatures, which is very in the spirit of empire's fluff. Nevermind me, I'm just bitter about GW in general (ain't we all? :lol: ). Anyway, try to kill them like that - you might if you get lucky.

When new Errata/FAQ came, one of veteran empire players from my club said something like "demigryphs are now good; we shouldn't worry about things now that are 5 or under Strength anymore", so go figure.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Dragon halitosis »

2 steam tanks = bastard. That said, amber spear is apparently good, as are some initiative based spells. Dragons, treemen etc vs demigryphs. Also, WH FAQ now clarified that killing blow counts for monstrous cavalry, as the riders would be infantry if not mounted... so go the wardancers and way watchers... risky, but hey, nothings gonna be pretty versus that empire fit out.
tmarichards
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by tmarichards »

Killing Blow only works vs characters on monstrous cavalry, ordinary troops on monstrous cav are still immune. Doesn't make sense, but that's what the FAQ says :(
francewt
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by francewt »

greetings to everyone

i have read all your hints so i ve decided to reorganize my army list :

maybe in the next tournament i 'll bring:

6 treekins
1 treeman
20 dryads

all supported by liv 4 lifeweaver and liv 2 loren weaver in order to have flesh to stone, regrowth, hidden path,ariel blessing to protect the trees from cannon balls and harm. I think to put something quick unit to catch war machine such as glade riders and great eagle or wild riders.. My opponents are often dwarfs, empire ,chaos warriors and deamons but many times empire. I try this setting to deal against the damned demigriph.
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

Against the 2x6 Demigrpyhs:

If you can not fight it.... then don't. Warhammer is not about overpowering your enemy, especially not for a weak army likes ours.

First of all, try to focus all your shooting on a single unit. I'm not doing the math but you should be able to withle them down to managable numbers for say a large unit of Dryads.

A unit of Treekin will not loose in a fair match up. Superior stats, ward saves. Only the turn when they charge they could get lucky. After that you'll win. Have a BSB in range and they won't fail you.

A Treeman should be able to withstand them, unless they roll very well on to wound.

Eagles: ever heard the term redirecting? If this is new to you, then I understand why you were chanceless.

Good Luck!
francewt
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by francewt »

other problems are tha cannon ball that can destroy the treeman quickly.
i tink to set a noble on eagle as war machine hunter.

greetings
Lowb
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Lowb »

I don't know why but I often don't have so much troubles with the cannonballs, just take a unit of dryads for example to screen some of the terrain before the treeman and you're lowering the chances of being hit by a lot. Usually they'll just go pick another target, that is at least what they do with me.

Also, if the cannonball is such a trouble just focus fire with your archers there, they shouldn't last long at all, not even one turn with just a bit of luck.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

francewt wrote:other problems are tha cannon ball that can destroy the treeman quickly.
i tink to set a noble on eagle as war machine hunter.

greetings
50pts on a Great Eagle. Or 100pts on two Great Eagles. If you've not read it, I urge you to read this excellent article which is all about the amazing tactical and strategic uses of Great Eagles. This article is written for High Elves, but every aspect of it is valid for Wood Elf players too.

Hope this helps,
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

I think these will pose an even bigger problem:
http://s1306.photobucket.com/albums/s57 ... 10d13e.jpg

Re-direct the mournfang with the eagle or double flee then charge the treekin in, with no lances you might be better off. Fighting combat on your turn helps so even if they over run into the tree-kin you can throw a wildform in there as the armour save is a tad bit too strong without it (and even with it). Combat on your turn then wildform. The other option is to charge an eagle hero in there and hope for the best.