Storm of Magic, incoming

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Imperial Guard, Dark Elves

Re: Storm of Magic, incoming

Post by TwistedHonour »

Same here <.<
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Some fresh news:
RULES/POINT OF GAME

The rules for SoM are essentially the same as WFB however, instead of having 2D6 magic dice, there are 4D6 in the pool. The whole basis of the game is very rock, paper, scissors (as Mat Ward put it himself Yeah 40K stupification).

(ROCK) Anytime you have a Wizard ontop of a fulcrum that wizard gains a ++3 Ward save, is ItP, and also can only be assiled by one model in combat, ie; your looking at 1v1 fighting. Hence where the monsters come in (edit: they don't recieve thunderstomp or stomp while assulting a wizard on a Fulcrum).

(PAPER)To sum up what the Wardster says: Since you can only have one model attcking these ROIDED up Wizards, you send monsters in after them as they are a single model and spill attacks, high strength, sp. rules, etc. . .

(SCISSORS) Troops and Steadfast eat monsters for breakfast. . . in theory (cannons do it better though ), and thus, the more troops you have the easier you can hold back the torrential assualting that is monsters upon wizards.

From what I could tell (I only skimmed the Battle Report, it was 6ish pages, and I didn't care for reading that long. . . no I'm not ADD ) whoever was in control of the most magical fulcrums, won the game. Points on the board did play factor I believe, granting some overall V.Ps to the contestants at the end or something, but it wasn't a large factor.

MAGIC/FULCRUM MECHANICS:

There are three levels of magic spells in SoM, Insert name here, Domination, and Catyclsmic.

While in control of one fulcrum you recieved acess to the (will call them tier 1 spells since I can't remember names), dosen't matter lvl of caster, etc. . . if you were on a fulcurum at all your caster could cast tier one spells, for example a Lore of Shadow spell that can create 'mirage' terrain pieces on the board.

the Domination spells or tier two (sticking to my system) was granted upon having more fulcrums than your opponent.

Lastly, Catayclismic spells were granted when you controlled all the fulcrums or your opponent is not in control of any, and thus lets you 'insta-win' the game with some lores, and others not so much.

Every half turn of the game the spinner is spun to see what the winds of magic favors. This is the spinner you all probably know about, all the main eight lores have a slot on the spinner. When the magic is in favor, that paticular lore gains magic 'boosts' in the form of +X to casting (hinted at channeling also, but the W.D didn't say specific bonsus).

However, to make it fair game for all the other lores, every lore in the game is considered a 'subsidary' lore and is associated with a main lore, in this case High Magic would be with Light, Tznetch magic with Fire, Skaven Skyre with Heavens etc. . .

In addition to this bonus for casting, each lore will have addtional tier 1, 2, 3 spells and the other A.B lores, in this case will recieve 2 additional spells.

If a caster happens to be on a fulcrum while when he miscasts (Teclis ftwbabywtfbbq), he not only suffers a normal miscast, but also a catastorphic miscast as well. In this case, Ogres miscast on theirs and Catastropic level.

Miscast results for this are 'terri-bad-you-dead' from the sounds of Mat Ward himself, however the only two I saw was that, you can turn ever caster on the field into a frog, and the fulcrum blows up, and units within X amount of in. take S10 hits etc. . .

Some of the spells are cool, some are dumb, and some have the potential to end the game first turn, the usual.

For example, in no paticular tier or Lore:

One spell causes a 'titanic' earthquake and allows you to complete shift two relam of battle board tiles on the field with troops terrain and all in any facing(s) or direction you would like. (think maybe shadow, but don't know for sure)

One spell like I menitoned can create illusionary terrain. (Shadow)

Another can move terrain. (don't know)

Yet, another can create forests like Blood etc. . . or your choice (Life)

Slann can sacrafice himself and other charcters on his side to komikazie yours. (Life I think, not sure)

4D6 Fireball, and one that can end in large-blast template(s). (Fire)

Can make a unit ethereal. (don't know)

One spell can allow to summon random units for help. (don't know)

Oh, and for no paticalar reasons, Dwarf runesmiths etc. . have acess to spel. . er 'Runes' similar to the Anvil's abilities while on a fulcrum.

Allies/Points Allotment:

This I thought was the coolest aspect of the game so far.

How to create your army.

You create your army by using the percentage system, however up 25% of your army can be allied with monsters, other armies (through spell binding), or items.

In the White Dwarf, they had a photocopy out of the SoM book, a diagram explaining options on that the monsters will be able to take.

Case in point, a normal Chimera (the monster in the diagram) cost as much as a D.E Hydra before any upgrades. The Chimera and other SoM monsters will be able to Dub/Kit themselves out with extra abilites or rules such as: 'chomp' attacks, armor, regeneration, posion, tail weapons (plus one to hit in rear), breath weapon, wings, etc. . . The SoM monsters seem to be -like the Chimera for example- priced differently and have different stats than what one would assume the Chimera would have.

The Chimera shown was not a Mt. Chimera and had S5, T5 in the pic. I do not know if the option for different Chimeras or different any monster for that matter will be aviable, however I suspect so, as that leads to my next point.

There will be some odd 70ish (memory isn't for sure, but it made me go huh?! when I read it) monsters in the beastiary -probably some from current books.

Allied armies, up 25% can be allies, I'm not sure on the restriction of this other than it requires some sort of binding from spells, and that based on how many fulcrums you control is how many reenforcements come in. You get 75 points for one fulcrum, 150 for one more than our opponent, and 300 for all the fulcrums/you control one but your opponent dosen't control any.

Not sure how the above is going to work out in pre-game list buliding, but we will see.

Lastly, and the coolest in my opinon, is that many of the abilites to control monsters as allies and allied troops depend on magic items. These items are just for the SoM, and were described as 'arcane and enchantments re-energizing their lost powers with the magical brezee -insert colorful description here.

These items do not count against your magical allotment, and are 'allied in' if you would like to take them. Some of the items I've read so far include:

Binding Scrolls/Runes for Monsters and troops alike.

Fozzriks FLYING Fortress. . . with armermants. . . probably cannons.

Items that give Ward Saves to whole units based on conrol of fulcrums, ie; domination of all gives you ++4.

A scroll/incantation that destroys binding scrolls.

A enchanted item that can destroy magic items.

Lastly, and my favorite the Dawnsword. . .

At its full potential which is based on how many fulcrums you control, it:

Doubles your attacks.

Auto Hits

Auto Wounds

Does (2D6) Wounds for every wound caused.

Teclis is still better though. . . don't be jelly.

Product Placement:

The resin kits for packs of creatures like C.O and Sbre.Ts should be in packs of 5's from what the "Wardster" was spouting in the book.

The 6 portals come in one package, and blisters are all in plastic.

Other things:
There is two battles in the book, one for the release, day with D.E and C.W, and one with L.M and Skaven thats in 'progress' for the month of August.

There is also a nice page at the back-end of the book with the Vamp photo like in earlier pictures from Bram and Harry and Hastings etc. . .

However, there was an advertisement for some WarhammerForge things on one page, it was all choas, mainly demons, but it had some models I hadn't seen before, they were all phenominal, and out of my student budget when they come out most likley.

Laslty, there was a 40K Grey Knight section for the last 10 pages or less.

Ask if you would like, I will be intermittenly checking back, currently working on a term paper, until about 9 or so, I tell what I have. If you check your local G.W they might have it in.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Sounds kinda gimmicky and lop-sided so people who get behind can never came back late game. Maybe I'm wrong though. Probably one of those things to play on a rainy day when you're bored, but not the staple game you'll see mostly being played. Kinda like the scenarios in the back of the BRB are.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

I'm wondering how much of it could be cannibalized for regular games, though.

With the purported 70-ish monsters, and the ability to add up to 25% allied troops from other armies, I can see a lot of room for variation in armies...if the rules can be applied to regular games.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Much like my view of how Apocalypse is how 40k should be played (bring lots of stuff, roll dice, things die, have fun), Storm of Magic sounds like a wacky fun new way to play.

I'm sure the game will be fun for most people and there will be people who figure out the cheese fast and complain.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

Sounds like garbage to me. I don't mean to be sour but it does. I don't buy Apocalypse garbage either. In my experience, an Apocalypse game happens 1-2 times a year in my Meta as an official tournament or hosted event. I'm not willing to lay out money on something that might get used 1-2 times a year. When all my friends get together to play, we rarely choose Apocalypse and if we did... well only one or two people actually have to have the book and/or garbage super templates. Apocalypse also does NOT require you to field units/models that are only used in Apocalypse. I run the same troops I do in normal games... just more of them. I find suicide squads of Chosen coming in by Outflank take out Baneblades and Titans every time.

I digress. My point is that this entire waste of time supplement was foolish on their part. They will never sell enough of this junk because it won't be supported. You only need 1-2 people in your Meta making the investment and everyone can play it. Proxies are always allowed. People will make their own fulcrums. All that is going to happen is people might cannibalize the models. This was time, advertising, and resources wasted on a poor return. They should have been getting more modern books, i.e. codex out.
Ethiluin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ethiluin »

Shandrakor said:
Probably one of those things to play on a rainy day when you're bored, but not the staple game you'll see mostly being played. Kinda like the scenarios in the back of the BRB are.
+1

and a flimsy excuse to oneself to model those one / two monsters you've always wanted to have a go at. To be fair I'll probably just be happy to be more invested in my monthly skim through white dwarf
Last edited by Ethiluin on 23 Jun 2011, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

Eh, I might get it. But yeah apocalypse is fun enough I guess, but we play it a lot out here. Maybe half the games are with that format.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I'm liking this supplement the more I read about it. Lots of modelling opportunities, new ideas, and lots and lots of crazy. 8th edition was a massive middle-finger to competitive tourney goers, and this just seems to continue that trend...

Long ago, I gained the ability to turn off the rational side of my brain... it allows me to enjoy movies, games, books, the internet, forums, lolcats, women, life and other things that would otherwise cause me lots of heartache, grief, stress and lead to a generally unhappier life. Embrace the stupid, and be brilliant, sirs! :3
username222

Post by username222 »

I don't know how I feel about SoM. I haven't played that many games of WFB, but I'm trying to get back in it. I just finished putting a unit of Dryads together yesterday, and have been rather excited to play:). Though I've been in the dark about SoM up until a couple days ago (meaning I didn't know of it's existence), I instantly was intrigued by it. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for both magic and interesting monsters. A lot of the new models are impressive- the cockatrice for instance is mind-boggling. That being said, I am a die-hard wood elves fan, and I always have been. From the Getting Started page they put up on GW's website, SoM sounds like a way to use the same monsters and units across any army, relatively speaking. You can have your core models that you really like, and then those big monsters that you like too. I can see why that would be appealing to a lot of people, but I'd feel guilty fielding a monster of chaos in my WE army. It makes no sense to me. I'd be extremely disappointed if everyone started creating lists with all these new monsters. Like was mentioned about, it's gimmicky and lame. It reminds me of 4th ed. D&D which is total lamesauce. It totally takes out the "realistic" grit that I love about both WH and 2nd ed. D&D. You can obviously come up with fluff for any army, but I think it would really be a stretch to make it work in most cases, and if the masses started trying to come up with fluff, it would be a sensory overload that would make me put WH away again. Sorry for the long post. I'm a bit hungover and wanted to contribute my two cents.
Dawnbreaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dawnbreaker »

The only consolation is that Wood Elves, having their own Lore, are being given specific spells and summons:

"The Wood Elves might be super manoeuvrable and great at range, but they traditionally lack much in the way of hitting power to kill other monsters. By picking the biggest, meanest monsters from the Scrolls of Binding, you can go some way to offset this disadvantage - think Stegadons, Carnosaurs and Arachnarok Spiders to both trample the enemy, and maintain the verdant theme."

"Rather than summoning mere monsters, the Wood Elves can bring the very battlefield to life if they so choose. Between the Cataclysm spells the Gardener's Warcry from the Lore of Life and the Wood Elves' own Madrigal of Greening, the Wood Elves can summon mysterious forests and Blood Forests left, right and centre, covering the battlefield in a canopy of green. Chuck in either the Woodwaker's Wand or the Living Deadwood Staff as mythic artefacts and those very same woods can come to unholy life as monstrous infantry or inflict hits on any occupants respectively."

"Perhaps the most powerful of the spells available to the Wood Elves can be found in the Lore of Life, whose potent magicks can bring entire units back to life with Verdant Apotheosis."

However, most of the powerful spells we could access will be shared in Life and Beasts. I have a bad feeling we will only get terrain control through immunity, movement and summoning of woods.
Legomon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Legomon »

Been a while since I went to my local hobbycenter but Thursday I was there again... Playing and asking all WHFB fans if they were interested in the upcoming Storm of Magic. They all followed my opinion meaning none. The costs, the ridiculousness of the magic rules and the thing that was mentioned most was "the stupid movement of the board itself". No one is even considering buying a special board to play it.

I am wondering if this will be a hit or miss in the upcoming months.
It's playoff time... GO SHARKS!
Siegfried
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Bretonnia.

Post by Siegfried »

Personally I would prefer a release more based on fluff and progression of the background story or a new armybook release...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

~Milliardo~ wrote:I'm liking this supplement the more I read about it. Lots of modelling opportunities, new ideas, and lots and lots of crazy. 8th edition was a massive middle-finger to competitive tourney goers, and this just seems to continue that trend...

Long ago, I gained the ability to turn off the rational side of my brain... it allows me to enjoy movies, games, books, the internet, forums, lolcats, women, life and other things that would otherwise cause me lots of heartache, grief, stress and lead to a generally unhappier life. Embrace the stupid, and be brilliant, sirs! :3
There's an existentialist play in there somewhere, I'm sure. Good point!
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

All the SOM stuff is now posted on the GW main site. Did anyone bother to calculate how much it will cost if you want everything needed to play? ( incl counters etc )

I will tonight but if anyone cares to do it before tonight, thank you.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I'm buying the book, and a couple packs of 50mm and chariot bases. That's about it... I'll make my own life-themed fulcrums and I'll buy elephants, lions, and griffons and such from Sleisch. Projected costs amount to about $100, max for me.
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

I look forward to it for no other reason than the fact that it is in no way appealing to tournament players. I think it'll be a lot of fun to explode tons of models all at once, and I always found games in the 2k-3k range to be boring as all hell, I always preferred to play games in the 4K+ area. All I've heard so far from my local store is complaints, but the only people complaining are the one who think this game should be played like the world cup, when it is more akin to the world series of craps. I have no intention on buying any of the magic fulcrums, that is a simple waste of money and quite frankly they suffer from the typical GW disease of 'put more skulls on it'. I have no need to buy more monsters, hell I still have two old lammasu downstairs that need painting as well as a couple chimneras. I'll grab the book, I pre-ordered the spell deck holder thingy just because I like that kinda crap, maybe the templates if I like the looks of 'em, and thats about it. So I'm in for about 75-80 bucks. Not a huge investment by any means, and if by playing with these alternate rules means I don't have to listen to Magic players with an army of Silver Surfers tell me how their DE and WoC lists are perfectly balanced, then I'm all for it.
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

I outgrew Candy Land (and Monopoly) a long time ago. I don't need an adult versions of the same. :) I like my own input (strategy, tactics, etc.) to have a greater effect on the outcome (winning or losing) than random events and dice. This game, along with diverting resources and labor from getting the normal codex lag caught up, is nothing but a glorified sales campaign to move a lot of monsters you won't normally be able to use.
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

... Does the 1v1 fighting models make dragon riders more applicable?
'Cause that would be cool.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Azaireal wrote:... Does the 1v1 fighting models make dragon riders more applicable?
'Cause that would be cool.
'Seems too, from what I've read. It seems to make characters that can cast spells as well as fight and defend themselves a lot more useful as well - Vampires should do quite well.
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

Just for dramatic effect, a Dragon Mage on top of pyre spraying out evil... Mind you, I doubt that is possible.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Azaireal wrote:Just for dramatic effect, a Dragon Mage on top of pyre spraying out evil... Mind you, I doubt that is possible.
Check out the 'Getting Starting' article on the GW blog... they say it can be done under the High Elves section... now, how you could fit a chariot base with a dragon on top of one of those fulcrums is another story... hence, another reason I will make my own.
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

Caitsidhe wrote:I outgrew Candy Land (and Monopoly) a long time ago. I don't need an adult versions of the same. :) I like my own input (strategy, tactics, etc.) to have a greater effect on the outcome (winning or losing) than random events and dice. This game, along with diverting resources and labor from getting the normal codex lag caught up, is nothing but a glorified sales campaign to move a lot of monsters you won't normally be able to use.
Aside from what I bolded there I agree with you completely. I could not possibly agree more with the problem of having army books updated. My issue with the bolded part is that Warhammer will always be a beer and pretzels dice game, there is no getting around it. There are games out there that have a far better rules set for the employment of tactics and strategy. Hell there are some fantasy games that have better strategic rules. Warhammer and 40k are now, and forever will be, a gateway game that leads to better things. GW tries to dam the flow by making their items cost so much that many people don't want to move on because of all the money they have 'invested' (as a side note, investments traditionally return dividends). This is a hobby, and as such it should be fun. That is what this expansion will be, a fun game to throw out there when you and your friend are tired of playing blood and glory or watchtower for the umpteenth time.
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

~Milliardo~ wrote:
Azaireal wrote:Just for dramatic effect, a Dragon Mage on top of pyre spraying out evil... Mind you, I doubt that is possible.
Check out the 'Getting Starting' article on the GW blog... they say it can be done under the High Elves section... now, how you could fit a chariot base with a dragon on top of one of those fulcrums is another story... hence, another reason I will make my own.
I guess I'm going to have to forever field a Prince on a Stardragon with the item that makes him a lvl1. Now THAT'S going to be cool.

Though on a side note-I've noticed from the GW website "sneak peaks" that some of the monsters are cheaper than they are in the army books (ie griffon). I wonder if this means we will be able to field a CHEAPER treeman????
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

I wonder if the expansion will be flexible enough to take rules here and there to enhance the basic game without having to fall lock-step into an apocolypse-style game.

Maybe the rules will be flexible enough to accomodate house rules and agreements between players at the local level.

That way, one could, say, use the expanded monsters lists but not have to worry about cataclysmic spells and arcane fulcrums and the like.

Just a thought. I think putting a forest carnasaur in my army would be super cool.

Oh! Modelling opp: glade riders (or wild riders) on cold ones? Might look awesome.