Here's how to play WFB online. Wanna try?

Play all your WFO battles in here!

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Here's how to play WFB online. Wanna try?

Post by unicorn »

Thanks to Fantasyfreak, I run into this topic on Ogre Stronghold, which I love maximally; and I got an idea we can try to start to play such games here on Asrai as well. What do you think?

AMA here. I'm splitting this topic into two parts. One, which will be stickied for pure information, rules, and terrain templates, and another for comments.

How to play

1. Deployment

So you have a list of your chosen army and have the templates:

Now you must open a paint document. Copy and Paste this template picture into the document.

Open another document and leave it blank for a moment. Back on your other document use the "Select" tool to select the unit type you want. When you have the right number of the correct models, Copy and Paste this section into the blank document. Do this multiple times until your army is on the blank document (select single or other numbers of the right base size for units of different numbers). Once you have a document with your army on it, feel free to fill in the units with colours of your choice. Once you have finished, save the final coloured document onto your computer as a Bitmap or PNG. Do not use JPG format, as the compression will decrease quality of your map and units again each time you will save your map, and quickly you will not be able to recognize where your units are facing etc. ...

Now you have a document with your army templates on it you may want to get this onto the net to show your opponent. I would suggest www.photobucket.com to upload your images. Some others may use other techniques.

Firstly you must create an account and as you have an account on this website I'm assuming you know how to do that ;) . Once you have one that it clearly tells you how to upload. Browse through your saved files to find the army document and then upload it into your album. Once it is uploaded it is simple. You will see the image appear with some options beneath. If you click on the IMG code one then it will automatically set this as copied. Then all you have to do is paste it into your battle thread and you have uploaded a picture.

Anyway, most of you will know how to do that and will really want to know what you do in Paint. When deploying units, you will need two Paint documents open at the same time. One will be blank and the other will be the "Army" document you created earlier. In the blank one, Copy and Paste the map for the battle. Next, transfer the units (using "Select" and Copy/Cut and Paste) onto the battlefield. Move the unit around to where you want it to go and when you're happy, click off it. If you have some tidying up to do then this is simple. Use the "Pick Colour" tool so you have the correct colour and just fill in the area that needs tidying. If you need to click zoom into "Large Size" and use the Paint Brush for more precise tidying. Once you have finished, save the document onto your computer (as a Bitmap or PNG) and to save space, you may as well overright it every time.

Once you have deployed your units you will need to move onto the next stage- Movement.

2. Movement

Movement is very simple. Use the "Select" tool again and select the unit in question. Move them fowards, backwards or anywhere you want (I will explain rotation next). Once you have finished you will need to do the tidying up that was explained last paragraph. If you want to, you may draw a line to show you're opponent where you have moved, but this is not cumpolsury.

Rotation will require a Photoshop of some variety. If you do as much as you can before and then Copy and Paste the Paint image of your Movement phase into a blank Photoshop document. All of these programmes have a Select and Rotate tool and therefore that should make it easier to understand. Once you have finished, select the image and Copy and Paste the document back into Paint, doing any lining up you need to do. From here, upload it as a normal Paint document.

3. Dice Rolling

This could be argued to come first but as long as you have read it then you should survive .

There are two different dice rollers:

http://dicelog.com/dice - I think the best choice, and results are not only (cool) pictures, but also numbers (look above pictures)
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm - seems to be most stable one; but looks like this one rolls really under-average results

I will recomand you to keep with the Hamete dice roller (the first one). It is fast and stable, and if you wish you can create dice log there and witness your opponents rolls to forego any doubts about his rolling.

When using Hamete, Copy and Paste the roll into the battle thread. It is useful for your opponent (and yourself) if you quote this. It makes it all the easier to read. It is a good idea to put in the header of quote the "name" of the roll. For example:
break test on Ld 7 wrote:Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

2 + 4 = 6
However you roll, if you are rolling for wounds it is always useful for your opponent if you put the amount of wounds (and armour save reduction) in bold type. For example:

3 Wounds at -1 on your Ironguts

So the result will look for example like this:
Here is my initiative roll wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6 +1" :

6 + 1 = 7
Now, maybe you imagine how to roll a scatter dice and artilerry dice. Here is how to do it:

Artilery dice
This one is easy. As you most probably know, this dice have number os 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 and "misfire". In order to represent this. Roll usual D6 and double the result; and count 6 as misfire. That means, if you roll for example 3, it i s6 in fact. If you roll 5, count is as 10. etc.

Scatter dice
This one is harder. You know for sure that this dice have 2 "hit" sides, while other 4 are covered by pointers. To represent this, roll 1D18 as scatter dice. On roll 1-12, imagine each number is a number on your watches and scatter in appropriate direction (or, more simply, use following template to determinate your scatter direction). The numbers of 13-18 representing the "hit" roll.
Scatter template

Now here are all the templates you will need to play:
ImageImage

On the battlefield, add as much or as little terrain as you want by playing around with the tools. Or take a look at some already played game maps for inspiration and examples:

map 1 map 2
map 3 map 4
map 5 map 6
map 7 map 8

Examples of final armies "templates"
Army 1 Army 2
Army 3 Army 4
Army 5 Army 6 - WElves ;)
Things to remember:
scale: 1" = 10 pixels
dices: you need to hope for honesty, as each player generates and posts his rolls on his own. Or, maybe better, you can registrate (for free) on Hamete, create a dice log for both you and your opponent and, as every roll can be described BEFORE rolling the dices, you can be sure that your incredible luck will never by mistaken for cheating by anyone ;)
armies: before the battle, post your whole armie, including all hidden items. Only if both you and your opponents agrees, do not post your "hidden" items and let yourself to be surprised.
comments: feel free to comment any of your actions or any of other peoples battle; but this only as long as you are not interfering with it's course or/and as long as you are not giving any advices you are not asked for
Last edited by unicorn on 09 Sep 2008, 11:24, edited 8 times in total.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
t12161991
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Imperial Guard, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Tyranids, Empire (eventually)

Re: Here's how to play WFB online. Wanna try?

Post by t12161991 »

hey all WFO players, I found this on W-E and it is really useful... can't really use it for on going battles but for future ones... It is a battle report program, all base sizes, lots of different terrain, templates, etc.
Attachments
battlereport.zip.zip
(79.03 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
t12161991
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Imperial Guard, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Tyranids, Empire (eventually)

Post by t12161991 »

Because I had some spare time, I made some 40k templates to use. I only know the dimensions of imperial vehicle chassis, so if someone else wants to do alien vehicles and the standalone walkers (afaik just soulgrinders and defilers), you are welcome to. The bases are labeled. Dreadnoughts go on 50mm bases.
Attachments
40kunits.png
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
Murgel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Murgel »

You guys should check this thing out if you haven't already: http://lwhfb.lorenzonuvoletta.com/

It's basically a flash environment for playing warhammer. I haven't played a full game myself, since it costs $7.50 to register, but if you're short of opponents, and maybe get a skype conversation going at the same time it could probably be lots of fun. :)

You can test it out a bit for free if you type in Test as username and password and pick the "play alone" option.
Grish
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Grish »

Your template is incorrect; the 20mm figure is 8 pixels, but 5 together on your template is 36 pixels. Should be 40; its overlapping.
Zefiris
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Eldar, Kroot, Space Wolves

Post by Zefiris »

is there any other way to play? (free i mean, and that flash one kinda looks like it has money problems)

Like a more user friendly program that we dont have to worry about
Rattler
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves; Space Orks

Post by Rattler »

Well, Vassal is a free program that allows you to play any number of tabletop games online (or through email logs and stuff). You just get the Warhammer mod and you're good to go. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "user friendly" though--it is, however, a pretty awesome program once you learn to use it.
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

Cyberboard is actually pretty good for playing online actually. You do turn by your place and send a move file by e-mail.

Here's some more information (for mordheim, but might useful. The manual ain't very good and it's a bit tricky to learn, but when you have it's very easy to use.
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
Moonblade
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, O&G, Ogre Kingdoms, Dark Elves

Post by Moonblade »

I've made some uppdates to the template to make it more user friendly and have included some more options on unit sizes and some new warmachines for quicker army-making :D.
I've also included some lines on the bases to make them easier to paint.

They're made so their actually as big as they're supposed to be, with no overlapping baselines :).

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I have edited the original post to include Moonblade's templates rather than Unicorn's, which were too small.

From now on, can people make an effort to use these templates in their WFO games rather than the previous ones. It will be much easier for everyone if all WFOers are using the same standardised templates, and these are the correct ones.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Caledrith
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: High Elves, Empire, Wood Elves

Post by Caledrith »

What application should a MAC use instead of paint?
GO BYU!!! GO the men in White and Blue!!!
We are better then the rest, we are the very best!
We are Number 7! Watching us is football heaven!
Ra, Ra, rarara, GOOOOO COUGARS!!!!!!!!

ImageImage
Yay, more dragon eggs!!!
t12161991
Campaign Team

Post by t12161991 »

GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

I may work up the energy to post turning and divot repair tutorials before school (with handy screenshots!).
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

The chariot models in the template is the wrong size (only 1,9*3,7").

Here's a chariot with the correct size:
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
Sturen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sturen »

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread but Rattler, does the warhammer mod still exist. I couldn't see it anywhere and it seems vassal is the only program other than GIMP that will work on my mac :)
I've learnt so much from my mistakes...

I'm thinking of making a few more!
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

In case you find measuring wheels a bit inaccurate and clumsy, here you have a 'Wheeling Calculator'. Enter size of bases, number of troopers in a rank, and the angle of the wheel, and this sheet will calculate how far the unit has moved. Or the other way around...
Wheel calculator.xls
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 444 times