Wood Elves 8th Edition FAQ

Moderator: Council of Elders

SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Wood Elves 8th Edition FAQ

Post by SquidBoy »

Games Workshop wrote:Q. Is it legal to equip a Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer with a
magic bow if it cannot have a normal one? (p53)
A. Yes.

Q: A Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer cannot use shields, does this
mean magical shields as well as a standard shield? (p53)
A: Yes.
Lol.. talk about shooting from the hip when answering.. double messages for the win. How can it in any universe be possible to wield a magic bow while waving a huge banner but NOT a magic shield.

:!: Oh wait.. everyone ofcause know that magic bows are super light and onehanded while magic shields are barndoors made of lead and gold.
soilworker
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: partial (ogres, orcs, dwarfs) woodies are primary

Post by soilworker »

in combat the BSB has to old the banner high, whilst shooting he can stab it in the ground. or maybe a spite carries it for him while shooting and hides away in combat? poking holes but hey it possible.
It will as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear -- Amos 5:19

beasts feld by bow: stegadon, rhinox rider, warsphinx, chimera, terrorgheist.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

SquidBoy wrote:
Games Workshop wrote:Q. Is it legal to equip a Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer with a
magic bow if it cannot have a normal one? (p53)
A. Yes.

Q: A Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer cannot use shields, does this
mean magical shields as well as a standard shield? (p53)
A: Yes.
Lol.. talk about shooting from the hip when answering.. double messages for the win. How can it in any universe be possible to wield a magic bow while waving a huge banner but NOT a magic shield.
You should read the rules 1st before making any statements. This answers are - for once - perfectly logical, rule-wise.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
herenvardo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE only for now
Location: Sant Cugat del Vallès, Vallès Occidental, Catalunya

Post by herenvardo »

unicorn wrote:You should read the rules 1st before making any statements. This answers are - for once - perfectly logical, rule-wise.
They are logical, indeed: they state that the BSB can't take shields and that they don't come with the "free" longbow a noble would normally have.

However, quite a stretch to say that they are perfectly logical when the BSB can purchase a magic bow, but not a mundane one. That's the fault of the rules rather than the FAQ, but isn't errata/FAQ documents' purpose to deal with the rules' flaws? :P
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

herenvardo wrote:However, quite a stretch to say that they are perfectly logical when the BSB can purchase a magic bow, but not a mundane one.
He also can not buy XHW or 2HW, tough he can buy magical ones. This is simply how the rules for the weapons works ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
herenvardo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE only for now
Location: Sant Cugat del Vallès, Vallès Occidental, Catalunya

Post by herenvardo »

unicorn wrote:He also can not buy XHW or 2HW, tough he can buy magical ones. This is simply how the rules for the weapons works ;)
And it's as absurd as in the case of bows:
- :evil: Look at me! I am the mighty Standard Bearer who can weild this Godly Greatsword of Awesome Pwnage!
- :ninja: Hey, the General has said that you should bring that shiny flamming banner of yours, so could you do with this mere "greatsword" for this battle?
- :D Sure! :crazy: err... wait... which end do you hold this from?
Hope you get the idea :P

The faq is surprisingly consistent with the rules, but the rules themselves are flawed. Just my viewpoint anyway.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

The fact is GW often makes silly rulings. Our BSB "should" be able to use a shield (most other BSBs can) but not a bow. That being said, whatever he "should" be able to do is beside the point. Our books says he can't, just like he can't have a Kindred for some reason. Go figure.
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

Just the way our book works for the moment. Why argue over it? If you think it's silly, than to you it is. Won't change a fairly clear ruling.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
orchid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by orchid »

Wait, so the Noble BSB does lose his longbow? So he just has a hand weapon then I assume? So if I want to give him the hail of doom arrow I must also equip him with a magical bow to fire it? Aka Asyendi's bane?
MyNameDidntFit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos & Imperial Guard

Post by MyNameDidntFit »

That is correct.

Though I understand it is houseruled or comp'd in many situations.
My blog of painting and Warhammer:
elves in the snow
(rather deceptively, it's actually mostly about my Warriors of Chaos at the moment)
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

Instead of our BSB getting the bow and shield options in comp environments I want to see the BSB go back to having only the hand weapon option in all books. That would make it an interesting piece on the table and make it more fragile but also distinctive.
orchid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by orchid »

It says in the FAQ that wild rider characters do not benefit from the fury or kurnous rule, but in the army book it clearly states the opposite... :(

Also does the magical banner that conveys armour piercing work with glade guard bows?
Lord Sloth
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and High Elves

Post by Lord Sloth »

orchid wrote:It says in the FAQ that wild rider characters do not benefit from the fury or kurnous rule, but in the army book it clearly states the opposite... :(

Also does the magical banner that conveys armour piercing work with glade guard bows?
I'm afraid you miss read the FAQ. The FAQ refers to the steeds of wildriders and wildrider characters. As for your banner question, that was FAQ'd in the core rules FAQ,
Q: If a unit with missile weapons has the Razor Standard, do
their shooting attacks have the Armour Piercing special rule?
(Reference)
A: No.
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." - Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren
orchid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by orchid »

OH, I'm glad I misread that haha. I guess since it didn't say "steeds, and steeds of wild rider characters" through me off.