Help me with nice movies pleas

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Orks, Space Wolves

Help me with nice movies pleas

Post by Balakul »

Hello,

pleas, post below suggestions for movies that involve some nice wood elf scenery and fluff, with 1-2 sentences review if you will.

LOTR elves are more high elves than wood, at least this is how I fell, so let's stay away from hollywodtolkein ones here.
Crobat Balakul
IGMatthew
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE, HE, Bret, IG, GK, SoB, SM

Re: Help me with nice movies pleas

Post by IGMatthew »

Are you looking for wood elf movies where the elves act particularly like the WHFB wood elves? I can't think of many movies that portray serious/aloof wood elves as a primary element. The problem being that, to keep the air of mystery and magic about fantasy beings, movies tend to add a couple token non-humans for variety while setting the humans (who we as humans can better relate to) as the center-stage heroes. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but I can't think of any that end up feeling like WHFB wood elves.

For some scenery ideas the first two that come to mind are:

Robin Hood: Prince of Theives (1991 version) One of the better Robin Hood incarnations IMO, includes such scenic goodness as a village that lives in the trees (and how it is defended) and some really neat looking forest ambush scenes. Add pointy ears to Kevin Costner and you have a competent and practical elven general.

Dragonheart (not the sequel) Also a good one that has great forest battle scene that depicts woodsfolk harrying knights and foot soldiers. Also can give a good sense of how an intelligent dragon acts (voiced by Sean Connery no less). So you may find some love for the highborn on dragon.

Really, when it comes to how wood elf scenery might look, I'd say go to your local video store (or Netflix) and just grab a handful of dollar rentals that have medieval themes. Some of them are decent, others not so much, but you won't know until you try.

Oh! I'd stay away from anything too contemporary, the scenery is likely cg and much of the action scenes aren't done to realistic standards. For the same reasons, I'd steer clear from anime or other cartoons (love them, but not for this purpose).
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Balakul »

Ty, I'm gonna watch all your prepositions. Thnx.
Crobat Balakul
banzaj
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by banzaj »

well...Prince of Thieves...:)
they are in the woods....they use ambush.....I would't think about is film but the moment you mentioned that :) I can't disagree.

Try Pan's Labyrynth....there are spites and the athmosphere is very woodish-mysery-moss stuffed-things and things like that...try it.
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Balakul »

banzaj wrote:Try Pan's Labyrynth....there are spites and the athmosphere is very woodish-mysery-moss stuffed-things and things like that...try it.
I will do as you said, Sir. Thank you :)
Crobat Balakul
Taringtoshnir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WHFB-Wood Elves W40k- Eldar/Tau

Post by Taringtoshnir »

The LOTR elves in lorien in the books are pretty similar sounding to our elves and i posted a thread a while ago in which it mentioned the elves of lothlorien having flets which are massive wooden platforms in the trees which they shoot arrows from you could also build a rope bridge like they mention in the books!
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Balakul »

I just watched Hobit... I was a bit disappointed, probably I expected to much from it. :\
Crobat Balakul
Taringtoshnir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Taringtoshnir »

In the 2nd part of the hobbit they wemt to mirkwood and as they entered it had some nice trees that marked an entrance to the wood and then they hadthe river gate at the end of mirkwood which I thought was a really cool little wall.
Also your statement about the LoTR elves being more of high elves rather than wood elves is BS as the ones in mirkwood are very different from the ones in imladris(rivendell). King thranduil is very reluctant to leave his forest home he turns away all outsider or kills them.
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Balakul »

yea that's true. I actually like the way Bloom and other elves represented and play theirs rolls. I just expected to see a bit longer sequence of mirkwood visiting and maybe more elven structures. Tho that bridge was pure awesomeness, cant even wait to see some creation we we'll be seeing in future from Hobbyists :)
Crobat Balakul
Taringtoshnir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Taringtoshnir »

If they make that gatehouse it'll be the first thing i'll buy or maybe three of them is what is required :D
Laegel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Laegel »

Well I can't think of anything that has a specifically Wood Elf theme to it but movies etc that have a flavour I could certainly think of the following:

"King Arthur" - the woads have a wild feel to them, lurking in the woods clad in war paint.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" - (please don't shoot me) the scene in 'Sanctuary' with the White Stag has a very forest-lore feel and the scene when Snow White first enters the forest is very dark and wild.

"Princess Mononoke" - an anime in which the forest gods of old are pitted against humanity's destruction

"Robin of Sherwood" - a very mystic take on the Robin Hood myth, an 80s TV series. Robin is adopted by the forest god Herne the Hunter to be his 'son'. The merries here are grittier than in other takes on the story and magic is very much in use in the series.

....and in a vague way:

"Hellboy II: The Golden Army" - Prince Nuada has a fighting style very reminiscent of wardancer fluff and there is the Forest Elemental.

Hope that helps.
"The Hooded Man shall come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son, and to do his bidding" - Robin of Sherwood TV Series
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

As for Wardancer themed movies, or even Eternal Guard themed movies, I'd look into something along the lines of Amazon-stuff. The amazon warrior women are (at least in my head) a lot like our sturdy spearmen (eternal guard) and our Wardancers. I can't think of any good movies at the moment, but if you're into stuff around those kinds of units, I think Amazon could be worth looking into.

~ Naggie
valmir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by valmir »

Second Pan's Labyrinth. But that's a damn brutal film.
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Balakul »

wow
valmir wrote:Second Pan's Labyrinth. But that's a damn brutal film.
:D this looks amazing! What do you mean with second? I tried to search Pan's Labyrinth 2 but I keep getting trailers for one movie only O.o
Crobat Balakul
valmir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by valmir »

Sorry - "second" as in "I second the suggestion", meaning I support it.

There couldn't possibly be a Pan's Labyrinth 2.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I just watched the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Wood Elves kicked butt in that movie :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Herr Arnulfe
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Herr Arnulfe »

Although it's sci-fi, I think Avatar provides a lot of inspiration for WH wood elf background with the whole sentient forest angle, deforestation threat, "sophisticated savages" and apotheosis mythology. When Col. Quaritch talks about blowing a hole in the Na'vi collective memory by destroying the Tree of Souls, it really makes you see them as more than just blue tree-hugging hippies IMO.
LandonElf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LandonElf »

Legend- A hidden gem starring Tom Cruise and Tim Curry. My all time favorite fantasy movie before LOTR hit theaters. Lots of woodelf inspired characters as well as an ideal fantasy forest.

Brave- Archery, magic, animals, and forest lore.

Any Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movie. (duh)- The origination of fantasy as we know it and progenitor of the Wood Elf archetype. Desolation of Smaug and The Two Towers feature quite a bit of woodelf badassery.

Game of Thrones- Particularly season 1. The Dathraki (sp?) are, to a certain extent, how I envision Wild Riders of Kurnous. Savage and merciless cavalry with a severe respect for horses and honor.