Charging question

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Charging question

Post by Kulgan86 »

My unit of Treekin charges a fleeing unit in front of it. It auto flees further away, through another already fleeing enemy unit, which I would reach with my Movement + 2D6 roll from the initial charge. Now do I simply catch the second fleeing unit, or is this a re direct and does the second unit auto flees further as well?

Note to self : when 6 Treekin are about to do an easy combat, have an Eagle nearby to do the running down of the fleeing troops. Treekin should be doing another combat instead of chasing fleeing units.
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Re: Charging question

Post by Noght »

I think you need to declare a re-direct charge and the 2nd unit has to flee, hopefully off the board edge.
Good news is you probably failed both charges and only move 3-4 inches and aren't totally out of position.
Noght
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."
soilworker
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: partial (ogres, orcs, dwarfs) woodies are primary

Post by soilworker »

I agree with Noght,

pg 18
Charging more than one unit

if no way of completing charge against an enemy unit without coming into contact with another, then charging unit must also declare a charge against the other.

and as we know declaring a charge against a fleeing unit makes it flee further.
It will as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear -- Amos 5:19

beasts feld by bow: stegadon, rhinox rider, warsphinx, chimera, terrorgheist.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Noght wrote:I think you need to declare a re-direct charge and the 2nd unit has to flee, hopefully off the board edge.
Good news is you probably failed both charges and only move 3-4 inches and aren't totally out of position.
Noght
It is exactly as you say. There is no way how to charge a unit you did not declare charge against in 8th edition - so you can either redirect and do this, or stop your movement 1" away from this 2nd unit.

You need to be wary about this issue when declarign your charges. Lets assume your unit A declares charge against enemy unit X, who holds. Now, your unit B, declares charge against enemy unit Y, who flee. Now Y make it's movement and for some reason, it ends right between your unit A and his unit X (and say B did not catch them, to make it simple). Now, your unit A have failed charge, as there is no way how to contact unit X and it can not charge unit Y.
You need to be warry about such issues and as 1st charge declare B vs Y and in case Y ends in that stupid spot, A will charge Y and then redirect to X.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
OverlordSlayer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OverlordSlayer »

soilworker wrote:I agree with Noght,

pg 18
Charging more than one unit

if no way of completing charge against an enemy unit without coming into contact with another, then charging unit must also declare a charge against the other.

and as we know declaring a charge against a fleeing unit makes it flee further.
Declaring such a charge doesn't make the defenders flee anymore. They are annihilated as soon as the attackers reach them. BRB page 23. The example above states that Treeking charged a fleeing unit which means they ran them down.

A unit must flee in such a way only when there have been several charges declared against them in the same round.
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by Noght »

OverlordSlayer wrote: Declaring such a charge doesn't make the defenders flee anymore. They are annihilated as soon as the attackers reach them. BRB page 23. The example above states that Treeking charged a fleeing unit which means they ran them down.

A unit must flee in such a way only when there have been several charges declared against them in the same round.
Go back to the Original post. Treekin declare charge, 1st unit chose to flee. Treekin re-directs to a previously fleeing unit, declaring a 2nd charge if you will. 2nd unit must flee in reaction to the 2nd charge. (3rd Paragraph under "Theres too many of them" on page 18) Now there is nothing that prevents the 2nd unit from getting caught and destroyed as described on page 23. What I said is usually both charges fail and hopefully you're not too far out of position.

As Kulgan mentioned it's always nice to have an Eagle around to charge fleeing units to help "nudge" them off the board if possible, and an average roll of 19" with the Eagle can sometimes catch an already fleeing unit.

Noght
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."