Wolf Kin

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Wolf Kin

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

Ok, so recently before starting a campaign with my Wood Elves, I was asked for some back story about my army, lord and units. It was something that I had never considered much, but I loved the idea of creating my own fluff (that sounds weird).
My Wild Rider squad contains 5 GW WE Wild Rider Models (the metal ones that we all love), and 5 fenrian Wolves from the space wolves set on cav bases. They are ranked up in between every rider so the front row is command & 2 wolves, then 3 WR and 2 wolves.

So here is the story of why they have wolves. I am not a writer so please don't be too critical or anything. But here we go, it's a long one!

..One last thing. I was used to playing my friends Tomb Kings & Vamps armies for ages before I invested in the Wild Riders, so I included some references to them for fun. The casket of souls killed many an elf of mine. Haha! So that's why TK traveled all the way to Athel Loren. Haha!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Wolf Kin

“Council of the Moon”, the Wolf-Kin of the Asrai (Wild Riders)

After surviving many a summer as part of Orion’s honour guard, a company of elite elves from the Wild Rider kin-band were sent away from His majesty’s service in the King’s Glade to some of the furthermost eastern edges of the forest. There had been mass raids for hundreds of years from the east, but their help was most needed in the “Battles of the Rising Dead”.
In these times Vampyric hordes of stumbling, shambling zombies led by overly powered lords and legions of Nehkaran warriors that would blacken the skies with arrows, sent wrath upon the forests edge demanding the release of artefacts or in the case of the Ghoul kings, none more than spilled blood. The borders were being drawn ever backwards and elves perished continuously until this kin-band arrived. The tides began to turn and the un-dead forces began to withdraw. Upon the bleak battle field of one of the final assaults the Wild Riders finally met their match.
It was during a gruelling feud with a twisted Liche Priest sent from Khemri to draw energy from one of the way-stones. An arrow pierced the sun bleached skull of this ruinous leader, and the army began to crumble instantaneously. The battle began to draw to an end and the elves having suffered huge losses began to rally. The Wild Riders mustered up strength and raced towards the rear flanks where a strange altar had been constructed. The Wild Riders hit hard, charging whole-heartedly and recklessly into the small unit of skeletons guarding what looked like a casket. As the last perished, the casket opened and let out a blinding flash of light. Hot winds of death had been released and sucked the very souls out of nearly all of the riders. The battle ended and the riders fled, scarred by visions of this tragedy, caused only by their reckless desires of Fury from Kurnous.
They rode for miles, weeks, driving deeper into the forest, getting lost from even themselves. Eventually the ringing in their ears and the blinding light that plagued their senses faded away and they found themselves looking for refuge. Terrified, they headed towards the slopes on a range of tree clad hills overlooking a small lake that was generously fed by a towering waterfall.
For years they remained isolated, doubting the power of their Gods. Kurnous had betrayed them. Making them blind with fury, they rushed on to fight with ignorance under the guise of the “Call of the Hunt”. Contemplating their ways, this estranged kin-band vowed never to join the Wild Hunt again. Instead they found themselves being preyed upon. The area was dominated by wolves, truly spirits of the forest, forces of nature, supreme hunters that were no match for that of a broken elf. They took sanctuary in the tree-tops, being shaken by the resonating howls that echoed the valley.
As the decades passed, the Elves in awe and fear of the wolves began to listen to their cries with hope. Hope to understand their calls. They deeply revered their prowess as hunter, but the riders still evaded the wolves, and fled at every howl or whimper. They watched the wolves and admired them, always cautiously. Endlessly they studied the hunting techniques, how they moved in synergy. They moved not as individuals but were one, complementing, covering, aiding one another, able to take down large prey that would tower over a single wolf.
The mid-summer moon rose once more and the irresistible urge of “The Hunt” was beginning to fade. Refraining from running amok and acting without thought they gained control. A loud horn sounded awaking the forest from its midnight dream. At first the riders thought that they were hallucinating, sharing the same flash backs of calling of rage that they had all felt consume them. They soon realised it was not the call of a horn sounding for battle, but the howling cries of the wolves seeking aid. The Riders adorned their horses and raced to the summoning howl. The stench of death and panic were in the air.
There were flames and cackles. Swarms of Goblins had come down from the mountains to claim and corrupt the wolf pups for steeds. The Wild Riders were furious at the sight of this defilement, though they mustered their emotions. Instead of blindly charging in as they had done before, they circled the Goblins silently and watched the wolves battle. A deafening call cried, trembling from the elven horns in answer to the wolves’ plea. The Goblins didn’t know what was happening. Majestic fey Elves had crashed upon their rear guard, eyes glowing green, possessed with the very essence of the forest itself. Many fled aimlessly further into the gathering of wolves, only to be devoured or run down. The Wild Riders shepherded the green-skins before releasing their torrent. Moon black blood stained the grass.
As dawn graced the skies, the glade was scattered with hundreds of corpses under a lingering mist. The bodies were gathered and burned. The wolves were tended to, and sentries were established to guard against counter threats. Thus began the kinship of the Wild Riders and the Wolves.
For centuries and countless generations of wolf and elf alike, their bond had grown stronger. Now living in harmony, together as equals, the Elves hunted alongside the wolves. Both learning the importance of working together and of conserving life, consuming only what they needed and sharing all that they had. The Riders honed their skills as hunters and in turn became closer to the Wild. No longer blinded by fury, but acting with clear consciousness, they learned to choose their battles wisely and utilise their strengths whilst taking advantage of their enemy’s weakness. Skills they had long forgotten through ages of rage. They had learnt to balance the power that had been bestowed upon them through Kurnous’ blessing.
Eventually the kin-band were re-discovered by a group of Way Watcher scouts, and brought to the attention of Lord Gwill. Upon visit, the Lord was impressed by the skill and finesse in how they moved. He recognised them as true warriors and offered them positions of nobility and residence in the treetop citadel. They declined.
Surprised, Gwill demanded explanation be given before taking offence at the most generous offer. The Riders explained that they were now at one with the wolves and would not leave their homes or kin. They had created great dens that burrowed into the earth at the feet of great trees. Cavernous palaces crafted deep into the hill side with networks of tunnels large enough for many to claim sanctuary through the bitter winters. The wolves had even accepted the elven horses and would guard the foals as their own pups. Guarding them from foul or threat from any beast or man that was foolish enough to venture into the forest.
The Lord was in awe and was impressed with the harmony that they had developed. He dubbed their tribe with the title of “Council of the Moon” and they were known amongst the Asrai as the Wolf-Kin.
Ever in a time of need they could be relied upon for aid but they would ride together, horn and howl as a pack. They pledged their allegiance but insisted that after each battle they would return to the hills and dens until needed again. Still through the forest of Athel Loren, when the moon glows blue in the lake and blesses the trees with hues of silver, the sounds of horn and howl resonate before the lasting silence of the hunt.
mryam
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mryam »

very nice

it gets better the further in you got
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Thanks mryam. :D

I whipped it up in like an hour and only really starting to get into it towards the end.
Glad you like it though.
Shieldbreaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shieldbreaker »

Nice job,would like to see the pictures of these btw I've started on my own

Jon
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Thank. :D

I'll try to get pics up when I can. I just want to finish my Treekin first then I'll take pics of the full army. I am basing each treekin of a squad of 6 on each of the different forests (eg, blood, fungi, wildwood, abyssal, venom & normal wood).