Question about HoD

Moderator: Council of Elders

Emeurade
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Tomb Kings and Wood Elves

Question about HoD

Post by Emeurade »

I was playing my friend, and I stand and shot with my Hail of Doom arrow. He didn't really believe that I could do it, so could you give me a reference to prove it to him? I've seen it done in all of the battle reports, and love doing it. Thanks! :smoke:
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Re: Question about HoD

Post by Noght »

It's just a Magic Arrow(s). What's the differance between standing and shooting with a Magic Bow, Magic Arrows, Glade Guard Bow, Normal Bow, or Normal Arrows. Of course you can stand and shoot with your Hail of Doom Arrow.

Turn it around, ask him to find the section that says you can't shoot magic weapons during a stand and shoot...(what army is he playing btw?)

Of course from a tactical stand point, your Noble with a HODA can deliver S4 attacks at 2+ to hit at long range unlike your Glade Guard Bows which only has S4 at 15". Just a thought, sometimes it's nice when T4 guys panic near their own edge and run off the board.

Noght
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."
Emeurade
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Emeurade »

He plays skaven, and is saying that it is a specific rule that he can stand and shoot with his doom rocket. They changed his doomrocket in the FAQ. So he is saying since it is a magic item, it needs to specifically say that I can stand and shoot with it.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Emeurade wrote:He plays skaven, and is saying that it is a specific rule that he can stand and shoot with his doom rocket. They changed his doomrocket in the FAQ. So he is saying since it is a magic item, it needs to specifically say that I can stand and shoot with it.
The Doom Rocket is the exception to the rule, as it's not a normal magic item, and thus why it deserved a FAQ entry. This is in comparison to the Hail of Doom 'Arrow' being a normal magic item and it should be obvious that one can stand and shoot with an arrow, magical or not.

As Nought said, tell him to find where it says you can't Stand and Shoot with it and if he can't, then you can Stand and Shoot with it.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Emeurade wrote:He plays skaven, and is saying that it is a specific rule that he can stand and shoot with his doom rocket. They changed his doomrocket in the FAQ. So he is saying since it is a magic item, it needs to specifically say that I can stand and shoot with it.
Doomrocket have it FAQed because it is not fired by usualy way and it makes some dificulties in SaS.

Anyway, if you need rule-based argument, here it is:
If a Stand and Shoot charge reaction is declared, the unit makes a normal, although out of sequence, shooting attack against the charging unit (see the Shooting Phase on page 38 for more details on shooting attacks).
Shooting with magical bow, arrow, whatever is NORMAL SHOOTING ATTACK as describet on page 38 and further. Unlike Doomrocket. And that is why doomrocket (and strangleroot, for example) needs to have special rule/FAQ alowing them do SaS, unlike other shooting attacks.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Emeurade
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Emeurade »

Thank you guys, my Hail of Doom stand and shoot has been saved. :D May the deaths of Skaven commence!!!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Emeurade wrote:He plays skaven.
why is it always Skaven players??? :P
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

popisdead wrote:
Emeurade wrote:He plays skaven.
why is it always Skaven players??? :P
lol my thoughts exactly! I once had a skaven player friend who kept on cheating to win until no-one played with him. Haven't seen him since. There must be a connection between those rats and bad sportsmanship. ;)
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Post by Lighteater »

Skaven are rats. Rats are kin to mice. Mice love cheese. So Skaven must be cheesy :D
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
Ravenlord
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood elfs, Eldar and I own an unplayed small High elf host

Post by Ravenlord »

My friend is possibly the worst loser in the history of losing. Whenever his opponents (me and others) starts to figure out how to beat his army, he starts to collect a new one. he currently owns Ogres, Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, Dark Elves and you guessed it..... Skaven.
He has lost all battles with his Skaven (3-4 games) to this day but for some reason they have cured him of his armyhoarding. When he lose he just make up some wierd and Skaveny reason for it and proclaim that it actually was a win. Me and the other players are baffled :confused:
It´s really cool to have something written here.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Ravenlord wrote:When he lose he just make up some wierd and Skaveny reason for it and proclaim that it actually was a win. Me and the other players are baffled :confused:
Sounds like a perfect fit for him, then!
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Post by Lighteater »

Yeah, read some books from Gotrek & Felix. Thanquol is always thinking in exactly this way. :D
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
Ravenlord
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood elfs, Eldar and I own an unplayed small High elf host

Post by Ravenlord »

Hahaha! Yeah, I guess it is a perfect match :)
Have only red the first Gotrek & Felix. Good one though!
It´s really cool to have something written here.