Painting Horses

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Preacher
Newcomer
Newcomer

Painting Horses

Post by Preacher »

Its me again,

I would like to know if anyone has any good painting guides for painting horses. I never seem to do them to well. I know it is a matter of practice but I would like to see if there are any guides or tips out there that I can try.

Thanks

Preacher
Abash, the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is, how awful goodness is.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Re: Painting Horses

Post by popisdead »

I'm at work on my lunch so I can't spend time looking it up, but if you go to the UK or US gw site and dig around you can find an old article in pdf form from the 150's era of White Dwarf by Mike McVey that is really good on painting horses.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Xavir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xavir »

I can tell you how I paint horses, I have only painted 5 horses, and only 2 of them have been done this way, but it looks astounding.

OK first off choose a colour you would like the horse to be like.

Once you have done that, undercoat the horse white, then paint the color you chose on it. After that dries, take a shading color, usually darker than the base color, and water it down to a runny, yet not to wet, nor dry, milky consistency, like milk which has been left out of the fridge too long. Now quickly paint that all over the entire horse and before it dries take your thumb and rub the horse EVERYWHERE. Now just apply some highlights of the base color mixed with some white, then voila you are done and ready to paint the helm, saddle, rider etc.
I need a better signature
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

popisdead wrote:I'm at work on my lunch so I can't spend time looking it up, but if you go to the UK or US gw site and dig around you can find an old article in pdf form from the 150's era of White Dwarf by Mike McVey that is really good on painting horses.
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... horses.pdf
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
bark
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by bark »

there are some very important things to remember.

horses never show the white in there eyes (only when in panic) so paint the eyes black with a little white spot for the light.

white horses don´t have black hooves, they are brown.
while dark horses mostly have black or darkbrown hooves.

bark
Preacher
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Preacher »

Thanks alot everyone. If there are any others out there with some more links or thoughts, please post them. I have 15 Glade Riders to do after I get these last 3 waywatchers done.

Thanks again

Preacher
Abash, the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is, how awful goodness is.
Krunch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Krunch »

If your after a quick factory like method of horse painting. What works for me and I do stress works for me! :wink:

Is a skull white (Sprayed undercoat) and then layers of Brown or Chestnut or Flesh Wash. Although Flesh wash gives almost identical colour as either brown or chestnut I cant remember!

The down side to this is that you dont get a terribly even coat, it can be blotchy. The upside is, its fast and gives some ammount of shading and highlighting with little effort.

Of course, if you dont want brown horses.. You can try other colour inks, but you might have to spend quite a lot of time watering down/colouring down etc.

I dont know how long you take on painting! :p