Dryad Movement Tray/disk.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Pascal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Dryad Movement Tray/disk.

Post by Pascal »

About what diameter should my movent tray/disk be for a unit of 8 dryads?
:question:
Thanks,
-Pascal
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Dryad Movement Tray/disk.

Post by Joelatron »

I guess its up to you since measurements are taken from the base of the models, not the trays. One must bear in mind the placement restrictions of skirmishing models (re: how far apart they can be), but other than that I guess its up to you and your imagination.
Personally I dont use the movement trays for skirmishers, cos it means I cant as easily take advantage of skirmish positioning rules to screen units, draw charges from frenzied units etc, but i guess they do make movement soooooo much easier.
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

i personally don't like movement trays/discs for skirmishing units, makes them too rigid and i prefure to be able to easily change their formation up a bit
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Bad Beast wrote:i personally don't like movement trays/discs for skirmishing units, makes them too rigid and i prefure to be able to easily change their formation up a bit

Agreed. And how hard can it be to move 8 models?
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

they are skirmishers, just move them by hand. and use them to screen your more fragile units ;)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Thanathos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Tau

Post by Thanathos »

I think that movement trays for skirmishers aren't necesary at all, but display trays sure can help you get more pts. in painting and modeling in a tourney.

Thanathos
Kragg the Dragon Lord on druchii.net
Wyvern Lord on da-warpath.com
Tal'Rasha on khemri.co.uk

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rattler
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves; Space Orks

Post by Rattler »

I have to agree with everyone here. I've never really heard of anyone ever using movement trays for skirmishing units.
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

Rattler wrote:I have to agree with everyone here. I've never really heard of anyone ever using movement trays for skirmishing units.
i have, though mostly for beast herds, still even with units of 20 skirmishers, i don't like the idea of movement trays for them, they end up doing more harm then good
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Pascal wrote:About what diameter should my movent tray/disk be for a unit of 8 dryads?
:question:
Thanks,
-Pascal
This depends a lot on how you want to use your skirmishers. I think it would be better to keep them in a tight formation, so that the tray can fit in tight places.

As others have mentioned though, there are some drawbacks to movement trays. I find I like to be VERY specific with the placement of each and every skirmisher in a unit, and the movement tray or disk restricts that.
bely
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnians, Wood Elves

Post by bely »

Keeping your models together can be handy when you need to charge. If one skirmisher is in range, you'll probably lose that fight!

I use movement trays for my skirmishers almost specifically to keep the game moving. It doesn't take long to move 8 dryads individually, but moving 24 dryads, 18 wardancers, 4 characters, and a treeman takes a little time. Once my skirmishers charge, though, i remove the trays as they have to line up anyway. i can always put them back on if i need to.
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Dryads are made of plastic, so the paint never chips. When moving dryads, I usually measure the front one and the back one, then grab the rest and just drop them in between. Quick and easy.

~ Nag
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

The only time I'd ever consider this is as a display piece for when painting is judged at a tourney. But my chaos won't get skirmishers so it'll just have to be the general, what a shame :D

You need the flexibilty really, you might want them close together so they'll all be in for that charge or further apart to avoid that template or out in a line for screening, I tend to deploy mine loosely in 4 and 4 or 5 and 3 when there's no specific purpose.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
JRGumby
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves
Location: Hiding in your cupboard, hoarding your condiments. -6 GMT

Post by JRGumby »

I fully intend to make a display tray for my dryads, as the rest of my army will be on magnetized movement trays (primarily for ease of transport). Since I don't intend to use it for anything else, it will be small: likely 4-6" diameter.
The only teacher is the enemy.
-Mazer Rackham
Ender Shadowkin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ender Shadowkin »

I have made one Dryad Movement tray:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/En ... ryads1.jpg

It is about magnitized 6"x4" and is big enough for around 10 skirmashing dryads.

I have found the tray to be very useful during deploykment, but invariable abondon it by turn 3 or so. Ihad intendend to make a couple more, but it has been de-prioritized.

It is very nice to have them setup on the tray and plunk them down wherer I want as a deployment drop though, and the time savings does add up so I will eventually make a couple more. Having a magnetized setup is key though.

One problem is that normal magnetized treys fit very efficintly together in my box/carry so I always leave the models in their tray. But the skirmash trey takes up too much valuable space so the dryads tend to get wranked up on a rectangular tray for transport and storage.