What instrument do you play?

Anything not at all related to Warhammer goes here. That includes all humor not fitting for the other forums.
Posts in Off Topic do not increase your post count.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Schmeag
Out of Order

What instrument do you play?

Post by Schmeag »

I have varying experience in a variety of instruments. I played the keyboard for one year when I was three. I played the recorder for one year when I was six. I played the violin for one year when I was seven. Like I said, I have vary experience in a variety of instruments. :roll:

I played the piano for six years and achieved a Grade 6 AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board) standard before deciding that if I continued, I'd drop to a Below Satisfactory grade in my next piano exam. I got bored with playing music that I'd never heard of.

I stopped studying for Theory soon after, and stopped at Grade 3 AMEB. I was much better at it though, because I was sixteen years old and most of the kids in the examination room weren't even in senior high school.

I started playing the electric guitar last December, having bought myself a Paul Reed Smith Student Edition Electric Guitar. I've lost a countless number of picks since then. I have to keep on buying pack after pack of picks. My current pack has fluoro-orange picks, so I thought they'd be harder to lose. I couldn't have been any more wrong. I'm halfway through it already. I'm thinking of getting glow-in-the-dark picks next.

I have a basic MG10CD Marshall amp. I don't perform yet, so I find it completely sufficient. My parents find it loud enough, and my neighbours are probably too polite to scream abuse over the fence. I didn't take it with me when I went holidaying to China, but I did take my guitar along with me. My fingerwork has improved drastically over the past few months, and I've moved from improvising simple tunes whilst listening to songs to strumming chords to trying to learn tabs with guitar leads. It's satisfying to know that even though your fingers ache, you're getting noticeable results. Hearing your favourite rock band's signature song blaring back at you is also rather enjoyable. It's far more enjoyable than playing some obscure Minuet or Sonata.

I also like to sing. Playing the guitar helps reduce the the pain others experience when listening to my vocals. At the moment, I can play all guitar parts of Swing Swing by the All-American Rejects, Chasing Cars and Run by Snow Patrol and (not quite as fluently) Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. I learnt the opening riff to Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple and I learnt the early sections of Elvenpath by Nightwish but I didn't think to continue learning them (though I'd probably be capable of it now). I've learnt a few non-standard versions (ie chords and less fingerwork) of playing songs, but I haven't played them in a while. Some of them include Yellow and Talk by Coldplay and a few Avril Lavigne songs.

I've moved onto Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. I love the opening riff, which I've learnt already. I've gotten up to the part where the Slash's guitar lead solo starts and I'm probably going to stop there until I figure out how to get my fingers around all the complex moves. Until then, I'll probably continue learning some more Snow Patrol songs. They're so easy to learn, but they sound alright.

I want to learn the guitar lead part in Nemo by Nightwish, but it looks too complicated for me at the moment. I also want to learn Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, but I think I need to get my head around my current predicament with Sweet Child O' Mine. I also wish I could sing as high as Axl Rose. And execute those random dance moves he makes when he sings.

Ramble over. Bed.
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Re: What instrument do you play?

Post by Sethayla »

I played piano for 4 years while I was younger, and, as I later found out, piano is a great first instrument.

A couple years after I stopped taking piano, I began trumpet and remain an above-average player (according to the parts I am given to play) for my grade.

I also sing.

I am now teaching myself to play guitar.

-Seth
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Cool, let's form an online band. What type of guitar, when did you start, and what stuff do you play?

Now I'm definitely off to bed.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Schmeag wrote: I played the piano for six years and achieved a Grade 6 AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board) standard before deciding that if I continued, I'd drop to a Below Satisfactory grade in my next piano exam. I got bored with playing music that I'd never heard of.

This was my reason for stopping piano as well. I played from when I was 6 until I was about 12 or 13. I got to Grade 5 and then decided I was fed up of it. I've started playing again now, after a 6 year gap and I'm enjoying it far more than I did, probably because I can now play what I want and what I like :)

I also play guitar, bass guitar and have recently begun learning the banjo. :D I've played guitar and bass for about 6 years but refuse to do any exams. I play pretty much anything, but my best showpiece by far is Stairway To Heaven. :D I love the reaction when people realise what I'm playing :p

I've also been singing for most of my life (and I don't mean in the shower). I was in school choir for 5 years, and regularly performed in High School shows, productions etc. as well as in the musicals we did. I was the singer and lead guitarist in a band for 5 years, although I left when I came to Uni.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

I've never played in a band (well, officially ;)) and never took lessons, but people have said that I'm a decent drummer. I know I got a good sense for rythm and speed, and a decent enough coordination skill. In school, I always got to play drums, and have done a few in-school performances.

Other than that, I prefer listening to others who can play much MUCH better than I can :D

~ Nag
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

I've been playing alto saxophone since I was 12, and two years ago I bought a bass guitar. I have never taken any bass lessons though, and propably won't take, but it's a nice instrument and easy to learn, if you have some other instrument as the "main" instrument. I also took acoustic guitar lessons when I was seven, but got bored fast and quit after one year. I also play the piano every once in a while, and the recorder, and some other simple instruments that I don't know how to say in english.

I've been singing in school choir (the 2nd bass...brraaaaaa :D) and taken part of musicals and stuff like that in school, but haven't been performing much anywhere else. I play in a orchestra of wind instruments though, and we perform a couple of times in a year.

I took many music theory lessons a couple of years ago, but now I think I have completed the basic ones. So in theory I'm a proffessional musician :D Just if I remebered even something I was teached...
Last edited by Tuhis on 19 Mar 2008, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I play a mean air guitar, and that's about it.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Loki
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Eldar, Space Wolves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven

Post by Loki »

I played trumpet for 9 years, but once I finished high school, I donated it to the school, as I didn't want to play anymore. I also play acoustic guitar. I'm not good at playing popular music, I can't pick out solos and I don't know power chords, but I know most of the real chords, which I think sound much better than power chords. I have an Ibanez PF acoustic guitar with electronic pickups.
The key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
Look to the Cookie!
Guardian
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Guardian »

Hyarion wrote:I play a mean air guitar, and that's about it.
Same here :smirk:
Migraine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Migraine »

I've made some music back in the days (and with "some music", I think we recorded 4 songs or something), but I know nothing of actually playing instruments, being an electronic-man.

Besides random plunking on the synths/midi keyboards in Ableton I know Tetris theme and Darth Vaders march on piano :paranoid:

Besides the synthesizers I own a Theremin (Image) which I play with (notice the play -with-, not play :() occasionally. Sadly enough, it's not been very occasionally at all lately, due to Uni and such but... Standing half naked in a completly dark room playing a theremin a stormy night is an experience I recommend! :smoke:
Tane mahuta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Adjutent to my 10 yr old wood elf general, a morbid fascination for Skaven.

Post by Tane mahuta »

Guardian wrote:
Hyarion wrote:I play a mean air guitar, and that's about it.
Same here :smirk:
I prefer the tennis racquet; adds a bit of physical presence.

Does Guitar Hero count?

As with Schmeag: recorder, and violin when a kid. A tad of piano: grumpy old lady, had to go in the morning before school, made me late for school on the days we had lessons - lasted less than a year. Trumpet, but I was hopeless (couldn't blow the raspberry for more than about 2 seconds). Self taught harmonica, but the only tune I managed to perform half way decent was the American National Anthem, don't ask me why, or how.

My best instrument (and the one I enjoyed playing the most) was violin, dunno why I gave it up: young and stupid most likely. Kids shouldn't be allowed to make those sorts of decisions. My wife was forced to keep on with her instruments, she hated being forced at the time, but now is grateful to her parents for being so insistent. She teaches / has taught piano, flute, singing, recorder and guitar. Now I wish I could do all those things (well perhaps not recorder) half as well as her. My parents just said: you'll regret it if you give up; I didn't believe them at the time of course. Don't you hate it when your parents are right?
People are entitled to have their own opinions, but they are not entitled to have their own facts!
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Post by Sethayla »

Schmeag wrote:Cool, let's form an online band. What type of guitar, when did you start, and what stuff do you play?

Now I'm definitely off to bed.

Eh, I am teaching myself to play guitar, in my spare time (which there isn't much of) and i've only had the guitar for about 2 months so I just play chords... and know all the notes (easy to figure out, each fret = half step).

As for singing, I sing in the select group for my school and in a district select group. I also have done some musical work and do acting as well (singing and acting are kind of a package deal) YEA tenors!

And for playing trumpet, I play in the school Jazz band 1 (the 'better' one :D :lol: ) and the wind ensemble group (which is better than concert band, though not very difficult to get into), and also play for the school orchestra for the performances.

Once I learn to play guitar (which will take a while), I hope to make a band with some friends and be a vocalist and back up guitar player.

I love music, but, of course, soccer (or football) is my thing.

-Seth
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Does Guitar Hero count?
I get owned on Guitar Hero. I can't even do well on Sweet Child O' Mine.
Trumpet, but I was hopeless
Oh yeah, I played that for one week when I was thirteen.
Once I learn to play guitar (which will take a while), I hope to make a band with some friends and be a vocalist and back up guitar player.
Yeah, I'm currently looking at forming a band in my degree's year level. Most of them can play the guitar (one of them is a good singer), but the bass guitarists and the drummers are nowhere to be found. If I'm unable to, I'll find other ways. For example, I checked out a Christian club at university today. Even though I'm not even religious, I know that Christian youths around the area seem to love bands and music, so I have a better chance of recruiting there.
tenors
Yay. I was a tenor at school, and I joined the Choral Society group too. I auditioned for a play as well, but I don't think I'll get in as it's really competitive.
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

I've been playing the flute for about 5-6 years now (so, since i was 9 or so) , and acoustic guitar for 3-4. But because of my rather sporadic means of practising, i probably cant boast much about what i'm capable of.

Though.... :D

In my school we have 2 "performance" bands, Junior Band (consisting of Gr 9-10) and Senior Band (Gr 11+). I'm in both.

However well I may seem to be able to play, I'm a bit of a guitar player when it comes to theory :p (inside joke) Having no music teacher from grade 6-8, my theory skills are...lacking...to say the least.

Currently on the guitar, i'm learning Do You Remember by Jack Johnson, Crazy on You (yes, particularly the intro) by Heart, and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

It's nice to see that a lot of the members have musical talents!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
willowdark
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by willowdark »

I played the guitar for about ten years, but in truth, its been about two since I picked it up. I played in a really good heavy metal band for a few years after Highschool with two singers, two guitars and a killer drummer, with a nice mix of ambient keyboards. We recorded a few songs and played a few shows. It was truely incredible when kids would come up to us and say that they had seen us before and had came to the show that night because they had heard we were there and that we rocked. We even won a battle of the bands... It was glorious. But life has stepped in and we have all gone our seperate ways. It happens.

I also sang in my school's Madrigal choir all through Highschool. I'm pretty much convinced that if I ever join a band again, it will be as a singer.

Oh! and I played the saxophone for two years when I was 7 and 8. When my intsrument broke, my parents were more than willing to let me give it up.
In the Winter
The long and hallow eaves of the Willow
Dance like the shadows of Loec.

"The Earth's waters are mirroring the stream of consciousness. The dead are being reborn as flowers,
Smiling through the battlefield." (Serj Tankian, 2008)
JohnnyAngel77
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Ogre Kingdoms & Wood Elves

Post by JohnnyAngel77 »

I have played guitar since my 16th birthday (and ill be 28 on the 14th of march), bass since my 17th, and drums since I was about 19. Self taught on all. Not that I'm super at any of them, I can defiantly get by in a band.

I was in a bunch of punk rock bands in high school. When I turned 18, I met some guys (1 of which are still my closest friend in the world and my warhammer buddy, lol) and we started a band. Cut a few demos, traveled here and there. Prior to that band, I worked for a small record company so I got to travel all over the states and meet lots of promoters and bands which helped out when I had my own band. We were together for 3 years. Lots of ups and down. Our drummer had quit after a year and in Oklahoma, drummers are hard to come by for what we played. So I sat down at a drumset and made myself learn. We still had shows to play. Our singer/lead guitarist ended up moving out to California in the summer of 2001. I was suppose to go with him but I stayed for a girl I had been dating for 3 years. 2 months later, we break up. I was pissed. My friend was already setup in a new band. They went on to become The Havoc and after years, have changed their name to Spades & Blades.

Anyways, I still play here and there. Mostly for my kids who I hope to be teaching in the next few years (6, 3, and 1). I played bass at our church for a long time then we switched churches. Thats about it. As others have said, life steps in and if playing isn't something you know you are going to do for the rest of your life and make a living at, its hard to keep doing full time, especially once those babies show up :p . I love reading everybody's story. Feels like I get to know you all a tad better.
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

I've been playing the guitar since I was 15 (that was 13 years ago). I could play some songs. But I've had a problem with the B Maj chord where I could clip the whole chord, but the last string wouldn't sound. So never been a guitar player professionally. Bm I don't have a problem with. :p

in all 13 years that I could play a guitar, I never thought about being in a band. However, me and my friends just started a band in Jan 07. I was assigned to play the Bass since we were almost all new to the band scene, and werent thinking of doing this and getting paid. (we are now, for extra cash on the side ;)

So, I've been a bass player for little over a year, and I'm loving it. I've been learning the scales and extra tricks on it. Slapping and popping I haven't really mastered yet. But I can fake it. :D

Any bass players out here? Care to teach a newb some tricks?

Cheers,
ampao
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

JohnnyAngel77 wrote:(and ill be 28 on the 14th of march)
Happy Birthmonth! ^_^
JohnnyAngel77
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Ogre Kingdoms & Wood Elves

Post by JohnnyAngel77 »

ampao wrote:
JohnnyAngel77 wrote:(and ill be 28 on the 14th of march)
Happy Birthmonth! ^_^
Thanks! I play bass but out of all the instruments I play, I don't know enough theory behind it to teach any of it. I just play by ear, and not super but enough to get by and add some extra stuff that while simple, makes songs sound better than just following the guitar.
EC was here
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Only Wood Elves at this time.

Post by EC was here »

I play guitar. Not very well. I take lessons. They help... a bit.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... t/guitars/
Les sanglots longs
des violons de l'automne
blessent mon coeur
d'un langeur monotone.
Zardan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Chaos Mortals, Empire

Post by Zardan »

I play acoustic, classic and electric guitar since about 16 years back. Nowadays I do not play in a band any longer, but sometimes play when there's larger parties. I'm focusing on classical music more and more (Bach, Paganini etc), but has heavy metal and blues as the base from which everything sprung.

I also play piano, drums, bass and harmonica as well as compose larger pieces through composing software, Midi and so on.

I do not sing. I would never dream of torturing other people in such an inventive way. :)
noneshallpass!
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by noneshallpass! »

EC was here wrote:I play guitar. Not very well. I take lessons. They help... a bit.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... t/guitars/
Nice collection atleast, guitars are a god investment :nod:
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

That's a helluva collection. :nod: For how long have you been playing? What's the reason for the stocking up on Fender Strats? :o From your experience is the semi-acoustic any good?
EC was here
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Only Wood Elves at this time.

Post by EC was here »

I first picked up a guitar with any sense of mission in the fall of 1990 (after Stevie Ray Vaughan's untimely death). After about 2 years life got in the way and I didn't play again until I met my current instructor about 4 years ago. I'm not a natural by any means.

I first bought the 89 strat first. A friend of a friend was selling it cheap to get money to spend on something else. The rest of them I bought over the last several years based on liking the way they sound.

The Acoustic/Electric is a custom model by Guild. They're not made anymore. It's a beautiful instrument.
Les sanglots longs
des violons de l'automne
blessent mon coeur
d'un langeur monotone.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

I play jews harp.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.