Frimbleglim's Work in Progress Conversions

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Eldar

Frimbleglim's Work in Progress Conversions

Post by Frimbleglim »

Several people here have posted questions regarding combining wood elf parts with high elf and dark elf pieces in order too create all the different troop types from plastic. Here are my attempts along with a half complete treeman sculpt. I will also be making some treekin similar to those made by unicorn.

I would say what the different conversions are, but I think it would be more fun to see if you can guess. ;) Enjoy!

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... nversions/

PS. Again the pictures are too large to embed, hence the link.

PPS. Some of these models are unlikely to make it through to the final army in any recognisable form. The model with the corsair body and dryad head for example I don't much like. I just stuck it together with blue tack as an experiment and thought I might as well post it for reference.
Elf-light, bat-light,
Touchwood-light and toad-light,
And the sea a shimmering gloom of grey,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
In a world of wonders far away.
Unendil
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Frimbleglim's Work in Progress Conversions

Post by Unendil »

first page..the mounted "Wild Rider" ..this is an Awesome conversion...what pieces is he made of...looks like glade rider horse and legs, is the whole head a corsair head or just details?...is that a high elf spear?...I might have to convert something a bit pazazz-ier....but it works...I love the positioning of the sword arm and the overall look is great...
pageant of shrikes
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by pageant of shrikes »

I like the spear, that looks like a cheaper way to make eternal guard.

I also thought that the dark elf legs with woodie cloaks and torsos looked very medieval and robin hood like.

the dryad legs with dark elf torso is a wierd looking but very "je ne sais pas" but i really like the idea of asrai so consumed with the forest that they have slowly begun to turn into forest spirits themselves.
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Frimbleglim »

Unendil wrote:first page..the mounted "Wild Rider" ..this is an Awesome conversion...what pieces is he made of...looks like glade rider horse and legs, is the whole head a corsair head or just details?...is that a high elf spear?...I might have to convert something a bit pazazz-ier....but it works...I love the positioning of the sword arm and the overall look is great...
Thanks, the parts are as follows: Head-corsair (there is only one of these heads on each 10 man sprew sadly but I have not changed it), Torso- Dark elf warrior, Right arm with spear- Dark elf warrior banner pole (there is one of these on every dark elf warrior sprew, each sprew contains 4 models so I have a lot of these), left arm- dark elf corsair, legs- glade rider, horse- glade rider. So pretty much what you guessed. This is just a test model stuck together with blu-tack. I always do this before glueing to help me see if I like the look and also how much sculpting I will need to do.
pageant of shrikes wrote:I like the spear, that looks like a cheaper way to make eternal guard.

I also thought that the dark elf legs with woodie cloaks and torsos looked very medieval and robin hood like.

the dryad legs with dark elf torso is a wierd looking but very "je ne sais pas" but i really like the idea of asrai so consumed with the forest that they have slowly begun to turn into forest spirits themselves.
Again thanks, my reasoning is that just because there isn't a blade on the other end doesn't meen they arn't going to hit you with it. The legs are from the dark elf corsair. The rest is glade rider parts.

The plan for the glade guard is to make them look oriental. I love films such as "Hero" and "Curse of the Golden Flower" and wanted to create that kind of layered silk look to the unit I intend to sculpt green stuff leaves and flowers over the mail to create an impression of embroidered fabric rather than armour. In fact I am considering leaving the cloaks and hoods off the models to help create this effect. As I have said in other threads I am planning on a red, white and pink colour scheme with dark brown and dark green for contrast.

here are some stills from these films for those unfamiliar with the style.

The dryad body actually just has a dark elf corsair breastplate stuck to the front (after trimming down the front of the dryad torso). As the description says this is to be an alter highborn. I didn't think it fitted the theme of my dryads.

Thank you to both of you for posting. I'm glad someone liked the conversions.

PS. I would also like to make spellsinger model based on the character on the right in this picture. I've yet to work out a way of doing this though. I'll probably just have to sculpt most of it.
Elf-light, bat-light,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Very impressive conversions, I particularly like the Standard Bearer & Wardancer with Spear on the second page. I love your theme and think it'll make for a great showpiece Army. As for your Spellsinger idea, it has the potential to be a stunning model. Perhaps try lots of layered painted paper. Once it's painted your can easily fold and shape - a technique I've used on my W40K Army standard bearer with multiple Battle Honour scrolls coming off the main banner but I think could be used to create those amazing robes caught in the wind.

Just need to paint them.......! I look forward to seeing the finished models.
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Frimbleglim »

Thanks Tenaka, the war-dancer with spear is actually going to be an eternal guard or possibly eternal guard hero. I would probably go for something more airborn, more unarmed or with more wind swept cloth for a wardancer, but as they are so weak a unit anyway I haven't made one as yet.

I feel flattered at the suggestion that this could be a show-piece army but sadly I don't have the skill to do this. I just get carried away with my conversions sometimes.

Really I consider myself a gamer on a budget. If I sat down with all the army books and the BRB I know I could make a decent tournament army but I haven't' the money to buy all books let alone to buy the optimal army. In any case, I consider warhammer too commercial and the rules too carelessly written for the game to be played competitively. So I stick with the army I like and try to make a decent casual army unformulated this isn't easy with wood elves at the moment and it certainly isn't' cheap. Most of the conversions here, with the exception of the dryads are somewhat cheaper ways of making the troop types by using plastic parts.

This isn't intended to show off my skill (which is really quite limited) so much as to show how an army might be built on a budget.

Your paper idea may work. I have had mixed success with that kind of modelling. The war-dancer hero in my classic army has a cloak made from two pieces of newspaper with green stuff sandwiched in between. The problem in my experience is not in modelling fabric this way but in creating a model durable enough to game with and a surface smooth enough to pain on.

I have recently been experimenting with acetate overhead projector film as wings for my swooping hawks in my eldar army (I was planning on joining a 40k tournament at my club but in the end decided I had to finish the dark heresy (40k roll play) adventure I was playing in). This has interesting properties and it may be possible to sculpt green stuff on top of this to create thin fabric.

As an aside I should probably say that the treeman scratch sculpt was started when I was 15 or possibly younger and I have not worked on it since I started my A levels later that year (I am nearly 21 now). If I continue with this I will reposition the arms to reach out more gracefully like branches and will remove the fingerprints. It should be clear in light of this that it is not a particularly difficult feat to sculpt a passable tree to this standard. Faces are more difficult in my experience but on a large scale and with the option of making a more stylised model with a less distinct face it should be possible to complete a sculpt of this kind.
Elf-light, bat-light,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Frimbleglim »

I have taken some pictures of the treekin I started to make yesterday. These are not yet finished but are proving very easy to make. I can provide a step by step guide for anyone who is interested although it should be fairly obvious how they are made. I was going to make them the way Unicorn made his but this seemed easier.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... AG0321.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... AG0324.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... AG0330.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... AG0329.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... AG0328.jpg

For more pictures see the album link: http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i48 ... nversions/
I will post them in the ultimate alternative treeman/treekin thread when they are finished.
Elf-light, bat-light,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling