Converted Warhawk Riders

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Converted Warhawk Riders

Post by dex »

Now that I've finally managed to register I can share some bits I've been working on with you.

Warhawk riders on warhawks:

Close up of the riders:

I just wasn't happy with the surfing look and prefer the concept drawing so I sculpted some kneeling legs, cast them in metal and then converted the riders. I also replaced the bows and spears with some spare bits from my glade riders as the ones they come with are just to chunky.
Shadowspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shadowspite »

You see everyone, this is what the warhawk riders should look like. Well done for actually making those gods-awful riders look both cool and plausible! :D
"...While the Hollow Man still walks the world, casting his shadow of terror and death, so the Shadow-Hunter cannot die. Rest is forbidden him. Those folk fear the Hunter as they fear his dark quarry, yet still they bless his name, for he is the only saviour they have...”
Deathjester
Painting Guru

Post by Deathjester »

Pretty cool, the sculpt is pretty nice...... the foot is a little long tho...
Here's the jig, you don't have to agree with what i say, you can tell me that you don't... Just don't expect me to care.

Salameth Nightbringer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Salameth Nightbringer »

I really like your Riders.. Find those GW models awfully and really want some in my army, but your conversion is far beyond my skills..

Maybe you have some hints for a simple rider conversion.. without much help of green stuff..

Greetz
The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

They are a really good idea, how did you cast?

Well done, they look fantastic :)
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

I made a mold from silcone rubber and cast in white metal which has a low melting point and the silicone can take the heat - we're talking about 120 degrees C.
The Silcone is availbale here:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=82083

Heres the sculpt:

Sorry Salameth Nightbringer I looked for a simple solution using existing miniatures but ended up having to sculpt my own

Deathjester the foot is from a Dark eldar plastic it looks fine in real life it might just be the photo is distorting it a bit
Deathjester
Painting Guru

Post by Deathjester »

it's quite possible :D
Here's the jig, you don't have to agree with what i say, you can tell me that you don't... Just don't expect me to care.

Cenyu
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Cenyu »

Wow, cool conversion!
The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

How did you apply the heat? did you melt current models to make the mould?

It still looks fantastic.
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

I bought casting metal from a local shop and used a casting ladle to melt the metal on the kitchen hob/cooker at full heat the rings are more than hot enough to melt the metal

The casting kit I use:
http://www.princeaugust.ie/2000/index.html
And the metal available at the same site:
http://www.princeaugust.ie/metal/index.html
I use the modelmetal.
philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

Wow, that's wonderful. That's what I really wanted to see, Kneeling Warhawk Riders. I'm gonna have to borrow that Idea for my Warhawk Riders..

Excellent work, can't wait to see them painted.
Squirrel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Squirrel »

Hi there are you still selling your legs? I haven't had time to get back to you on Warseer(also don't have paypal yet). I would be looking for those legs maybe at the end of september if you could knock me up a batch...

Brucey...
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

I already cast some WHR for you squirrel I'll keep em aside for you.
(As for my own legs I'm quite attached to them and won't be selling them - sorry just poor wording on your part!) .
I assumed you where no longer interested when you didn't reply to my PM on Warseer
max_volumenz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by max_volumenz »

Those riders look awesome. They are just what I was planning on doing with mine but i was hoping to use existing models legs, so i guess im gonna have to come up with something else.

Great work though
Shinobi
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Shinobi »

Shadowspite wrote:You see everyone, this is what the warhawk riders
Indeed ^_^ Those surfing ones were stupid, reminds me of that LOTR film scene where legolas surfs with that uruk-hai shield..
The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

Why did you change the bows though? I thought that they were OK.
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

nah the bows are to big and awkward I prefer the plastic bows
eglagrodion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eglagrodion »

wow those are great.
you made me see what the warhawk riders were missing.
my next unit warhawks will be a conversion than to :)
hear me now, oh crime should be treasured if they bring the pleasure...
some how!
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Angels

Post by risK »

dex, your work is truely awesome! The stag and the WHR, wonder what you'll come up with next. You are a great inspiration.
Thanks.

risK
no risK, no fun
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

For my next trick - some concept sketches for a treeman:

Its still in the design stage at the moment and I probably won't start it for a while I tend to work better in 3 dimensions and usually don't work from sketches but this will be totally sculpted by myself and I'm trying to see if I can sculpt in pieces using ball and socket joints to position the arms and legs and head so the I can cast it and possibly sell it if it works out.

Other plans include a noble on great eagle using the noble with the horned helm and some of my WHR legs with a lot more detail added
Last edited by dex on 21 Aug 2005, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
The Inspector
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Vampire Counts

Post by The Inspector »

And you can draw??!

*grumble grumble*

:P
Anyway, good luck with it, it looks good ;)
The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

Ball and socket? You'll never be able to do that, it will be really really difficult.

If you do try try not to use a sculpted ball, but a ball bearing, that will mean that it will be perfectly round. If you are going to cast it it shouldn't matter anyway.

BTW, how much does the metal cost?
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

Its not exactly ball and socket thats the easiest way of describing it. Its just an idea at this stage. See how the lower torso is rounded the legs will have a concave joint to fit this, the arms will fit like the dryad arms with a slighlty more rounded end it will allow for some movement of the pieces when assembling

The metal costs me €30 for 10 Ingots of white metal an ingot will cast about 8, 25mm miniatures so they say but I reckon its closer to 5.
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

funnily enough your treeman kinda looks like the one in the new white dwarf... except it doesnt have the glade gaurd plat form on it.

cant wait to see it!

oh and do you have a site where you post up your stuff? i wann asee more!

-warmaster
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
dex
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dex »

I keep my stuff in a photobucket account. I recently lost my hard drive along with most of the images I had taken so theres only a few images in there at the moment. I'll be creating a folder for my wood elves in the next week or two.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y244/davejc/

Its mainly warmaster stuff because thats what I've mainly been interested in in the last 3 years but I needed a new challenge and craved painting 28mm again. The damsel is the warm up piece I did before starting my wood elves the colours a little off in the photo but it gives a goosd idea of where I'm at painting wise. I plan to do my entire WE army to this standard rank and file and all its going to take ages till the middle of next year I reckon but I really want a display army I have a VC and Brets army which aren't great paint wise but they do the job game wise.

If you look at the end you'll see the first Blood angel I ever painted about 6 years ago beside a Daemonhunter I painted, this was a comparison shot for another thread but it shows that anyone can get good with practice.