Meanwhile in sunny South Africa...(PICS)

Moderator: Council of Elders

von Blacke
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Imperial Guard, SM Scouts and Wood Elves

Meanwhile in sunny South Africa...(PICS)

Post by von Blacke »

So this weekend a gathering of wizened generals and vibrant upstarts was held at a place called ThugCon down in Johannesburg, South Africa. An entire 3 days of wargaming including Malifaux, WarmaHordes, MtG and, of course, Warhammer Fantasy and 40k was enjoyed by all. I myself attended the Fantasy End of Days tournament held on the saturday and joined in with the 8 other players (SA's gaming group is relatively small, yet is close-knit and everyone passionate about this hobby) and brought my Tree-Huggers. The tourney was based around fluff and fun, so players were encouraged to create a backstory for their army and the best backstory would win a prize. Mine was based around a Royal Household of Athel Loren, so featured mainly elves, with my only forest support being a treeman.

So the tourney was called End of Days because a large warprift had opened up and the Chaos Gods were all fighting for dominance. So for each battle a dice would be rolled to determine which chaos god would be in ascendence for the turn. Each god influenced the battle with their own powers i.e. Nurgle gave each army a 5+ Regen save, whilst Khorne prevented double 6s being irresistable force. On each table their was also a shrine and depending on the God each shrine would give units within 6" certain benefits i.e Tzeentch allowed units to re-roll all failed saves, whilst Slaneesh made units Stubborn. This made all the battles fun and entertaining.

So the armies that participated were:
Dwarves
Empire
Daemons
A Daemon/ Chaos Warriors Alliance(The tournament organisers allowed them to pair up as long as they used one force organisation chart. They went by the name of Team Sexy :sexy: )
Beastmen
High Elves
Dark Elves
Then my (unpainted :paranoid: ) wood Elves

Game 1 vs Beastmen
So I managed to win this game by a 300 point margin. His list magically won the game (he had a level 4 Beastmage, then 3 level 1 Shadow mages, whilst I only had a level 2. He had a cairn thingy so generated a lot of power dice and Tzeentch was in ascendence for most of our game and that lets you roll 3 dice when determing the winds of magic and picking the highest 2 so he usually had 12 power dice) But luckily I managed to scrape enough points for a win.

Game 2 vs Daemons
In this game I was tabled by turn 5. Apparently this was a bad match up for my tree huggers. Apparently.

Game 3 vs Empire
I probably enjoyed this game the most. The dice influenced a lot of what happened. I lost 2550 to 810 but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and learnt a lot about why wood elves struggle in this edition.

So overall I thoroughly enjoyed this event. It was also my first appearence on the tournament scene and it was a great introduction since this was a fun based event so I will definitely be back! Without further ado, here are some more pictures for your enjoyment. The link to see all 100+ pics that I took is at the bottom of this exceptionally long post.
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s42 ... 2/?start=0
Johnny-Crass
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Meanwhile in sunny South Africa...(PICS)

Post by Johnny-Crass »

I love pretty pictures
Ab Ithell
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnia, High Elves, Daemons (Tzeentch), Dwarfs, Orcs and Goblins, Black Legion, Iyand

Re: Meanwhile in sunny South Africa...(PICS)

Post by Ab Ithell »

Thanks for posting; I want to second the comment about pretty pictures; we may not all be Golden Daemon painters but it is always fun to see what other gamers have done with their models.