Help needed w. Asur Theme

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Which Theme should i go for?

Poll ended at 08 Dec 2007, 08:04

The Last Court of The Great Forest
56%
The Lost of Tor Anroc
No votes
The Ravenkin
22%
Other
22%

Total votes: 9

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Help needed w. Asur Theme

Post by Ryikko »

First thing's first, I'm not a mockingbird. I don't jump on the newest shiny thing that GW produces. Truth be told, I was planning on Asur being my first army (which was well before the new release). I have no idea why i started Wood Elves first (which was my second choice), but i'm glad to have.

I have no Army Book for the High Elves yet, but i soon will. As a matter of fact, i have nothing but the command models for a unit of Swordmasters. After contemplating for a while, i have come up with three different schemes that i would like to pursue with my upcoming Asur force. Please note that the fluff/writing is quite shoddy at the moment, but it will be finessed once i have a book (which may be as far away as christmas <.< ).

The Last Court of The Great Forest
Deep within the Great Forest lies a hidden hall of times past. Located in somewhere in between the Laurelorn Forest and Salzenmund, the halls appear derelict to any passerby, and not even the most keen observers will find that it is quite the opposite. Inside its walls dwells few elves, but elves nonetheless. Still loyal to the Phoenix Throne, these elves are led by Ellerix Elmkin, a strictly finessed lord of combat. He rides upon his dragon, Nahaelon. Strangely enough, Nahaelon hides extroardinarily well, for after many centuries, he has adapted to his surroundings.
Ellerix's "Last Court" acts as an informant to Ulthuan of the happenings of the Empire's northern regions. Therefore, his army is agile and stealthy, though it still retains some of the glory of Ulthuan through the service of Swordmasters.

Test Model:
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
AUGH! dammit.....always links. I'm very very sorry!

Nag? pics are the right size (some 800x650 or so)....help?

Front
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... tfront.jpg

Back
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... rtback.jpg

The Lost of Tor Anroc
Ages ago, Tor Anroc was a glittering city of ivory towers that towered above the mountains themselves. The elves there prospered, and all was good and well. When the Sundering ravaged upon Ulthuan, Tor Anroc was consumed by the very sea itself in a hateful act of Tzeentch's will. Little survived the razing of the city. Those who did were eternally scarred, and were filled with a teeming hatred of the Chaos Powers. The surviving mages from the former city tried as best they could to raise the island from the tides, but it was to no avail. Years passed as they lived their lives fighting Daemons, but they could not sate their lust to live, once again, in their glorious city of Tor Anroc. After many more years of unbearable waiting, some mages devolved into a deal with the Dark God Tzeentch. They would promise their souls to him when they die, if he would raise Tor Anroc again from the seas.
It was sworn upon, and the seas began to churn and bubble, and up through the water rose Tor Anroc.

But it had changed.

It had lost its luster from before, its gleam but a mere dull shine, algae and barnacles encrusting many walls of the city. Through their anguish at what they had done, they began to try to barter other things with Tzeentch, but he would not listen. The pact had been made.
The elves set upon the city later in the year, beginning to familiarize themselves with the nostaglic feeling they had almost drowned in at first. Terrified they were, when they found that as soon as they had set foot upon the raised city, they no longer existed. And the city itself was invisible to everyone else except for its denizens.
They now haunt the city of Tor Anroc, only appearing to intercept Druchii raids, in which, reports have been made about ships appearing from thin air, and detroying the raiding ships of their acursed kin.

Front
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... cfront.jpg

Back
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... ocback.jpg

Possibilities for Dragon Models:
http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2865

http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2618

The Ravenkin
Long lost, these elves dwell in the city of Tor Elasor. With any means of connection long since lost, these elves have adopted a very different fighting style. Needing to protect themselves against both Daemons and Lizardmen (and the diseases and toxins that ensue), they have adapted an ambusher-esque fighting style, much akin to their Wooded brethren. Their main patron of worship is the moon, for it powers the winds of Ulgu (or Khadar Ulgu in the Dark Tongue). They prefer to fight during the dark, when their magic is strongest. Aentrith Ravenblood soars above the skyline atop his dragon, Iseult. He commands his ambushes with unnerring precision, and he will hold his own against any foes.

Forenote I painted the banner quite crappily for a reason. I meant to just get a sense of what it may look like, so please ignore the extremely low quality of it. I'd prefer if you focused on the model. :D

Front (with banner):
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... banner.jpg

Front:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... dfront.jpg

Back:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... adback.jpg

Any comments or sugesstions would be greatly appreciated!
And just as a last note, the models actually look acceptable IRL... :nod:

Thanks for looking!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
DarkMark
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Help needed w. Asur Theme

Post by DarkMark »

hi,
I think the purple model is best followed by the green. I'd probably pair the purple with biege though as blue could be a little too DE :lol: .

edit: if you decide to go with the purple try using a little dwarf flesh in the highlight to add richness to the colour.
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Sorry 'bout the attachements. Seems to have F'ed up big time. Working on it.

~ Nag
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Well, I'm split between Tor Anroc and the Last Court elves. I think the Last Court of the Great Forest fluff is my favourite but I prefer the Tor Anroc colourscheme... <.<

I think overall my favourite would have to be the Last Court of the Great Forest. The Tor Anroc fluff seems a bit out of keeping with the mainline Asur stuff, as I really can't see them making many deals with Tzeentch. I'm not too keen on the Ravenkin fluff but I can easily imagine an Asur colony somewhere in the Empire as a last outpost in the Old World. Not sure about the green though, although I understand they're in a green forest...

So there you have it, my vote is for the Last Court of the Great Forest. I'd quite like a slightly darker green though :wink:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

I'm trying to shy away from the "common" colourscheme of the Asur...even though the Last Court kind of looks reminiscient of the Caledor scheme.

I wasn't really keen on the idea of Tzeentch either, but i was looking for other people's opinions. Aparrently i'm not alone.

Seeing Beithir's point, i will try to darken the green.

I'm beginning to dislike the off-white colour of the clothes in the Last Court model. Should i make it a pure white (highlighted from a blue-grey)? or a colour like the cloth on the Tor Anroc model?
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I would go for a pure white cloth personally. The Tor Anroc cloth is still fairly similar to the existing colour on the Last Court model. Not sure how it will look highlighted from blue-grey though...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

Not sure how it will look highlighted from blue-grey though..
Like this:
SM front (far).JPG
SM front (far).JPG
I understand that it's not the best quality, but i'm content with them.
Attachments
SM back (far).JPG