Foxtale's Wood Elves (updated March 17th - Random)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Foxtale's Wood Elves (updated March 17th - Random)

Post by Foxtale »

Here's a few Wood Elves I painted up before. My favorite out of all this stuff is the base on the Great Eagle. Used a Space Marine Body as the armour and a spare skeleton head.
Each model in this army has been converted in some way. (except for the Lord on Foot and GR w/spear) Can you guess how?
ImageImage

And here is my army in whole. <_< Yeah, yeah, not much.
The shadows are annoying but I can't get a good light source onto them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/fox...mer/Army001.jpg
Last edited by Foxtale on 17 Mar 2007, 08:36, edited 17 times in total.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
adreal
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by adreal »

hey pretty good, shadows are a pain but meh, what are you gunna do. The centure (sp??) is a good plan, but the horse body is way to bulky for the elf part, maybe trying that with the new slim-line horses would be batter, with a touch of green stuff could come out cool. Bold idea though, so don't stop because i say it could look better, the important thing is if you like it. So yeah have fun man
Peter:'Come on Stewie, you're mom and I have something for you'
Stewie:'Let me guess. Yet another colourful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn until-ah big shock-a jack pops out. And you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside'
philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

Yes, The Elf part of the Ceinteur is just too small. Good work on the Great Eagle and the basing too.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Finally my box arrives and here be the concepts of my new army.

Spellsinger and Dryad Champion

The base for Spellsinger

Supposed to look like the roots are getting directed out of the ground to attack by her.

One question: Can you make the base 'bigger' like Dryad sized base, for characters? Is it still game legal?

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Ezkiel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ezkiel »

The eagle is beautiful! But as philleehellphia said before, the centur's humanoid upper part is too small.
Foxtale wrote:One question: Can you make the base 'bigger' like Dryad sized base, for characters? Is it still game legal?
I think no....
Member of sentinel army
Amarel
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: DE, Chaos, WE.

Post by Amarel »

Foxtale wrote:One question: Can you make the base 'bigger' like Dryad sized base, for characters? Is it still game legal?
Nope 'fraid not (as there are inate advantages and disadvantages to different base sizes).

I'm drawn to that Spellsinger - How are you planning on making the owl look comfortable on her hand? And what are you going to make the stave of? Have you thought about give the stave a flat t-bar at the top and putting the owl on there (like a perch of sorts) giving you more freedom with the other hand (currently, without the owl, it looks like she's casting which fit in well with the roots on the base)?
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

What I was planning on doing was to thicken up the stave a bit, maybe with greenstuff. Then mount a sphere on top, so I can get WYSIWYG for both Deepwood Sphere and Callaingor's Stave. The other hand I was going to immerse in hot water then bend the fingers into a fist, thus giving the eagle somewhere stable to sit on. Also, I'm greenstuffing the cloak to look more like the spellsinger's dress.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Lord Voldemorten
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Lord Voldemorten »

very cool. I love the dark theme, the singer conversion is quite good, and the eagle base looks good. Like the others said, I too find the elf too small for his horse body, but it's a good idea.
~Lord Voldemorten
Damnation
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Damnation »

The Centaur indeed looks a little odd. I'm actually in the process of making Centaurs too, they will be used as Wild Riders. Here's the first model:

True, there isn't much you can make of a Centigor torso that isn't feral; as their left arm is almost always adjoined with the horse part's back, it's very difficult to make anything out of it, let alone have it carry a bow. The horse part of the Centigor is slightly smaller than a regular horse though.

Another reason for the disharmony of your model is that some of the 5th edition WE models are smaller and more slender when compared to 6th edition models.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Yeah, the top images are ones I painted a while ago. I wanted to do a completely mounted army. But now the new GG and Dryads just won me over.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Dooppie
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Dooppie »

@ Foxtale the wizzard and dryad looks nice.
The wizzard owl is looks bit strange.
Hope
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hope »

Very good idea!
They're like the night elves of WC ^_^
Io ci provo a scrivere in inglese, anche se sono una mezza scarpa marcia :D
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Bump:
Painted first dryad to test out colour scheme. What do you think of the scheme?

So here's my scheme:
I'm using a spring or summer colour scheme. However, my army theme is based around the two characters Tanyth and Tari being exiled from the Court of the King because they are lovers in two different kindreds. Soapy I know.
So they leave to a swampy part of Athel Loren, near the Bridge of Birds (check the army book for pictures. It's the one along the river.) So my Dryads are going to have lots of moss and lichen, my other elves will have a blue tinge to their green, and they will have greys also. I'll convert my next unit of Dryads to be Nyads, and just count them as Dryads. So that means less sticky parts and more flowing lines. Each unit has an associated colour, which corresponds to the local will-o-wisps.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

looks good, just once question.. what are nyads? i like how the "feet" of the dryad are green and muddy like
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Chaos, Orcs

Post by Johannes| »

Yes.
You are allowed to have bigger bases.
You're not allowed to have smaller bases tho...
^_^

good 'ol times in portent :P :lol:
Also known as Kul... once..
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

warmaster wrote:looks good, just once question.. what are nyads? i like how the "feet" of the dryad are green and muddy like
Nyads are water spirits, just like Dryads are tree spirits. So to convert them, I'll just leave lots of spikey bits off the models.

And as for the bases, I've decided to leave it normal size. I don't want too many people getting into combat with my mage after all.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Tari Arcamenel

Post by Foxtale »

Stuck my lord, Tari Arcamenel, together with blutack. What do you think of the concept?

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Amarel
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: DE, Chaos, WE.

Post by Amarel »

Your Mounted Lord looks good, the one comment I'd have is that either the either the wind is way too strong or the bow is way too light ^_^ - it looks a little odd how far a seemingly weighted cloak has blown back from the body. I'd either bring the cloak back a little or move the bow (if you were to tether it to the horse it would make the model as a whole feel like more of a unit as opposed to two seperate entities).
Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: None. But hopefully soon: Tomb Kings / Necron.

Post by Upyr »

I like the look of the models, but onward to my main point:

I just read Guardians of the Forest and it made me remember the Naiad Court, home of the water spirits. I already had a Mounted Daemonette at home, for purposes of conversion (which never got underway) so my thoughts went straight to it.

The waterspirits would as you say look much less like dryads, at least IMO. I think daemonettes would be really cool models for them! I wouldnt use dryad rules for them even, but thats another story.

What im going on about is the Wild Riders, I think the mounted daemonette would work very well as a mounted waterspirit. Her mount being a water & land living creature. I think the mount really looks like a Seahorse (the actual animal) to!

Maybe explaining how they joined the force would be a hassle, but I think not. They should be able to live in ponds and lakes around Athel Loren just as well as in the Naiad Court, so they could join them like any dryads would.

Edit: The above is not all rant, its meant as an idea for your centaur unit. Who wouldnt be centaurs anymore, but at least WR representatives.
Last edited by Upyr on 14 Nov 2005, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no shame in defeat as long as the spirit remains unconquered"
/Praetor Fenix

Dogs of War forum, come join us!
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Inquisition_De_Cobre
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

whats your mounted lord equipped with out of curiosity?
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

Wonderful Job with the scheme of the Dryad, although some of the Bleached Bone parts look patchy. Good converting with the Lord!
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Wow, so many comments. Thank you all.

@Amarel - thank you very much for that idea! I didn't even notice the cloak, but it's a very good idea. It would make the model flow. As for the bow, there really isn't that much room to attach it to. I'll try it on the horse, but I think it still might work better on the cloak.

@Upyr - I'm sorry, but I really despise the daemonette models. So I hope you forgive me saying that I will never use them. Still, the Nyads are a long time off for now, so I won't be needing to think about them for a while. And my Wild Riders are going to be converted Glade Riders. Nothing more. Though your ideas are quite good, I'd love it if you kept suggesting them. Thankyou.

@warmaster - Great Weapon, HoDA, Helm of the Hunt, Shield and Light Armour. The shield I might hang down by his feet or something. Also, I've modelled his great weapon so that I could use it as Daith's Reaper once I get the points up. I really like the idea of charging a unit with him, challenging the champion, or not, then kicking ass with his many rerollable hits.

@phillee - Thanks about the conversions. But what do you mean by blotchy paint? I've heard this from a number of people, but maybe because it's my model, I can't see it myself. Where is it blotchy?

Again, thanks for the comments. Much much appreciated.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
adreal
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by adreal »

Your lord looks pretty freakin cool, using the spare glade riders from the army deal is a good idea to convert glamourweaves and mounted characters.

I you go back and re-do your centaur as a alter kindred elf, using the new horses and spare parts from the glade guard and dryad sprues would look pretty darn cool.
Peter:'Come on Stewie, you're mom and I have something for you'
Stewie:'Let me guess. Yet another colourful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn until-ah big shock-a jack pops out. And you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside'
Kiyohira
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos, WE, DE, VC // Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Isengard

Post by Kiyohira »

Tree scythe! I just LOVE that weapon your lord has. ^_^

Looking forward to more pics...
The texture of time is a whisper
That echoes across the flood
Its hymn resonates from tree to tree
Through every sullen bough it sings
Karacis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Karacis »

Hi,

Great conversions! Like you spellsinger (the maskless head is better than the one i used. And your mounted lord has given me some inspiration to make one myself.