My wood elf army.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf

My wood elf army.

Post by dmbard »

Hey there I started a web page with my photos of my army on it. Check it out and let me know what you think.
web.me.com/dmbard

Thanks

Dean
Attachments
100_0073.JPG
Last edited by dmbard on 01 Mar 2009, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: My wood elf army.

Post by dmbard »

Is it that bad that no one will say anything about it???????
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

Nah they look rather good :) I think you should shade the singer however. The skin looks very flat. A wash could make her look much better :)
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Inthildir
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Inthildir »

Hey!
I really like what you have here.
There's a Treekin with his base finished.
Do the rest like that!
Those Dryads are looking sharp and I like the Great Eagle--doesn't that model rule?
Where's the Treeman? I missed him.
Try some of the layering I mentioned on the PM for the flesh tones on your sweet looking Spellweaver.
I like the green branches in her blue-tinted hair.
Clean some of the white/gray on the base of your woods with some darker green and more static grass.
Also, I recommend taking one of your white-primed models and painting it in black--preferably the new Foundation black. This stuff has so much pigment, it's massive.
Check out dry-brushing on a dryad or treekin to see what happens when you "dust" a lighter color over the black. Can be a cool way to blaze through a load of Forest Spirits for that next big battle!
Keep up the good work.
I'm looking forward to more pics--especially of you know who... :wink:
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dmbard »

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/dmbard/

Updated photos. I got a few more things painted and worked to get some better photos to put up here. Please give feedback i would really like to know what people think.

thanks

Dean
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

Pretty impressive stuff dmbard!
I quite like your Treekin, they look awesome.
I think you can start making your bases complete and more cohesive (including finishing the sides with black or brown). It really can make or break an army.
Your painting is very clean and crisp, which is a very good thing, but the colours are rather flat. I think you should give highlighting a go. Just remember to thin your paints, take your time and try your hardest. The more you do it, the better you'll get, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't come out as you want it to the first time. Just learn from it and try again.

Great stuff already, but I know that your next stuff will be even better :nod:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Update: My wood elf army.

Post by dmbard »

I have a few more things painted and started here is the link http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/dmbard/
I have started a Tree Kin Elder you can see in the photo. I have started painting the Forest Dragon and need to finish it up. I have been working on Glade G but I have 40 of them so it is taking a long time to get done. I primed war dancers, Enternal G and Way Watchers And I sprayed them the main colors that are on them. My photo of the wind rider is one I have worked on I think I need to work on the feathers of the bird a little more.
Let me know what you guys think. Looking to hear anything you guys have to say.
Thanks again

Dean
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dmbard »

Some updated photos Check them out let me know what you think and what I could do better, Always trying to improve. Working hard to get everything painted have 19 GG finish only 21 more to go. Still have WD GR WR EG to do.

Any way check it out

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/dmbard/
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

On the whole, I think everything looks really good. One thing I would advise with the Glade Guard is to use some more highlights on the cloak; with such a large area of colour it really pays off to add some depth.

What are you planning on doing with the bases of your models?
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dmbard »

I will work on the highlighting which is my weakness, For the bases I am not sure yet what I am going to do. I really want to make them look cool but I have not really come up with a good Idea or been able to find the stuff that I want to use on them. I am working on some other things right now so I will see how many more GG I get done. Thanks for your comments and I will post more pics soon.

Dean
Inthildir
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Inthildir »

Wow! You've been busy.
I've been missing in action for a while so I've missed your updates.
I went through the Photobucket and found some really nice models in there.
Good work on the Spellweaver with the Dryad bits on his back. That's a cool idea and looks great.
I really like that eagle and rider. Is that the Lord of the Rings model for Gwahir?
Where did you get that rider, I don't recognize him. Looks good.
I see you did the Lord with great sword. He turned out great. I wish the lighting was a little sharper on him, it seems we've lost some detail.
I'm really liking how the Foundation Paints are working on the white primer. Those Glade Guard look really good and I like how you varied the greens and browns, simple, yet very effective.
Well, I'm very impressed!
Oh yeah, and Orion is looking sweet. I'm looking forward to those Eternal Guard....
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Basing, basing, basing. A little sand, a few earthy tones and a few patches of grass will do wonders for your models.

It is the cheapest trick in the book and will take a mediocre model to WOW!-heights, while unbased models will usually look half finished despite a good paint job.

Trust me on this, when I did 40K (a few millenia back), I couldn't be bothered to do bases, but I wowed to take the hobby aspect a little more seriously, when I got into fantasy – and the difference is remarkable.

Otherwise just keep up the good work and have fun :)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dmbard »

Thanks for all the comments I am going to start working on the bases. Some of them I have started on but I don't think they look so good so I have not finished the others. I am going to work on them because I know they would look a lot better. I am going to paint them green and the edges green also.
Macknight
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bret, DE, DOW, VC, WE

Post by Macknight »

dmbard wrote:Is it that bad that no one will say anything about it???????
not that its that bad, but the army is mostly WIP, so i will reserve my comment for later, i agree with some of the comment already mentioned about the spellsinger's skin tone, also their eyes needs work, if you don't know how, here is a eye tutorial:

eye-paint the eye white, when dry use a thin brush and paint the edges of the eye black and the pupil black/blue/red etc, add eye brows the same color as hair and the face will pop out, also at the end use a light wash of flesh wash over the face.

i really like the conversion of your spellsinger(male with dryad parts coming out its back like our book cover) and the gamezone wind riders, i highly suggest you paint one unit to a finishing stage of your painting skill level before working on the next, good luck and i look forward to your progress. :ninja:
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dmbard »

I have made a web site for my army so check it out and let me know what you have to say about my WE. I have been taking pics of them as I finish them. I played my first battle on Friday and I won. It was cool.

Check it out
web.me.com/dmbard

Dean