Unicorn's WE blog 2 - Why I like 8th

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Hallo there.
Well... Where to start. OK. So. I am dedicated WE player. They are my 1st army I play with and they are the army I play most. They are the army I have the most consistent results and they are the army I am trying to use in any serious games.
I have pretty decent W/L score with WE in 8th ed., (around 80+ %) but I am not regularly playing on tournaments. It is because usually if there is any tournament I have time and determination to go in, I am there as main umpire. On other hand, I am playing with regular tourney players from here around, helping them with testing their tournament rosters and strategies.

Now, why this thread? I was writing some stuff for LEAF, but the fact is that it takes great sum of time and effort of multiple people to finalize and post any article on the LEAF; and that the LEAF team right now do not have enough of this commodities to work properly. So I decide to start this thread, where I will in blog-like manner post my toughs about WFB, 8th ed and WE strategies and mechanisms. I wish to premise that all what you will see posted in this thread are only my personal ideas and opinions, based upon my experience and my gaming environment. You may (and probably will) disagree with many of them, and you are welcomed to share your opinions with me or anyone else.

Thank you for you attention :)
Last edited by unicorn on 13 May 2011, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's WE blog 1 - why to play WE?

Post by unicorn »

Why to play Wood elves? No, really, I mean it. Why to play WE? Why?

You know all the reasons why not:
They are weak. One of 3 very worst armies in WFB right now. At least, that is what they say.
They are overpriced. Their AB is old, their unit are weak and overpriced. You have like 4 units you need to build your army around. At least, this is what they say.
They are plain. They lost their unique game style because of 8th ed rules and get nothing in exchange. At least, this is what they say.

Well... Yeah, I can see reasons behind all this arguments.
WE are weak. Yes they are. And what? They always where. All you need is to do what you where always doing. Pick you fights. Attack and retreat, divert and dodge. I can hardly remember any WE player complaining about this fact in 7th ed. Why they are in 8th? The new rulles for attacking back changed the meta, but they changed it for every single army out there. You are saying that WE have always depended on killing enemy and do not get any attack back? Well, yeah. But so do the DE and HE. But heck, we have trees, who are pretty resilient. DE have hydra and HE have... nothing. So how come WE are „weak“ and DE/HE are not? Oh wait. I forget. They have newr ABs. Right, that must be it.
WE are overpriced. Yes, they are. And what? They always where. Stat/point wise, they where overpriced even when they was released. This is something WE have as their trademark or what. Did you complain about being overpriced 3 years before? If yes, everything is OK. If no... Why are you starting with it now?
WE are plain. If you play them like you play them in 7th ed, they definitelly are. With many armies, 7th ed builds are weak, but still work. The people can transfer to 8th ed soothly, by altering their lists point by point. But not WE. Our 7th ed rosters are useless. If you play them, you can easily be roflstomped by players who are much lover in skill level that you. If you wish to transfer to 8th ed, you need to rework your lists and strategies from the basic. But this does not mean they are plain or they are not unique.

And this is exactly why I LOVE to play WE in 8th ed. After the new BRB comes out, I complain about this „lost unique“ issue as well. I played few games with WE. Then I turn back to them and start trying another armies. Dawis. Beasts. Empire. Warriors. Whatever. They all was dull, boring and predictable. After 7th ed WE, they have had nothing to offer to me. So after some time, I get back to WE to give them another try. With all the experiences from other armies I tested. And you know what? I find that WE are still unique. As hell.
They have (or can have) one very special feature other armies lack: backing. Imagine you are playing Dawis and something went wrong. You roll poor for charge distance, you roll poor in fight, enemy roll high enough for stupid charge from 20“... Whatever. It went wrong. You are doomed. Or maybe not – but the fact is you have no good chance how to cover your ass, how to react.
WE are different. If you build your army properly, you can have everything covered. Anything went wrong? No problem, we have backing plan. And another backing plan backing our backing plan in case anything went wrong again.
Yes, this does not comes for free. You need to sacrifice some of your attacking power for the backing power. But hey, this is it. You need to find the ballance. Ballance between backing power and fighting power. If you have too much backing, you can get the very best feeling about your games, as you have cotroll over... well, not everything, but you are as close to this „everything“ as you can in 8th ed be. But you will lack the options to really stomp on your enemies hads. On other hand, if you have too much power, you can stom them all the day long, but you lack the backing. So if anything went wrong, you are DOOOOOOMed. Plus, you are missing one of main features the army of your choice have.

Well... I do not wish to argue that WE are weak. But they are not weak in the way most of the players understand this. They are not weak in the way they can not win. They are weak because you need to work harder that other armies in order to win. But if you do so, you can easily find that it is easier to win with WE that with many „OMG so strong“ armies.

You do not agree? Well, ok. Lets pretend I am wrong and you are right. But how come that Dryads are still considered to be one of the best core infantry units in whole game? How come that our Treekins are considered to be the very best monstrous infantry unit (and MI units are considered to be gamebreaking type of unit)? How come we have one of the best magic-defense items in the game in from of Wand of Wych Elm? How come we have one of the best defensive items in the game in form of the Stone of Rebirth? Not to speak about things like CoR, HoDA, AoN..?
How is it possible that an army with great core infantry unit, strong core shooting, awesome special unit, and very decent rare choices is one of the worst armies out there?

No, really. I love my WE. I know they are not strong, but also, they are not weak. They are extremely fun to play with and extremely satisfying to win with.
And they give me the controll over the game no other army have.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Mc_Julio
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Unicorn's WE blog 1 - Why to play WE?

Post by Mc_Julio »

No, really. I love my WE. I know they are not strong, but also, they are not weak. They are extremely fun to play with and extremely satisfying to win with.
And they give me the controll over the game no other army have.
I totally agree with that!
To my mind I would say that it is maybe harder to win a game compared to some "cheated armies" :D but it is also easier not to loose...

We have the quickest army of the game (appart maybe from the full pegasus bretonnian roster).

I frequently play in tournament (around one per month, with at least 30 players, since the begining of the year), and most of them starts to introduce more and more scenaries instead of "battle line" fights. And in this frame WE are just GREAT!!

I started 8th with my KO army, fun sometimes but also boooring against some armies and no matter of the result (I had pretty good ones with KO) I take more pleasure playing my WE, and this is mainly due to the moving phase which is to my mind the moment when you win a battle (instead of casting dwellers, "wouhouuu I killed all your charcaters coz' I'm lucky and not you" :thumbsdown: ).

To conclude I will say that I started buying WE little by little in 7th. At the beginning it was just for painting with my girlfriend :D , I played few games but with no more than 1500pts. I really strated playing them regularly (and in tournament) in 8th for the "challenge" they were offering (as you say because they are considered a weak army) and I'm quite happy with that!!

Thanks for this tread ;)
Hillbilly Carl
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Bretonnians

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

I agree with what you are saying Unicorn, I've got the best W/L record in my local league and am currently the points leader. I am actually really happy with how the wood elves stack up this edition and I'm afraid of what is going to happen when our book does get updated. With all my other armies I'm excited to see what they do with a new book but I think we still have a really unique army with Wood Elves and I don't want it to get re-worked to look like all the others.

Thanks for posting this and I look forward to future posts!
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Hi,

In fact, I have choosen WE bescause of their story, cool models, not because of play-style or because one army is OP. I like them and I will not change even if they were far weaker. I thing every army/race is powerfull when you know how to exploit its strength and minimize its weaknes. Sometimes I think about new race, when I imagene how powerfull are friends units (Im simply wondering, how is possible they can lose :)). But no other army draw me.

I like to play WE because they are considered weak - it is sweet to beat some OP race whith WE. Anyway, I dont lose much. I could not play simple strategy, just march forward like brainless. And this may be the point, why WE are strong - it is not because WE army is strong, but because we have to think about every step twice, plan 2 rounds in advance at least, be prepared for everything and carefully pick charges. We cant count on unbeatable units (or if we have them, they are too few and expesive), on hordes of infantry, we cant simply lose a couple of charges, because we have a lot of nice units. We are forced to be the best generals, otherwise we lose, it is a must for us. Well, I need to say, the difference is in players :D If all players think about it the same way and dont just simply trust their OP unist and magic, I have doubt we could be so "powerfull" like today. One example - i tried to play with VC against several armies and used similar strategy as I use with WE (of course, they are not so mobile, etc.), carfully prepared muliple/charges and I smashed everything I faced.

I only hope new armybook will not change the spirit of WE. I would appreciate more ambush, traps, mobility - I can imagine scirmishing Treekin and Glade Guard :lol:
Tachunka
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Space Wolves

Post by Tachunka »

Originally I started playing Wood Elves because the only fellow that did in the area moved to the coast. So I started playing them in second edition. I loved figures, especially Waywatchers and Treemen. Having been a medic in the Army, I had a certain love for Green and Camouflage paint schemes. As I learned to play them, my fellow players started calling my army the 'Viet Cong from Hell'. I loved that after all I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. I have so much fun and enjoy the game with my green meanies more than any other army.

And I agree with many others, I hope we don't lose our downright sneaky and unique feeling.
Ember of the Hidden Paths
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Ember of the Hidden Paths »

i completely agree with you about the uniqueness, and i find no, i am able to play wood elf tactics quite easily
this is because i have no treekin, and so i use masses of skirmishing archers
my friends absolutely hate it as i dance around their heavy combat units, as i only verse lizardmen, VC, and Chaos
i find that their tactics, particularly against these armies work amazingly
One does not simply take a Wild Rider charge...
OverlordSlayer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OverlordSlayer »

Originally I started my adventure with WHFB by playing Vampire Counts. After months of learning the basics of the game I started looking for some other army since all my friends considered my army cheesy :D (you don't get to play too many games if you win so often leaving the opponent almost no chance - remember Fear Out Of Numer? Then you know what I am talking about). My choice was the Wood Elves since I didn't know anyone playing it and when it comes to think about it is not very unpopular horde. After I learned some facts about the army, fluff from the AB I knew this army is for me. Not because they are incredibly strong (which they are) but because of the skills it requires to play them. It is incredibly hard to manage units where almost all wounds mean a killed model on your side. Planning a good ambush or retreat in order to shoot is really important here. Having experience with Vampire Counts taught me I cannot depend on R'n'F units or heavy cavarly as we do not have too many of those (or at all when it comes to tough riders).
Looking for some knowledge I found asrai.org with plenty of important notes about the experience playing with and against Shadow Stalkers. Thanks to Unicorn I found out that Close Combat is not the only way to win the battle. During the 7th edition I picked up Unicorn's idea of Sethayla rooster. What a great tactic! One of the best roosters ever. I modified it many times in order find what suits me best. Effects were just outstanding. 2250 pts game against Warriors of Chaos (close combat oriented) during the 4th turn I had 3 waywatchers as casuality while the opponent had a dead Deamon Prince, 2 shattered units of Chaos Knights, BSB looking for cover, 2 annihilated Chaos Spawns and a lot of mutilated barbarians. I have never had such a result while playing VC.
8th Edition caused a lot of commotion and a total rebuild of ideas. Shooting is no longer enough to win. New rules involve using units we would never use before. While other armies just need a few modifications (look at VC, WoCh, deamons or Dwarfs) Asrai require the whole new plan for roosters.
Very flexible army I would recommend to everyone if they weren't so stubborn when it comes to learning the basics of the game. So far WE are the best army to play because of high demand of thinking, strategy and well-laid plans. If you want to really test your skills, start playing WE and the whole game of WHFB will gain new colours.

I am looking forward to read new post, Unicorn. Thank you for sharing your ideas about the game.
Baron
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Baron »

Looking forward to your next post. I'd love to see more about how to use WE with such flexibility, and about what sort of back-up plans are possible.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

I get some spare time again, so here am I with another blog post.

An the very beginning, I wish to thank you all for so many and so nice responses. I did not expect to get so many of them, and so positive ones. Thank you a lot.

And now to the topic...

Why I like 8th

I think you all (or most of you ;) ) still remember 7th ed. I know, it was great. We all love it. But let's face one basic fact: Except very few armies (WE included), the game turned into herohammer, or eventually deathstarhammer. No, really. Just think about it.

7th ed era of sheer killing

In 7th, if you where looking to be competitive, you care about one single thing about your units (heroes included): sheer killing power. The ability to kill enemy models as fast and as brutally as possible. If you manage to do it, you win. The killing power for close combat was estimated pretty simply - as combination of A, S and WS, supported by M and adjusted by I and another support effects (as hatered). For shooting, it was simply S, BS, and No of shots, supported by another effects (as poison). For magic, it was even more simply - it depends upon what lore can you take (and if it have THAT spells) and how many additional PDs you can generate. End of story.

There also was one more thing you can care about your troops - staying power. If you have enough stying power, you can counter killing power units by holding them up long enough to smash them with your own killing power-based unit. The stying power was also simple - it was combination of T, AS, WS and regen.

And this was the problem. Noone really cares much about how many the models costs. If your unit costs you 1500 pts out of 2250, it was OK, as long as it was dangerous enough. Noone really cares about blocks of cheap infantry - they where nothing but cannon fodder. Noone cares much about anything that killing power - and ways how to support it. Take one or two superunits, three or four supercharacters/supermages, add few fastcav/cheap skirmish units for diverting, eventually one delivery unit for your superkiller character and tada! - you just get the typical 7th ed powerhouse army. Army able to dominate the battlefield.

And now, 8th ed comes in

But this all changed with that "oh so stupid so random so boring wtf gtfo lol" 8th ed. And GW manage to change this completely with 3 rules only. Yes - 3 simple rules changes the game where it is today. And I must say that as far as competitive gaming goes, I like this new state much more that the old one. Because it not only allows much more diversity, but it is actually pretty balanced. There are new types of deathstar and they are pretty strong. Yes. But the system itself give you several different ways how to counter them.

And what more, this 3 rules have one superawesome side effect. Unlike 7th ed, now each and every army have its own unique playstyle. Basically it is based upon how strong, how tough and how cheap units are you able to field and how good your shooting options are. Of course, you can ignore it and go for some general methods of playing, but if you wish to use your army maximally effective, you need to learn how to do it. You will find that unique part of your army and learn how to use it. You know what I mean? Oh, no? Ok, let me give you one simple example:

In terms of diverting, noone have better options that Orcs. You can go full-orc army, supported with multiple naked goblin big bosses on wolves. Actually, they are pretty awesome. They are fast cav, they cost you stupid 47 points, they did not cause panics... Not to mention small wolf rider units for 50 pts! WTF? This is awesome! This is ridiculous! Oh, wait... We are not talking WE. We are talking Orcs. I mean, like... WTF, diverintg? What for? If you wish to be effective with orcs, you do not need it! You will miss that 200-250 points you put into uncomparable diverting options badly. Why? You are asking? You are orcs! You do not care whether you charge them or they charge you. You do not care at all! All you care about is to be IN the fight. So gtfo diverters! You are standing in our very own way!

Did you get my point? Can you imagine how awesome will such diverting units be for WE? I can. But for orcs, they are just... meh. They can use them, but if you wish to be trully effective, you need completely different things.

The reign of 3 rules

Ok, back to the topic. So, what are this 3 super uber extra rules I am talking about? The 3 rules who make every army unique, who allows multiple different playstyles, who makes most of the units effective?

New way of removing casualties, support attacks and steadfast.

This is it. And if you think about it, it really works. Remember the killing power thing I was talking about in 7th ed? Well. 8th ed have MUCH more diversity. You can go for killing power now. You can keep killing your enemies - and after some time, you will eventually even get some VPs out of it. But (usually) it is not matter of simple "charge - kill - break" one turn madness.
You can also go for staying power. This will allows you to deny the points and to pin dangerous enemy units down without actually doing anything.
Or you can go for sheer numbers of cheap models. Yes, you will loose tons of models and in the end often whole unit, but who cares? That 40 slaves of yours (worth stupid 80 VPs) just manage to hold enemy superduperkillapowa unit for 3 turns pinned down! You know what that mean? It means that unit most probably get 80 VPs for whole battle, while I was able to not care about it at all, not to fear it. Nice try, mate. Be my guest and come again.

And it really works. At 1st glance, you can think that deathstar horde units with killing power are damn strong. They have killing power and numbers. But hey. I have my dwellers. Or lucky Infernal Gateway. Or purple sun. Or pit of shades. Or enfembling foe. Or final transmutation. Or kadon. Or Bad moon. Or 40 skaven slaves... No matter what I have, enjoy your horde dying, or doing nothing. Nice try, mate.

So as the result, 8th ed have very nice rock-paper-scissor system inside. And the system is based on this 3 rules. They give you very nice options, all viable. You can go for big units of cheap models, like 40 skaven slaves. And they can be countered by sheer killing power. You can go for big units of decent models, like 40 halbediers. And they can be countered by monstrous infantry. You can go for multiple medium-sized units of decent infantry. And they can be countered by hordes, killing power or monstrous infantry. You can go for monstrous infantry. And the counter will be big cheap units, or killing power, or great staying power. You can go for strong hordes. And you know the counters fro previous paragraph. You can go for much more things, and all of them have multiple counters.

It works. It is nice. And I like it.

So... Why I like 8th?

Because of all above. I can understand why so many people hates it. Last 12 years (6th and 7th ed), everyone was able to play more or less the some game, his game. The game was still the same, the basic strategies was the same. For freaking 12 years. And now BOOM and everything is different. Old strategies are obsolete. And you need to learn new things and adapt. After freaking 12 years...

But in fact, I love 8th ed. No matter what many players keep saying about how random it is, and how simple it is, it is not. This eddition have a lot of diversity. It have a lot of unique. It have DAMN high skillcap, much higher that 6/7th ed. It supports multiple viable strategies. It gives you many options what to do, how to play and how to counter. And mainly, it is FUN...
Painted
Finished
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Re: Unicorn's WE blog 2 - Why I like 8th

Post by Kulgan86 »

Again a good read. Kudos Uni!
herenvardo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE only for now
Location: Sant Cugat del Vallès, Vallès Occidental, Catalunya

Post by herenvardo »

Nice posts so far, keep it up! ;)
Mc_Julio
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mc_Julio »

Hey,
Nice post again.
I will just had one bad point for 7th ed. The fact that some armies were truelly NOT COMPETITIVE at all.
Basicly in my area a tournament with 36 players was composed of 8/9 demons, 8/9 DE, 8/9 VC, 3/4 skavens, empire and then one O&G, one ogre, one WE, one TK ...who were all smashed down by the previous armies I mentionned. And so the final game was generally Demon VS Demon or DE or VC...

8th ed allowed to play again some armies like O&G, Ogres, HE without being sure to be crushed in tournaments :D
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Keep posting :)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Tachunka
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Space Wolves

Post by Tachunka »

So, Unicorn, you have read it. I have read it. But I am finding the deeper I get into 8th, the more I find MMSU works for Wood Elves. Multiple Moderately Sized Units have somewhat better staying power, enough killing power and can pin. I screen with Dryads, pinning with Dryads and Glade Guard, then Hammer with Treekin and Treemen. How do you feel about this?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Tachunka wrote:So, Unicorn, you have read it. I have read it. But I am finding the deeper I get into 8th, the more I find MMSU works for Wood Elves. Multiple Moderately Sized Units have somewhat better staying power, enough killing power and can pin. I screen with Dryads, pinning with Dryads and Glade Guard, then Hammer with Treekin and Treemen. How do you feel about this?
That I do not understand what the question is? :D
But if I get it right, you described basic WE strategy. Take mid-size units. Do what you described. Maybe you can add that you divert with eagles and eventually scouts. And that is it.
Painted
Finished
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

I would like to add a few crucial rules that make 8th edition completely different (and IMHO better) than 7th:

Pre measuring, combat reform rules and random charge distance.

The major change this combination had on the game was that it changed strategy from one of risk taking, to one of risk management.

Knowing how far away the opposing units are means you can set traps, place diverting units how you please, KNOWING what they are going to do. This may seem over powered if not for the random charge distance not guaranteeing that the trap will work (many a time my traps have failed due to a failed charge).

A lot of the nerd rage "I'm quitting to start playing warmachine" etc was because with flanking not removing steadfast (good rule) the theoryhammerers out there saw no point to tactics other than running into each other.

However, start thinking with your risk management hat on, and setting up the flank charges (through use of bait units, diverters etc) becomes very important BECAUSE of step up + the way to remove steadfast is to have equal or greater ranks AT THE END OF COMBAT-flank charges make this a more likely scenario.
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Now, one not-so-happy reply. I stopped playing 8th. Haven't played since New Year. And for that there're two reasons: 1.) AC kills my ideas. 2.) I can't roll dices.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Joelatron wrote:...
I can not agree more.

Tough the problem was that even now my blog post is horribly long. And adding this (and few more things) will make it even longer. So I take out the one thing I like most - the fact all armies have now they own unique playstyle. And that it is because 3 simple rules, who are hated a lot, but who changed the game to be better completely.

There are much more I wish to say about new things in 8th ed. Right now I plan to have my next post about random charge - the thing most players hate on 8th most. But in fact, this is one of the greatest changes GW made, as it sets up very high skillcap and in long-term, it differs pros from bros...

But more about this in my next blog :D
Painted
Finished
Jeroen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jeroen »

Okay! I hope you can adress the point that so many people feel that maybe they still can win and/or have à good game, but that some of the finest units that stirr our imagination have lost their attraction on the battlefield. Be it for victory of playstyle.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

The random charge is fine. The gutting of the effects of terrain was stupid.
Starbound
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Starbound »

i find myself agreeing with many of the points made on this thread. the one thing i am hoping for in 9th is a swarm of tiny little forest spirits :D