Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Unicorn's conversions (30th Nov - 2nd WR unit painted)

Post by unicorn »

Yuri wrote:
unicorn wrote:I was thinking on horse parts. :crazy: :D
brown underlay, several medium-strength drybrushes and washes of dark colors of my choice, then final Sephia wash. In real, each horse have slightly different color, what can be (partially) seen at this picture:
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (19th Dec - Tk unit painted)

Post by unicorn »

OK... Finally (!!!) I get the time, place, Treekins and my camer together at one place, while both of my boys was at the other place at that time ;) So here are my painted Treekins, at least.
This unit turned out to be darker that I planned, though I think it is still good. Also the paint manage to "hide" some of the conversion crude parts, and (at least after priming) I think the colored models looks significantly better that the uncolored ones ;)

Anyway, enough talking, lets post!

Anyway, right now I am working on some kind of secret project. It is the reason (well, one of them - besides still overwhelming IRL issues, as it become usual for me ;) )why I do not have anything new this days. I am sorry I can not say more, but when the time comes, I will explain both what is that project about and what my reasons are :)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Unicorn's conversions (19th Nov - Tk unit painted)

Post by Herald »

Absolutely smashing, Uni! I think the colours are perfect, imagine wet, rotting timber, it's pretty dark. The balance between grey, brown and black is difficult to get right IMO, and you've hit spot on (if the camera doesn't lie, of course). :)
unicorn wrote:Anyway, right now I am working on some kind of secret project.
Cliffhanger, eh? :sexy:
MUCKSTER
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by MUCKSTER »

Ohhh very nice! What colors did you use on those Kin?
Want a sig?
Lysandyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lysandyr »

Very nice Treekin, indeed. I have a tone of dryad bits left over so I am definitely going to try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration! :nod:

//Lys
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:Cliffhanger, eh? :sexy:
Um, well... No ;)
MUCKSTER wrote:Ohhh very nice! What colors did you use on those Kin?
Eeeeer... Well, the basecoat is Linoleum Deck Brown spray from Tamia, then Badaab black wash, hand-mixed gray drybrush, white drybrush, devlan mud wash, ogryn flesh wash, Terra earth+a little of white drybrush, elf flesh very light drybrush, sepia wash. Most probably something like this ;)
When painting my trees, I just decide how I wish my result to looks like and then I am putting layer after layer until I am satifsied :) Trees are awesome for painting ;)
Lysandyr wrote:Very nice Treekin, indeed. I have a tone of dryad bits left over so I am definitely going to try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration! :nod:
Thank you, and glad you like it and you find the inspiration! And believe it or not, it is real fun to build treekins out of dryad bits like this. It is something like surrealistic sculpting with limited resources and uncertain results ;) I really enjoy it maximally :D
Painted
Finished
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

Boy are those Treekin awsome!

I totally didn't see that one coming!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Great work as always Uni. Those Treekin look fantastic now they're finished!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (25th Nov - Altar of Khaine)

Post by unicorn »

At first, thanks to all of you who commend my Treekins :) It was nice and heartening read :)

Anyway, now the time comes and I can reveal what most of my WFB work in the last weeks was. It as the Christmas gift for friend of mine, who is the dedicated Druchii lover. His armies always includes at least one, more often two Cauldrons, but he never have any appropriate model for them - so I decide to give him one of those. So, that was WHAT I was working on. And why I was not able to reveal it? Well, simple reason: He sometimes visits A.org to track this thread, so that's why :)

Now something more about the model. In fact, it is not the CoB itself, it is only "count as." The conversion was meant to represent is as the nearly-forgotten Altar of Khaine, somewhere in the wild - somewhere, where the battle can happen. The altar where some occasional sacrifices are performed. I imagine that there will also be the old magical portal leading directly into Khaines domain, as the Khaine-dedicated places are often represented as halfway-here and halfway-there.
Through the time I was working on this, I was forced to throw away the idea of "open" portal, filled with some of magical field. Without water-effect, it was not possible to do that (well, for me at least) in some suitable and good-looking way. Instead, the "new" victim appears on the altar, with the cuted throat (I know, it is not possible to see that on the pictures). And that is about to all.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Please forgive the somehow badly trimed aroud pictures. I am exhausted, the photos where taken in bad light (technical IRL issues, you know ;) ) and this is the best I am able to do it. I believe the resulting feeling is not damaged by that ;)
Painted
Finished
czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Re: Unicorn's conversions (25th Nov - Altar of Khaine)

Post by czar05 »

Looks great! Particularly the blood dripping down the sides of the alter :thumbsup:
Cyndra
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cyndra »

I thought you might of been planning something amazing. Well done :thumbsup:
Is the peasant from the giant kit? I was also wondering if it is only used for occasional sacrifices wouldn't they sacrifice something a bit more spectacular?
But if its the only thing in your bits box i understand.
Great work.

Cyndra
Those who defile our glades will feel the swift wrath of the Asrai

Wood Elves
W-1/D-0/L-4

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Cyndra wrote:I thought you might of been planning something amazing. Well done :thumbsup:
:D thanx :D
Is the peasant from the giant kit?
Nope. It is the dead urukhai from the Ent plastic kit, with left hand (and shield, and left side of the chest ;) ) amputated and replaced with wood elf GG hand and some greenstuff ;)
I was also wondering if it is only used for occasional sacrifices wouldn't they sacrifice something a bit more spectacular?
But if its the only thing in your bits box i understand.
Well, it is a little more complicated. The sacrifice is mean to be "battle sacrifice" of (brettonian) archer, who happens to get captured during the course of (still proceeded) battle.
And it was not the only thing in my bitz box, but the best one when considered difficulty of converting, resulting outcome and general idea I was looking for.

I know my "fluffs" for my conversions are somehow complicated, but I need to get the idea of what I am doing before I start the "serious" work, to be able to hold some theme and style for whole model.
Painted
Finished
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

That's a very nice present, Uni! Kind of like giving your 'good son Jason' a shiny new chainsaw, 'cause the old is all but rusted away from all the blood... :p But seriously, this is one of the pieces that make an army, or a battle, a near-art experience. And, BTW, what did you use for leaves? Leaves? (Like Oregano or smthn)
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:That's a very nice present, Uni! Kind of like giving your 'good son Jason' a shiny new chainsaw, 'cause the old is all but rusted away from all the blood... :p
:D
But seriously, this is one of the pieces that make an army, or a battle, a near-art experience.
:eek: WOW. thanks. I never think that anyone will like my work that much to say anything like this. Thanks!
And, BTW, what did you use for leaves? Leaves? (Like Oregano or smthn)
Hey! You... You! How you recognize it?
But you are wrong. It is not oregano ;) But you where close. It is a Basil :P
Painted
Finished
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

unicorn wrote:Hey! You... You! How you recognize it?
But you are wrong. It is not oregano ;) But you where close. It is a Basil :P
Tried it myself, made a veritable "pizza spice mix" for my EG. Turned out the green colours are broken down by UV radiation, leaving it hay coloured. Fortunately for me, that looks good w static grass and gravel, but I thought you ought to know.
Runidis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Runidis »

reeeeally cool models, like them all very much, but mey i suggest something...
check out these miniatures... well not the exactally the miniatures but that grassy thing used on them...
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... rija10.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... rija16.jpg

it is some kind of grass, lichen to be more exact.. i use it on my miniatures as well, i got it at a flower shop :roll:
it looks real nice, and its growing by itself, extracting moisture from the air... really cool stuff ;)
hope it will help, keep up the good work ;)
Dendrophobia-fear of the trees :D
almundis
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Tomb kings, Dark elves, daemonhunters, Wood elves.

Post by almundis »

Theoretically you could create a nice looking portal effect by getting a gel plate (the thin clear plastic sheets that are used in stage lighting, very cheap) and then use cling film and pva on each side to create a sort of veiny, wrinkled effect and place it in the middle of the altar. To enhance this you could use a thick clear glue such as UHU on the edges and ink it with a matching colour to your gel plate to create a ooze-type effect.

Otherwise very nice work, I may have to steal some of your ideas as i have always disliked the CoB model. :D

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (20th jan - 2nd Treekins painted)

Post by unicorn »

Hallo again :)

This models are painted for some time now, but at 1st it takes incredibly long before I was able to varnish them; and then it takes damn long before I was able to take their pictures. But now it is now, I have the pictures and I hope you will like them ;)

This 2nd treekin unit is somehow lighter that the 1st one - in fact this is as light as I hope the 1st one will be (who is about as dark as I originally wish to have this 2nd unit ;) ). The pictures are not the best as I have problems with light, but I hope they are good enough to show the resulting models. I must say I am very happy about the result of my original "idea" to make nicer (and cheaper) Treekins out of some spare bits I have at my hand just to test them finally and properly on the battlefield... Now I like both the models and the Treekins! :D

Anyway, here are the pictures:
Painted
Finished
Breezly
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Unicorn's conversions (20th jan - 2nd Treekins painted)

Post by Breezly »

Awesome treekin! I was trying to give some thought to how I will pull mine together and these look great! I hope I can come up with something half as good.

Really great job!

--Breezly
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

Ah, the poor guys look hungry.

You should feed them some Britonnian peasants to fatten them up.

Finding your army as inspirational as ever. Good Work with both modeling and painting.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
Lysandyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lysandyr »

Wow, another three of these bad boys. Excellent! I am definitely going to do something similar. I was rather put off by the official GW models (design and metal) and didn't fancy the Tree Kin as a unit at all, but now that I've seen these dudes I am getting really excited to start gluin' :D

//Lys
Greenspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Greenspite »

Inspirational- must have a go at something like this myself.
'When the amber skies are filled
Seems the days around are ripe for conquering
Now the joy has burned out and it's gone
But I don't know where...'
czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Post by czar05 »

I tried making some of my own treekin, its actually pretty easy thanks for the inspiration uni :)
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: Unicorn's conversions (20th Jan - 2nd Treekins painted)

Post by unicorn »

Thanks to all of you for nice responses, I am glad you like this models ;) Partially because I love them too ;)

Anyway, if anyone of you is interested in what I am actually doing, HERE you can see what I am working on right now - the mounted noble conversion made for the winter challenge. Still heavy WIP, but it is shaping up somehow nicely ;)
Painted
Finished
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: WE

Post by Fikol »

your Treekin are simply awesome!

I didn't read whole subject so if you already answered dont do that again :) but how did you do those bases? these are simply incredible!! :)
Life is but a dream...