Old fashioned Asrai log.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Zachos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Old fashioned Asrai log.

Post by Zachos »

Hello everyone. I've started this log already over at warseer, but thought I'd come here as well, as this is where one goes for wood elf related stuff.

To cut a long story short, I decided to go back to when I first started collecting warhammer, and make an old fashioned army. This came about because I got fed up of the new plastic models and looked on ebay for some of the older stuff. I'm really enjoying putting this army together, as they were actually my brothers army from back when we first started collecting. That was back when these models first started coming out, and I reckon they hold up really well.

So here are some pictures!

The first batch that arrived: Glade riders and skaw:

Then I got a couple of blisters of wardancers, and painted one up to use as a test model. The scheme for this army will be the classic one of green, brown and red, and each unit will have a fourth colour to differentiate them. For the wardancers, it's blue warpaint:

I've painted this model twice now, and enjoyed it more this time around. Thanks to the wonders of white metal I did some minor repositioning to make him look less like he came from a two part mold.

Finally, I assembled the glade riders and wardancers and undercoated the latter. Here's everything that's assembled so far:

Since that photo I've started on the wardancers, and ground off one of Skaw's falcon ribbons. He will only have one this time around, as I could only find one in a bits store on ebay. He will count as a noble with magic bow, as I notice he doesn't appear in the newest warhammer armies book.

I hope to get some more painting done soon, but in the meantime, thanks for reading.

Zac
TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Imperial Guard, Dark Elves

Re: Old fashioned Asrai log.

Post by TwistedHonour »

Wow those Glade Riders look amazing, but personally I would count them as Wild Riders ;)

and what is the model at the front? is that a Singer/weaver or a Noble?
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

I think that model is Scarloc?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Zachos wrote:The first batch that arrived: Glade riders and skaw:
If you read Zachos' post properly you'd know; the model at the front is Skaw the Falconer ;)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I love the idea! It's so nice to see someone else with the old models. I've got the same Wardancers and Skaw, and a bunch of old Clone Archers.

I've re-painted some of them, and put Skaw on a new base. You can see him here:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/GI ... ner1-1.jpg

My Wardancers never looked as good as yours do, back in the day, but I'll get to them eventually. :)

By the way, you should get hold of the old Waywatchers. Those models are at least the equal of today's.
The Shadow Sentinel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Necrons, Dark Eldar

Post by The Shadow Sentinel »

Man, how did you get the model for Scaw? I collect old fantasy character miniatures and I have looked and looked for him on eBay and elsewhere and never been able to get a hold of one.

Love the old WE horses BTW, they seem so much more elfy to me than the newer ones.
A single withered tree, if set aflame, causes a whole forest to burn.
TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TwistedHonour »

No I meant what would he be counting him as, as the model doesn't seem to be on sale anymore i'm just going by models (seeing as I don't have the army book yet :roll: )
Zachos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zachos »

Thanks for the interest guys.

@git: I'd be interested to see some more of your army. I love the old waywatcher models, and I'm not sure GW has surpassed them with any other elves since, except maybe last editions phoenix guard. Unfortunately, they'll have to wait until at least the 2000pts mark.

@TheShadowSentinel: I've seen loads of skaws on ebay in the past few weeks. The difficulty has been getting a falcon, and for a while I thought I might get a reaper hawk instead, but I managed to snap up a falcon the other day after all. Admittedly, I live across the pond, so it may be that there are more skaws in the English market than in Canada. I agree about the horses. Way cooler than the new ones.

@TwistedHonour: Skaw will count as a noble with magic bow to represent his hawks. In the last ruleset his hawks attacked three times in the shooting phase and could target individual models in units with no penalty, so I could use either the bow of loren or the hunter's talon depending on how many points I have, and what I want to use him for. They also used to defend him in close combat, so he'll count as having an extra close combat weapon.

Talking about army selections, the list that I'm working towards is the 1000pts list in the back of the old armies book. I'm well on my way to having all the models, and am getting on with the painting too. I've worked out a 1000pts list using the same models and adding in Skaw and a spellsinger, which I think is pretty cool. For now though, the list I'm making will be 500pts led by Skaw (I need to break it down into manageable chunks or I'll go crazy). The 500pt list ladies and gentlemen:

Wood Elf Noble……………………… 106pts
• Additional hand weapon
• Light armour
• Hunter’s Talon

Glade Guard x10…………………… 144pts
• Musician
• Standard bearer
• Lord’s bowman

Glade Riders x5………………………120pts

Wardancers x5…………………………115pts

485pts

I have enough points left here to switch the bow for the bow of loren, or give the wardancers a bladesinger if I want.

Thanks for reading.

Zac
TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TwistedHonour »

Cool, that model looks pretty impressive, its a shame they just stop making a model completely -.-*
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Zachos wrote:@git: I'd be interested to see some more of your army.
Here you are. http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20719

I haven't completed my repainting of the old Waywatchers yet, but I'll post them when they are done.