2012 Summer Challenge, TALE OF X GAMERS

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Re: 2012 Summer Challenge, TALE OF X GAMERS

Post by beno »

Keep working on them! You never know - a flash of inspiration and a long weekend locked in a room...

I must say though that I deliberately chose a smaller list so that I could get it painted this summer - before I even came across the X Gamer's challenge on the forum. I think that a high model count army is always gonna be tough for a 'timed' painting challenge. I reckon you've done really well considering: 40 rats = more than my entire Empire army put together!
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

The deadline is September 30th. I myself won't be able to finish either. I could push this back for some time if it will help to get more finished entries, but if only one person has a use of a couple of extra weeks I think it is best to just enter with what everyone's got finished and let it be up to the votes to decide a winner regardless.
If no one is finished we all enter on equal terms anyway.

One thing tht there will be no excuse for not including will be the background story. This MUST be part of the tale before sept 30th.

Everyone ok with this?
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

It's ok for me. I will post whatever I have done within the 30th, so you can judge my army regardless of its probably unfinished state.

I knew it was a hard task when I started this with a 95 model army, but even if I don't finish I already have one unit done, and all of the army is assembled so I can play with it. If I had wanted an easier option I could have made a 1000 point wood elf army, but I didn't realize I had enough unpainted models until I had gotten a good start on the Skaven. :)

At the moment I am working slowly with both my elves for a tournament in three weeks, and the rats. And a couple of BIG monsters I might start painting...
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Post by beno »

I think I will be finished by then so for me, at least, its good
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work
Serafin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Serafin »

Sadly, I couldn´t even paint more than what I´ve got posted right now. Stupid summer, i had so much time!
Will there be a similar competition again? I really want to enter my elves, but I would need more time than 6 days or even 2 weeks XD
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

We definitely want to run similar contests again. Obviously though, we can't run them too often because people (including us!) just wouldn't have the time to do the contest justice.

We're planning on running another Miniature Exchange as the Winter event, so we'll probably bring back the Tale of X Gamers after that in 2013. Of course, if people prefer, we could run a Tale of X Gamers over a longer period of time, or with different targets (paint X points a month, for example) as a way of keeping the contests going longer. Of course, it all depends on participation so we'll have to see if people are interested at the time.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

As Beithir said this type of contest will reappear in some form or another. Even though many participants haven't finished I still regard the contest as a success due to the activity it has created. I bet the participants have gotten more done because of the contest than most would have done without it.

Anyway next up will be a secret Santa/mini exchange and after that we'll see. The monthly contests as they where might come back too, but it was getting hard to come up with themes and the participation dropped steadily.

I'm a big fan of contests that combine gaming/list building, painting and story writing so expect more of this.

And remember there is still some time left. Voting won't be opened until 30th September.
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Even though my 1000 points won't be finished, I have at the moment painted 42 models, and assembled and converted 94. That is a whole lot more than I'd have done without the challenge. :)
Serafin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Serafin »

Mmh, see, my problem is that I couldnt do my army at all. Now I have nothing to present in this contest. I really like my idea for the army and really really want to see if it can hold its own in a contest! But I also don´t want to wait for the next contest to come around to continue painting XDD After all I want to start playing too :(

Ah, I´m in a ditch here XDD
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

So by midnight homoerotisk, this contest will be concluded. I will start a vote invilving all the projects that have at least a background story, an armylist and atleast 3 pictures. So if you're not finished, the entry may still be able to go to voting. If you have pictures of progress not yet posted, I urge you all to do a final update so that all you have done can be seen in the blogs.

Good luck on the last day and with the upcoming voting.

Edit:
midnight homoerotisk
this meant to say Midnight Tomorrow. I bet bet any swede, norwegian or dane had a bit of a chuckle over this Autocorrect mistake :D

That item is a horse...
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by The Forest Lord Daereth »

Final update posted. I failed. :roll:

I did fill the criteria of army list, background and three pictures, so I at least have the privilege of getting no votes. :nod:

Congratulations to everyone who finished. :)
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Well, congratulations to everyone who got a valid entry in on time!

Alas, I wasn't one of them. What with real life and the Asrai.org campaign to work on, I just didn't have time to finish anything (even the fluff!).

Looking forward to the voting though. Even though not everyone completely finished everything, there are some fantastic armies taking shape here :)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

Hello! Been away for a while, and haven't done anything related to miniatures. So I've got pretty much nothing. Congratulations to all those who finished, and props to those who chose Skaven and stayed sane till the end! :D