Is Asur.org down? Not anymore!

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Eldarion
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Eldar, space marines, Lotr, Wood elves, dark elves and High elves now empire.

Is Asur.org down? Not anymore!

Post by Eldarion »

I've been trying to get onto the site for ages, keeps saying forbidden, is the server down or is it my computer?

Eldarion

---

NagEdit: Globalised this thread to make notice of the new site that is up and running. Visit http://www.ulthuan.net to see the new Asur.org!

Code: Select all

Eldacar would kill you :)~ Nag
Aryel
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WHF: HE, DE / MORD: SW, DE / DBA: Greeks, Gauls, Romans, Germans

Re: Is Asur.org down?

Post by Aryel »

Yes, it's temporary down. And the Lores are working on it. Patience is all you need. :)
"Thou shall observe a lazy day every Tuesday afternoon!"
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Patience? I got no patience! All I got is inpatience! AAAGGHHH!
And I cannot get the chatwindow to work form here, only from asur.org... gahaha!

Well, I guess I will survive, for a while! :D
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

From what Eldacar's told me, it's neither. While he didn't say precisely what the problem was, it has been identified, and they are working on fixing it.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

What Eldy says isn't always true. He blames heavy traffic, and Asur has seen worse, a lot worse. Also, on their host, they have unlimited bandwith. It can be traffic-related though, but it's not one of the usual overloads if it is.

~ Nag
Eldarion
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Eldar, space marines, Lotr, Wood elves, dark elves and High elves now empire.

Post by Eldarion »

Wow the sites been since this morning!

VictorK
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by VictorK »

We are in contact with the hosting company and trying to get it sorted out. Ric is our go to guy, but from transcripts of his conversations with the hosting people we were suspended for 'MySQL use cause server overload' which may have stemmed from 'verylarge or spammed forum'. So I don't think Eldacar is off the mark here, though what Nagathi says isn't to be dismissed. We had a similar issue earlier in the year involving the search function which if you'll remember caused us to remove off topic from the list of searchable forums. I'm not going to say that this will be a quick fix, but the good news is that it appears that the database and the domain name are in tact. Given these issues some of the Lores have grown dissatisfied with our current host and may seek a change, the most long term solution but one that may take time to implement given that as the site owner only Timmy can do it. We may have some stopgap measures to put in place if it appears that this process will be overly long, and we thank Nagathi and the other communities that form the extended network of the online warhammer community for putting up with announcements regarding our little corner of that community.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

VictorK wrote:Given these issues some of the Lores have grown dissatisfied with our current host and may seek a change, the most long term solution but one that may take time to implement given that as the site owner only Timmy can do it.
You are not alone. Due to the shitty host speeds, site going offline every night at 20:00 for ten minutes, and other odd occurancies, I have been looking to find a new hosting company.
Viktor, can you tell Timmy to contact me about it? It appears as one.com is the cheapest, and you get what you pay for...

~ Nag
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Really anoying!
But you are welcome here in the meantime! Good luck with the fixing, Victor.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Skeinsliver

Post by Skeinsliver »

This heralding darkness that has befallen Aur.org is but an omen of the impending nightmare that is going to become the 7th ed. HE. Fear Ulthuan....Fear the disgusting 7th ed AB. I will be HE stasis ( but playing DE) with my 6th ed. AB until the end of the 7th curse.

Or it could be a bandwith problem. Either way....Disgrace & Shame to GW on the 7th ed HE AB. :thumbsdown:

PS - hi everyone from Asur :thumbsup:
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

What Eldy says isn't always true. He blames heavy traffic, and Asur has seen worse, a lot worse. Also, on their host, they have unlimited bandwith.
It isn't a question of the bandwidth use specifically, but rather a clause in the one.com terms of service which notes that they can suspend the site if we're slowing down everybody else on the server, unlimited bandwidth or not. Or something like that, in any case.

"Andreas: let me check what is wrong with that
Andreas: it has been suspended for this reason :
Andreas: MySQL use cause server load (SELECT t.forum_id, t.topic_id,
p.post_time FROM ulthuan_topics t, ulthuan_posts p WHERE
p.post_id......). Possibly verylarge or spammed forum"
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
ediblespread
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ediblespread »

It still doesn't explain how it happened though. Surely we should get some sort of warning about us starting to slow down other users if it was happening slowly (and wouldn't we notice slow-down with Asur too?), and if it was sudden... then how? Sure, the OT people spam (;)), but not that much!

Or did every hidden spambot in the entire site activate and go on a crusade at once? :p

-Ediblespread, going-to-kill-one.com-if-he-loses-the-library-stuff
Skeinsliver

Post by Skeinsliver »

Wow. There's almost enough of us from Asur here to take over Asrai :evil:

Hmmmmm :wink: shall we invade and subjugate the rest of the forums by force :D

J/K. Nagathi and Ramesesis already passed out the word to their Asrai brethern, so we've been under unseen, close-range guard from waywatchers with their KB arrows trained on us since we began posting. :paranoid:
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Indeed, we got waywatchers teams on your tails, and several Glade guard compaines have been put on standby alert if need be. So behave dear asurians! :ninja:

Well, it is good to see you here though and it do show that informal network that has been formed works. I guess D.net are also taking in some temporary refugees.

It is a damn shame. It seems as if asur.org have something of a curse upon it. The curse of Aenarion, maybe, because it always pops back after a while, carrying on the proud traditions of earlier sites.

I was in on asur.org what must have been merely a few hours before it was suspended. And I did notice an anyoing slowdown and was a bit puzzled, since we know there is always a slowdown in the evening, but this was occuring early in the day, swedish time.
So I would not completley rule out some massive spamming...
Skeinsliver

Post by Skeinsliver »

Ramesesis wrote:Indeed, we got waywatchers teams on your tails, and several Glade guard compaines have been put on standby alert if need be. So behave dear asurians! :ninja:
:) yes, we'll behave (*thinking* hope my Star Dragon pickup arrives soon */thinking*) :paranoid:

Ramesesis wrote:Well, it is good to see you here though and it do show that informal network that has been formed works. I guess D.net are also taking in some temporary refugees.
Good to see you too thanks for the hospitality. Yep, D.net found some refugees for sure. It's kind of amazing how far behind in-the-know D.net readers seem to be regarding 7th ed. HE. With them being so affected from the new ASF/SoA, one would figure them to be on the edge of every rumor. Know thy enemy and all of that.

Ramesesis wrote:It is a damn shame. It seems as if asur.org have something of a curse upon it. The curse of Aenarion, maybe, because it always pops back after a while, carrying on the proud traditions of earlier sites.

I was in on asur.org what must have been merely a few hours before it was suspended. And I did notice an anyoing slowdown and was a bit puzzled, since we know there is always a slowdown in the evening, but this was occuring early in the day, swedish time.
So I would not completley rule out some massive spamming...
It's not possible that they were suspended becuase of all the rumor confirmations and pts cost of unreleased items were being so freely discussed, is it?

ediblespread wrote:It still doesn't explain how it happened though. Surely we should get some sort of warning about us starting to slow down other users if it was happening slowly (and wouldn't we notice slow-down with Asur too?), and if it was sudden... then how? Sure, the OT people spam (;)), but not that much!

Or did every hidden spambot in the entire site activate and go on a crusade at once? :p
Sounds like stuntie mischief to me. <.<
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

It's not possible that they were suspended becuase of all the rumor confirmations and pts cost of unreleased items were being so freely discussed, is it?
No - the reason given by one.com was copied out above.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Eldarion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Eldarion »

Any guesses on when the site will be back online?

Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

As soon as possible.
ediblespread
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ediblespread »

Wait & See.

:roll:

No, I'm sorry, I had to. Anyway, there is no guess. It might take a day, it might take a year... although if it takes a year methinks we will move servers before long ;)
Eldarion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Eldarion »

ediblespread wrote:
Wait & See.

:roll:

No, I'm sorry, I had to. Anyway, there is no guess. It might take a day, it might take a year... although if it takes a year methinks we will move servers before long ;)
Ah well, The asrai will have to put up with me for a while.

Right where did that gypsy camp site go :p ?

Facade19
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Facade19 »

Well at least we this little piece of forum space here.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

there's a tempory site up now
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
ediblespread
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ediblespread »

And to expand on that...

http://www.talismancy.com/ulthuan/index.php is the temporary site, thoughtfully provided to us by Ricold of Hammer and Anvil. So, thanks to Ricold.

Note: You will need to register again in order to post.

-Ediblespread
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Due to the lack of good system, uptime and support by one.com, Asrai.org is now too looking for a new host. Warvault.net as well. Just felt like posting it as an advance warning if I take the site offline for some time while I make the transfer.

~ Nag
ediblespread
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ediblespread »

As of now, Asur is back up, but no longer at asur.org.uk.

The new address is http://www.ulthuan.net.

A big round of applause for the various lores (normal, ex and temporary) involved in restoring our site!

-Ediblespread