From the ground up...

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

From the ground up...

Post by Ryikko »

A diary of my scratch built treeman.
....Aegrimm the Guardian is a wise and powerful spirit of Athel Loren. He has witnessed countless moons, and fought to protect his glade for more than half of his entire exsitance. He is a vicious and spiteful being, taking revenge at any oppertunity, yet the elves of the Vaults of Winter respect his vigilance to protect their beloved glade. His material form is hunched over, and brutish, a complete opposite of his spiritual posture. Aegrimm is a tactically minded being, as well as a masterful fighter. He has brought early demises to warriors of almost every race. Even elves. He was one of the first to rebuke the elves when they first came to the forest. His mind has changed now, seeing that they protected his kin despite what they forest had done to them. He still does not trust some elves, particularly those who worship Loec....
An excerpt of my army fluff.

A week or so ago i set off to rebuild my (WIP) treeman (some people may remember my failed attempt at an army blog before).I found out the hard way that Sculpey does not hold GS at all. Some time later I found some weird air drying clay to replace it, and it has worked quite well so far. This new treeman is my newest project, and it's not quite as large as the original (unfortunately :D ). I plan to build up from the roots, hence the name.

I am definetly no master of GS, far from it. Quite sad actually, as the majority of my models have some sort of conversion involving the devilish substance. I plan on adding to it slowly, not in large chunks. About once a day, maybe skip a few days for various reasons, but i will try my hardest to keep this thread alive.

anyways, ill shut up now, and get to some pics....
treefron.jpg
Attachments
tree (high angle) front.JPG
Roots back.JPG
roots front.JPG
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: From the ground up...

Post by Ryikko »

It seems as if no one's interested....oh well, i guess i'l putter on with my updates.....

I missed yesterday because it was Halloween, but i got an entire leg done today, so i'm content.
Pics: (there's a little extra model. Note, it's WIP, and my camera makes it look hideous. IRL it's actually a decent model...)
P.S comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated
Tree leg (Nov 1st).JPG
Tree leg 3 (Nov 1st).JPG
Tree leg back (Nov 1st).JPG
The Reaper model is painted as a warrior of Tzeentch with the Hellfire Sword (typical ;) ) I sculpted the fire on the sword, and the faces on his shoulder plate (i know its the crappiest sculpting ever, save your breath)
Tz. front.JPG
Tz. back.JPG
Tz. side.JPG
My first real attempt at object source lighting...
tz. obj. source light.JPG
Tz. source light close-up.JPG
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Guardian
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Guardian »

Ryikko wrote:It seems as if no one's interested....oh well, i guess i'l putter on with my updates.....
It's not that no one's interested! It's already been 63 views of this thread :nod: I've visited it twice myself. But since my sculpting and painting skills are very limited I haven't got too much to write other than that it looks great! ;) About the source lightning... I think it's a great first attempt but it looks more like his armour is melting than being lit up :) And the skull looks like it has glasses :sexy: Other than that I think he looks great and the treeman looks great so far, the legs at least :ninja:
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

Agreed the Reaper mini could use some work...

On the topic of my treeman, i have come to the realisation that all scratch built treemen seem to be distant relatives to the Michelin Man....
even more so when mine will be painted a grey/white tone.... :eek:

Anyways, onto the pics (bad lighting for some this time...sorry in advance):

crap....it seems as if im forced to use links this time.... <.<

front
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... ront-1.jpg

Back
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... eeback.jpg

Side
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... eeside.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... eside2.jpg
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Nag?
my pics are the right size...too many on the thread? help would be greatly appreciated, as i hate links immensely
Guardian
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Guardian »

Still looking good :nod: It will be intersting to see the face once it's been greenstuffed :D

I'm a bit worried about his left arm. It might be hard for you to fit him in base to base contact with anything larger than a goblin :paranoid:
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

no pictures...or progress today. I can't get acess to my minis today....
I'm a bit worried about his left arm. It might be hard for you to fit him in base to base contact with anything larger than a goblin
heh...ya....you're right about that....but i'm not sure what i should do about it....

I'm saving the face for last...just so i don't completely screw it up...if you want to see what i'm hoping it will look like, here's a link

Link to pic:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... an_art.jpg

ill try to get some work up tomorrow
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: From the ground up (scratch-built treeman)

Post by Ryikko »

ill try to get some work up tomorrow
as in five days.....oh well, its not like anyone cares.....(or is reading at all...)

I got some work done on the right arm, though it's not done yet...

I purposefully gave him a "biker's glove" hand, to expose some "nudity" on the treeman :sexy:
Front.JPG
front angle.JPG
side bottom.JPG
comments! criticisms! Please! i'm feeling lonely...
domus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by domus »

Wow - Big Project.

You may want to try and keep some of your "bark crevices" really deep and some small. This will help provide some contrast and later give some nice ridges for painting.

Not sure what your final plans are, but it might be neat to go back when he's all done and add a "patch" of bark here and there.
The Pumpkin King
http://www.iwfb.org
Guardian
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Guardian »

Looks good, I'm unsure what Domus is talking about but it sounds good :p

So you wont greenstuff his fingers? I have no idea how that will look like once it's painted... might be a good idea ;)
Raindog
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Slaaneshi Chaos, and Wood Elves

Post by Raindog »

Well, I care and am viewing this project quietly. I want to see where it goes adn may be copying your technique to make my Treeman model (sitting in his box) taller and larger. Keep up the progress.

RD
DarkMark
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DarkMark »

Hi,
I'll wait till the treemans finished before I comment on it :nod: With regards ´to the warrior you could really benefit from using the lining technique to give definition to the armour and make it pop :thumbsup: . Also extreme close ups tend to make even very good paint jobs look a little amateur so don't worry, well unless you spend your life with your nose only 2inches from models :lol: keep up the good work