WFO Herald (Wood Elves) vs. Beithir (Beasts) 8th Edition

Play all your WFO battles in here!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

WFO Herald (Wood Elves) vs. Beithir (Beasts) 8th Edition

Post by Beithir Seun »

Here's our shiny new 8th Edition thread then :)

And our "new" map:

With new Elven Waystone and Herdstone* :D

* The Herdstone can count as an Idol of Gork in game terms ;)

Did you want to play one of the scenarios?

I thought I'd save our fluff as well
Khrazagor had caught the scent of the elf-things days before, but had been unable to tell the direction it was coming from until the herd had journeyed up into the hills in search of prey. While the rest of the herd had feasted on the carcasses of the goats and the man-things that had guarded them, Khrazagor and his Shaman Borzhar had crossed the hill range following the scent until they were certain of it's origin. Now the whole herd descended on the elven wood, bringing death in their wake.
Untrue to his habits, Sayolon had stayed in the vicinity of Nakhai all through the summer. Repulsed as he was by the sheer crowdedness of the settlement, it now held a treasure he found himself unwilling to part with.

He had visited Arawn regularly since after she woke up. It had taken a full moon's cycle before she started enjoying his company, another before the physicians would let her even near a horse, and still her shoulder was causing her considerable pain, he knew. Her pride was hurt as much as her body, and she kept blaming herself for acting like a juvenile in the critical moments when she was needed as a leader. And she blamed him for playing target practice on a field of battle. He had teased her with her sudden urge to rescue him, and she had flushed and smiled that secret, shy smile he liked so well.

The morning after, the facts remained though, that their pathetic actions had cost many lives, elves and spirits alike, and the humans maintained a threat against the southern groves.

Now the cool winds of autumn had made their presence known, and Sayolon didn't like the rainy winters of the Lahin valley. Arawn on her part had started brooming. Her brethren were letting the horns of the hunt sound, while she was stuck in civilization, arguing with physicians and taking long walks in the open beech forest.

It's time to make a change, for better or for worse, Sayolon said to himself after a tenser than usual visit with Arawn. But just then fate decided to throw a familiar hooded figure in his path, ruining any plans he may have laid. Tallec's voice had that little tint of fear in it as she courtesly invited him to the dwellings of the old tree spirit Farrbehr.

He had had plenty of time to think out a response to the treants plea, but like several others present found himself dumbfounded in the face of reality. An ancient enemy had awoken. Beastmen had been sighted, or rather heard, in the hills only a few days ride away. And once again, Sayolon found himself enrolled into the army of the Lahin-Nakhai...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: WFO Herald (Wood Elves) vs. Beithir (Beasts) 8th Edition

Post by Beithir Seun »

And my very slightly tweaked list:
Khrazagor ~ 325pts
- Gnarled Hide, Armour of Destiny, The Steel Claws, Tuskgor Chariot

Borzhar ~ 160pts
- Lv.2, Feedback Scroll

Ungor Herd (15) ~ 90pts
- Full command

Ungor Raiders (10) ~ 63pts
- Musician

- Musician

- Musician

- Musician

Warhounds (6) ~ 36pts

Warhounds (6) ~ 36pts

Gor Herd (20) ~ 185pts
- Full command, additional hand weapons

Gor Herd (20) ~ 185pts
- Full command, additional hand weapons

Tuskgor Chariot ~ 80pts

Tuskgor Chariot ~ 80pts

Centigors (5) ~ 146pts
- Musician, Standard Bearer

Centigors (5) ~ 146pts
- Musician, Standard Bearer

Ghorgon ~ 275pts

Total ~ 1996pts
And the same templates as last time :smirk:

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

This certainly took a while, but I've finally managed to assemble a list that could work, is coherent with the fluff (or close enough) and testing some new 8th setups.
Tallec, General, SW lvl 4 Life, w WoWE and SotCM, 335 pts
Sayolon, BSB, w Armour of Destiny (h.a., 4+ ws), 140 pts

Core (562>500):
14 GG w mus/std, 186 pts
13 GG w mus/std, 'Banner of Cleansing Fire' (flaming attacks), 184 pts
8 Dryads, 96 pts
8 Dryads, 96 pts

Special (574<1000)
5 WD w mus, 97 pts
6 WR w FC, Warbanner, 217 pts
4 TK, 260 pts

Rare (385<500)
Farrbehr, TM, 285 pts
2 GE, 100 pts

Total: 1996 pts
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

And my templates:

All facings are upwards (i'll give Tallec a grey cloak come deployment, didn't think of that), and the red banner on the grey GG is the flaming banner (as if you couldn't guess that much...)

I guess it's time to roll for spells, too:
Lore of life wrote:
Result of the throw of dice "4d6" :

2 + 1 + 4 + 2
I can work with that, taking Throne of vines for the second Flesh to stone

List of spells:
-Awakening of the woods
-Flesh to stone
-Throne of vines
-Shield of thorns
Beithir Seun wrote:With new Elven Waystone and Herdstone* :D

* The Herdstone can count as an Idol of Gork in game terms ;)
That's cool. :thumbsup:
Beithir Seun wrote:Did you want to play one of the scenarios?
I do consider it part of the rules, so if you don't mind, yes, please. I'll even roll for it while I'm at it:
Scenario wrote:
Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

1 = 1
Kind of dull, but a good old-fashioned pitched battle it is, then! :cool:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Forgot to mention that Borzhar is using Beasts, so I'll roll for spells now
Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

5 + 4 = 9
Damn, no Transformation :P That's Savage Beast of Horros and Curse of Anraheir. I'll swap Savage Beast for Wildform instead :)

And finally, roll for deployment/table edge:
Rolling "1d6" 2 times

1: 2 = 2
2: 1 = 1
Off to a good start :smirk:
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Roll for table sides wrote:Rolling "1d6" 2 times

1: 5 = 5
2: 1 = 1
I'll take the lower side again. :D

And could you please do me the favour of repeating the special rules for your troops? I have done several attempts to dig up information on Beastmen, but I just can't seem to find much. Even GW's reference sheet is from the old book... :confused:

Apart from Ambush, which you explained last time around, I specifically wonder what the rules for the Ghorgon, Centigors and Tuskgor chariots are, and how your Ungor raiders are armed. ;)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

So here's the map with my free wood, not that I think it will do me much good... <.< ;)

Eleven
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Retribution of Scyrah

Post by Eleven »

Mod vs. LEAF. This will be interesting. I like the fluff.
Asrai 2010 - 8th
W:10 T:2 L:0
My Wood Elves
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Thank you, Eleven. In case you're interested, the WE fluff is continued from our previous battle, found here:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17991 :cool:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Cheers Eleven :) It certainly will be interesting :sexy:

Here are the rules you asked for Herald. If you want further clarification (or have more questions) feel free to ask, as always :)

Ghorgon: Frenzy, Immune to Psychology, Large Target, Terror, Stubborn
Bloodgreed - If a model with Bloodgreed wins a round of combat, they become Frenzied. If already Frenzied, the model gains an additional attack each time they win a round of combat (which are lost if the Frenzy is lost). Models with Bloodgreed only overrun and pursue D6"
Swallow Whole - The Ghorgon may forego all it's normal attacks and instead make a single special attack at Initiative 1. The attack has the Killing Blow rule but on To Wound rolls of 4, 5 or 6 rather than just 6
Strength from Flesh - Each time the Ghorgon causes a Killing Blow with Swallow Whole, it regains D3 wounds that were lost earlier in the battle

Centigors: Primal Fury
Drunken - Roll a D6 at the beginning of the game 1-2 "Sober for Once" Unit gains +2 Initiative, 3-4 "Hangover from hell" Unit may reroll Primal Fury tests, but suffer -1 Movement, 5-6 "Drunken Bravado" Unit is Stubborn

Armed with shields, light armour and spears

Tuskgor Chariots: Primal Fury, Chariot

Bestigor armed with great weapon, Ungor driver armed with spear

Ungor Raiders: Primal Fury, Beastman Ambush, Skirmishers

Armed with hand weapon and short bows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, before you start deploying I should tell you that one of the Gor units and two of the Raider units will be starting in Ambush ;)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Thanks a lot, Beithir!

Only one more question (for now) regarding Beastmen, how did Primal Fury work again? Silly me...

Another thing is how do we deal with some of the terrain, primarily the ruins: As they are circular, getting our all-ranked-up units to treat them as walls seems very impractical, how about being an obstacle that provides hard cover to any unit more than halfway within? (Fishing... :roll: )

The second issue is with the forests. I was slightly disappointed in my latest game at being targeted through two large woods, which borders on ridiculous IMHO. I won't mind if you want to go with the easy solution here, but if we can come up with something clever, all the better. Suggestions off the top of my head:
-LoS can only be drawn through one forest at a time.
-Hard cover granted after a minimum number of inches (6?).
-LoS blocked after (6?) inches.
But you're better than me at simplifying, so just cut through the crap! ;)

-And finally, What does the hill block LoS to? A) Everything, or B) Everything but Large targets. And does it provide hard cover? (I'm asking because a hill can be so many things, so anything you fancy goes...)

As for the battle itself, "No quarter will be given, and none shall be asked!" :sexy:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Primal Fury - at the beginning of each round of combat, engaged units with the rule take a Ld test. If passed, the unit gains Hatred (even if not the first round). If passed on double 1s then they gain Frenzy and Hatred.

As for terrain:

Ruins - Dangerous Terrain to all but skirmishers, and granting hard cover. I don't think they should be an obstacle because there are quite obviously gaps :P

Forests - LoS can only be drawn through one forest, and soft cover applies as normal. More than 6" in to a single forest gives hard cover instead (shooting through that many trees would require perfect aim!)

Hill - blocks LoS to all but Large Targets, and grants soft cover to Large Targets behind it (as they will be half hidden).

How does that sound?

Aside from that, obviously the "stream" (river) and forests will be rolled for as and when required :)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote:Ruins - Dangerous Terrain to all but skirmishers, and granting hard cover. I don't think they should be an obstacle because there are quite obviously gaps :P

Forests - LoS can only be drawn through one forest, and soft cover applies as normal. More than 6" in to a single forest gives hard cover instead (shooting through that many trees would require perfect aim!)

Hill - blocks LoS to all but Large Targets, and grants soft cover to Large Targets behind it (as they will be half hidden).

How does that sound?
Sounds great! :nod:

Here's my first deployments then:

The Eagle is inside the woods, so let's see what kind it is:
Mysterious forest wrote:

4 = 4
That's a Blood Forest, then. Has probably grown 'allergic' to spells being so close to the Waystone... :p
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Two lots of sacrifi....I mean, Warhounds :paranoid:

5 = 5
That's a Venom Thicket then
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Just thought I'd let you know I'll be gone till over the weekend. Going camping with my daughter. :cool:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Hope you enjoy your weekend! (even though it's probably nearly over by now :( )
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Strange, I posted my second deployment on Monday, but it doesn't seem to have registered... :roll:

Here it is again, then, pardon the delay:

And the roll for the Free Wood:
Mysterious Forest wrote:

3 = 3
Which is another Blood Forest. <.<
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Finally, here's my next two units - both Raiders:

Sorry it took so long!
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote:Sorry it took so long!
Likewise! But hey, it's been summer... ;)

Here's my 3rd deployment:

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Ungors and the first Tuskgor chariot:

And the roll for the type of hill:

1 = 1
Ordinary :)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Again, I swear I posted this (an hour ago, but still...) before. Silly bug. :confused:

Anyway, small detail first: aren't even friendly units supposed to stay 1" away from each other in 8th?

And here's the 4th deployment:

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Herald wrote:Anyway, small detail first: aren't even friendly units supposed to stay 1" away from each other in 8th?
According to the BRB, units must stay 1" away "while moving". It also states that it's purely for clarity, to see where one unit begins and another one ends. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely unnecessary and making it a rule is just plain stupid (seriously, why make it a rule? Why not just let players use their common sense?). I understand why units must stay 1" away from enemy units, but applying it to friendly units as well for the sole reason of "clarity" is a new kind of stupid, even for GW.

Still, if you want me to move the Ungors over I will. I just don't see why it should be necessary...
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

I happen to agree with you on this one, I was just under the impression that this was one of the many new details we had to conform to. As it's just a playing convention, I'm totally cool with your placing. :cool: