Wandering Warfeast - 1250 for Tourney

Moderator: Council of Elders

Forest Primeval
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Asrai, Greenskins

Wandering Warfeast - 1250 for Tourney

Post by Forest Primeval »

So here's the scoop. I am going to a friendly, unique tournament in a few days (once finals are over with), and I'd like some comments/critiques on this new army list I have composed. The tournament will consist of three phases: Early Encounters (1250), Rising Tensions (1750), and Final Conflicts (2250). Each tournament army must enter a 1250 point list before the first phase begins, and the player may not alter it once the tournament commences; this first list will be the foundation of both the second and third phase lists, which means that the 1750/2250 lists must include everything from the 1250 list (though the characters are allowed to change magical equipment). As an added, fluffy bonus, my friends and I have decided to follow the progression of our army general (from Hero to Lord in the 2250 game) and create a fluffy background. After the tournament is over, we will share our fiction with one another - the "winner" will then buy the first round of drinks during the obligatory post-tourney celebration phase! ;) Without further ado, here is the list:
Herald of Loec,
Wardancer Noble @ 140
- Blades of Loec
[Characters - 11%]

12x Glade Guard @ 144
5x Glade Riders, Musician @ 129
5x Glade Riders, Musician @ 129
8x Dryads @ 96
8x Dryads @ 96
8x Dryads @ 96
[Core - 55%]

7x Wardancers @ 126
7x Wardancers @ 126
3x Warhawk Riders @ 120
[Special - 30%]

Great Eagle @ 50
[Rare - 4%]

---
Total Points: 1,252
Total Models: 65
Power/Dispel: 2/2
First things first! I know that I have committed two egregious "mistakes." As I'm sure you have noticed, the list does not include HoDA or a unit of Wild Riders. Oddly enough, I don't think I really need them. I'm fairly weak on magic defense. Alright, I'm just straight weak on it, but I'm hoping that I have enough AMD for a low-level game (against most armies, that is). I originally had a Standard Alter in the list who was going to shoot his HoDA at a dangerous unit and then go mage-hunting, but I just cannot bring myself to use two characters until I hit the 1500 point mark. Besides, I figured that the 12x GG might prove more beneficial. What do you think? I've always preferred more troops, but I can't help but think how useful the Alter would be against tough casters (and maybe monsters)! Secondly, I don't have a unit of WR. I know, it's blasphemy. But I'm really tired of using them. That's it, seriously. I'd just rather not use them, and I understand that I'm giving up a savage unit.

This is a friendly, custom tournament (around 10 people playing) that has a Composition Panel. It's a new concept our group is trying. As such, there won't be many "beardy/cheesy/etc" lists. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that some of the higher level lists won't be tough as nails, but for the most part, the 1250 list will be pretty balanced. You won't have to worry about seeing an Engine of the Gods at 1250, for example. With this in mind, where do you think this list is going to struggle? I foresee it having a problem with monsters, though there shouldn't be that many to deal with at this point level. Shooting may cause some problems (if there is enough of it), but due to a fast, mostly skirmishing force, I'm not particularly worried. Magic-heavy lists might give me a run for my money, though I'm hoping that I can use the terrain to hide, kill off the mages, or get into combat as quickly as possible.

Well lads? What say you?
Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace;
Divinely mysterious, he is inaudible.
Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.
Ramesesis wrote:And our opponents will go: "Oh, noes! Uber-duper supershootysneaky WE pwns everything, CHEESE!"
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Re: Wandering Warfeast - 1250 for Tourney

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

I think it would be more helpful if you posted the complete planned army progression so that we can see your future intentions. You have used all your specials and your rare so have only core available for 1750. Is that wise?
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Forest Primeval
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Asrai, Greenskins

Re: Wandering Warfeast - 1250 for Tourney

Post by Forest Primeval »

I'm uncertain as to how my 2250 list would look (though I can tell you it'll be lead by a WD Highborn, obviously). To answer your question; - Yes, I feel comfortable adding only Core units to make my 1750 list. As far as the next 500 points is concerned, I was planning on adding something like this:

- Spellsinger (probably a caddy?)
- 10x GG
- 10x GG
- 5x GR

I'm fine with having used all of my specials already, as I probably would have chosen the same units anyway. The rare choice presents a much harder dilemma. I'm sure that there will be plenty of heavily armored units on the board by 1750, which leads me to question whether I should drop the Glade Guard and Eagle for a small unit of Waywatchers. It sounds smart in theory, but the Eagle is just so damn versatile!

Does this help at all?
Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace;
Divinely mysterious, he is inaudible.
Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.
Ramesesis wrote:And our opponents will go: "Oh, noes! Uber-duper supershootysneaky WE pwns everything, CHEESE!"