2011/2012 Winter challenge

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Best Winter Contest Entry

Poll ended at 13 Apr 2012, 10:43

dutchwarlord ~ Elathir Shadowstep
21%
beno ~ Liathan Brethilin
16%
Yuri ~ Úlfhéðinn, the Wolf-skinned
32%
BelegCuthalion ~ Aeron Frostfire
5%
Moose123 ~ Turnais the Enslaved
5%
Tuhis ~ Tuhis the Mighty
21%

Total votes: 19

Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2011/2012 Winter challenge

Post by Moose123 »

Sorry guys my model only arrived 4 days ago so I didn't have time to finish my entry :cry: I might post it up it the meadow of arts once I finish.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

Well how about that, the deadline is the 1st of March, not the 31st. :o And here I thought I had time to finish my entry. Oh well, there's always next time. Good luck to you guys!
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Ill extend the deadline until 31st of march if there is more entries in the making. In my neck o' the woods it's still winter and will be for a couple of more months.

That is if noone has a strong opposition to this.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Rab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rab »

I must admit, I too had it in my head the deadline was the 31st of March..and was hoping to enter with a pretty adventurous conversion.
my wood elf army pblog
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Baardah wrote:Ill extend the deadline until 31st of march if there is more entries in the making. In my neck o' the woods it's still winter and will be for a couple of more months.

That is if noone has a strong opposition to this.
That would be superb! It's almost 11pm here in Croatia, and I'm kicking my ass off, trying to finish model in time. But there isn't enough time, and when I decided to drop off challenge I saw your, mr. Baardah, decision to make it till 31st of March. Have an idea, maybe to extend to time limit until 21st of March when is actually first day of spring (at least here in Europe, don't know about rest of the world, and now I'm curious about it... hmm....)
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

That would indeed be good. I knew about a week ago that there was no chance I'd be able to finish by today (things have gone haywire over here!), but with the whole of March I might just manage it.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
BelegCuthalion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BelegCuthalion »

Aaaargh! And after I rushed to get mine done by last night (I won't have any spare time at all today).

No real objections, though. I could use the extra time to neaten up some of the more badly rushed areas of painting...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Ok. The deadline is now officially moved to march 31st
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

Rejoice. This means I have a chance at finishing. First on the schedule is completing my Mordheim Middenheimers warband though. But those are 70% done so I might just make it.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I will have to pass on this one. My idea is really cool, and involves a dragon... But I haven't had any inspiration to finish this one in the little time I've been working on the hobby after Christmas. All I've done is to convert and assemble greenskins and rats. I haven't painted anything since January. I hope the rest of you guys get it done, and look forward to seeing your models. Maybe they can give me the inspiration I need! :)
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Don't worry Git I just gave up on my entry. The skin on him just didn't turn out right.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Okay so even if his skin didn't turn out right I'll still enter him.

Turnais the enslaved

The Callach is a being of mystery and folklore. Most belive she has the appearance of a twisted old crone who delights in suffering. Queen Ariel believes that the callach is the imbodiment of the darker and more sinister side of athel lorens conscience. The wood elves also believe that like the Branchwraith Drycha and the treeman Coedill, the Callach feels that the Asrai have done more harm than good and that they need to be chased off or destroyed. Although the Callach is a being of immense power she could never combat Queen Ariel or King Orion on her own, so she has begun to enslave young wood elveS to aid her. The Callach bestows many giftS on her disciples including greater speed and strength, some of the asrai also believe that the enslaved wood elves gain the ability to change their form at will. The Callach is also the creator of the rare but much dreaded Hail of Doom arrows.

Turnais is one of the unlucky elves that has been kidnapped and enslaved by the Callach. Turnais was a very tall and strong elf, he was also very impulsive and had a natural connection to Athel Loren but not as strong as that which the spellweavers posses. Orion himself reconized this and on Turnais' admission into the kindred of Auryar Orion gave Turnais the Helm of the hunt, a Helmet made from the skull of a long dead great stag. Later that night Turnais was tricked by the Callach's magic and lured away into the dark groves where she could corrupt his mind at her leisure. After some time Turnais became more and more conected to the forest but to the darker side of it, his connection became an unbreakable link that twisted his mind until only the Callach controled him.

Turnais is no longer recognizable as the mighty elf he used to be, he has grown much taller and more imposing but his body has shriveled and now he appears to be nothing more than a starved, half dead creature, but the gifts of the Callach have left him with the speed of a horse and the strength of the mighty elven warrior he used to be. The gifts of the Callach are not only physical but she also gives each of her slaves a Hail of Doom Arrow and each also receives a blade forged by the Callach known as a Callach's claw. Turnais is also accompanied by a trio of red eyed ravens said to bring certain death to anyone that they look upon.

"Our Caravan was attacked on the edge of the great forest, we did nothing to provoke the attack but it happened all the same. At first we saw only three ravens they landed infront of Prince Ferunur and he looked them in the eye and dropped from his horse, dead. Then the shards began to fall hundreds of them like wasps they found holes in our armor and slew many knights. Then he exploded from the forest and although he appeared to be nothing more than skin over bones he showed surprising strength and the speed of a galloping horse. He gave a horrendous yell and charged into our ranks, as his sword drew blood it let out a wail like that of a hundred women all screaming out in terror all at once. We could not fight this being and our prince was dead, so we fled from that cursed forest, we fled as fast as our horses could carry us." Sir Fred, a member of the dead Prince Ferunurs royal guard.

The Build

Highborn:
Alter kindred, Light armor, Shield,
A lamentation of despairs,
The Callach's Claw,
The Helm of the Hunt,
Hail of Doom Arrow.

So I started with the Hordes lord of the feast, and added on some important wood elf stuff.

Now I forgot to take the picture of the whole model before the painting, sorry, but this is what he mostly looked like.
But I started with the above model and I put a quiver and a longbow on his right hip area, I also stuck a converted raven on his left shoulder, yes I didn't get to buy my fancy raven models, so they are just owls without the horns and a pointy beak.

Then his base is just a leftover treebeard branch and the fancy stone from the dryad box, I think it could be from the glade guard kit but it's one of those.
I also grenstuffed a few little sticks on after but they are hardly noticeable with the grass and leaves.

After that I made his shield out of some over flowing resin from a casting I did, and I green stuffed straps and the tree emblem. It has just been undercoated chaimail so all the, "Cough! Cough! Detail," shouldn't be that hidden.

Now because I didn't take the picture of the whole model before painting my entry might not be valid, I just hope that Baardah won't disqualify me for it, but if he does at least I tried.

Now the light doesn't really show the shading on his skin but it is there, trust me.

So that is my entry, Hope you like.
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Well I couldn't finish even with the exrta month of time. :( Gonna post my progress anyway, even though I didn't get to the painting part. I'll complete the model later when I can, right now I've got too much happening at the same time.

Tuhis the Mighty, Warden of the Paths, King of the Hidden Realm

At the time when the High Elves first sailed to the Old World and made a pact with the Athel Loren, there was an elven kindred already living in the forest. The first Wood Elves some might call them, even though they are of a different bloodline. They first separated from other elves back when all the three races were one and have lived in isolation since then. 

The way they got to the Athel Loren still remains a mystery to outsiders. Some say they sailed in cover and burned their ships, others insist they must have flown over the sea. One free thinker even came up with the idea of them mastering the hidden paths before anyone else, but he was thrown in the ocean with the rest of the lunatics during the great persecution. 

And of course hidden paths are what they used. Creating a path from the great forests of Ulthuan to Athel Loren consumed so much energy, that the three monoliths they had built for the ritual all collapsed, sealing the other end of the path forever. The other remained open but the forest outside was too wild for them to leave the path, and so they stayed inside. In time they found ways to connect the path with other paths, and today they are everywhere. Still remaining undiscovered, the kindred only appears to other Wood Elves when the forest is in grave danger.

In the early times of the history of the the kindred that has no name there were many great warriors with unimaginable prowess. When it came time to choose a leader for the kin, they all fought each other till only one was standing. And the one was Tuhis the Mighty. Standing a head taller than a normal elf, strong as a bear and wise as an owl, he was the last of the Might family and sworn to protect the hidden paths. Also he rode a great war elk, which won him the trust of the kindred instantly. Who wouldn't love an elk?

The hidden paths have no time nor place, and because of that the elves living inside them do not age. The first of the kindred are still alive and the population keeps growing. Normally that would cause a space problem, but not inside the paths. They are unlimited. Once a path is full, you can always open a new one and connect them. Easy. 

So even today Tuhis the Mighty rules the paths and rides his great elk to war. He wears a light armour old as hell and carries a shield crafted long before men were born. He also wields the Spirit Sword and covers his ugly face with a Dragonhelm, also protecting him from the heat of the outside world (the hidden paths are quite cold). 

One might ask, why ride an elk and not a horse? Well in addition of looking cool the elk also protects Tuhis from harm by annoying foes with the netlings hanging from his cloak. There are also magical seeds hidden in the foliage that heal wounds when eaten. Awesome!

Tuhis the Mighty 

Points/model: 290

M5 - WS7 - BS6 - S4 - T3 - W3 - I8 - A4 - Ld10

Weapons and armour: The Spirit Sword, Dragonhelm, An Annoyance of Netlings, Seed of Rebirth, light armour, shield

Special Rules: Tuhis has learned to bend the energies of the Spirit Sword to his will. Because of this, Tuhis never suffers extra wounds caused by the sword when fighting normal infantry. 

Options: May ride a Great War Elk (+ 35 pts) or a normal boring Elven Steed (+18 pts).

The Great War Elk

M10 - WS3 - BS0 - S4 - T3 - W1 - I6 - A2 - Ld8

Special Rules: Fast Cavalry

Here are my starting parts: The awesome GW noble, a bretonnian warhorse, a glade guard sword hand and brown stuff. I later added a random round shield.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff77 ... 2a6d33.jpg

And here's the model unpainted:
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

The contest is now over. I will make a poll by the end of the day so that voting can begin. Good job everyone...

That item is a horse...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

OK, bit late but the poll is now up. I've taken the liberty of allowing voting even for those models that were not fully painted, but were otherwise complete. Obviously those models that are painted and finished will have an advantage over those that aren't, but I thought it was a shame to rule out some promising-looking entries altogether.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
slirgy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by slirgy »

just a quick question @beno where did you get the model of your entry from, or was it sculpted???
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

The completion of this contest is abit overdue, but i hereby declare Yuri the winner of the 2011/2012 Wintercontest! Congratulations!

That item is a horse...
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Oh, wow! :eek:
Don't know actually what to say. Thank you guys for your votes, now it seems I should post the rest of the finished model. It will be up in a day, when I find somewhere something better than mobilephone camera.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by The Forest Lord Daereth »

Haha - Tuhis, I get the Anne Elk joke. :lol:
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

;)

Gratz Yuri! You got my vote. Awesome sculpting and great overall character. The kodomas are a nice detail. Now post the painted model! :nod:
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Good job Yuri, you deserved to win.
-Bullwinkle

-Isaac Bashevis Singer
dutchwarlord
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Skaven, Wood elves (I also have a little amount of empire and dwarves covered with dust)

Post by dutchwarlord »

Congratulations!
I would really like to see the painted miniature!
My Wood elves Army blog (winter): http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21701

My pestilent Skaven blog (Clan Septik): http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpir ... 426/5/#new

Wood elves:
Win/Draw/Lose
11/2/1