Wood Elves and the Storm of Chaos

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Wood Elves and the Storm of Chaos

Post by Kakapo42 »

So I've been curious about this, but have so far found nothing on this subject.

What was the angle of the Wood Elves in the Storm of Chaos campaign? What were their motives/intentions, and how well did they achieve them?
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Wood Elves and the Storm of Chaos

Post by Billthesurly »

A few blurbs on Warseer said that the Storm of Chaos was pretty much a non-event in Athel Loren. Beastmen invaded, got hammered, left, ho hum. None of the named characters of the Wood Elves are mentioned in any of the write-ups.

The motive of the Wood Elves is pretty much to protect Athel Loren and mind our own business. It's hard to give them a place in a big campaign with such limited ambitions. PERSONALLY, MY Wood Elves ambition is to protect Athel Loren and to incorporate ALL the world's large forests into Athel Loren! Ambition like that places the Wood Elves on a much larger stage and explains why we would ever be found fighting things like Lizardmen.

Seriously. Read the Lizardman book and then our book and tell me why the two would even know of each other's existence much less be found on the same battlefield! :confused:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

most of the time, since there are so few wood elves, their policy on world conflicts seem to be 'well, as long as no one brings the fight here, why don't you sods kill each other and everyone else off over there? if there's less of you, it's better for us anyway.'
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

But. We are also on a mission. Queen ariel issued a call to war to hunt beastmen in the greater world in order to prevent the destruction of Athel Loren.
Still wont explain why we would fight lizardmen, though.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Wood Elves got into the Southlands or even Lustria in their search for Beastmen, and stumbled upon Lizardmen. Even though neither force is likely to attack just because, none of them are extremely diplomatically inclined either. Lizardmen would want the Elves out of their territory, and the elves would still want to search for the Beastmen. or maybe the lizards are a southern variant of Beastmen.

The other way around is when Lizardmen invade Wood Elf territory (not necessarily Athel Loren). The Lizardmen army is on a quest to vanquish some Daemon or close a Daemonic gate or something. They believe it is inside the Elven forest, and Wood Elves are not in the habit of letting a strange army into their territory. The Lizardmen have experience with Dark Elves, and believe the whole "Wood" Elf thing may be a trick.

I like Bill's view. In my mind I'd actually prefer if Wood Elves were in the Neutral section, like Ogres and Tomb Kings. One good, one evil and one neutral elf faction.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

Billthesurly wrote: Seriously. Read the Lizardman book and then our book and tell me why the two would even know of each other's existence much less be found on the same battlefield! :confused:
I've thought about this in the past. Actually considered writing a short story about it.

It is mentioned that Athel Loren is not the only ancient and sentient forest in the old world although it is by far the largest, and that Wood Elves travel to these other sacred sentient sites to protect them.

Nowhere is it mentioned what happens when a forest becomes sentient, or whats involved in the process.

The story I wanted to write was about a group of Asrai sent to protect a portion of the jungle in Lustria that was awakening for lack of a better world. I mean Lustria is old like WAY old. so why wouldn't it harbour the same ancient magic and secrets as athel loren?

The conflict comes of course from the Lizardmen Slaan the same awakening of power within their realm and investigating. Possibly even not understanding that the trees are becoming alive and sending someone there to 'tap into' the wild magic of this new node without realising what they are doing.

Hilarity ensues, everyone dies, and the chaos dwarves come in and chop down the jungle.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

You have stumbled across the whole raison d'etre of my army. Arafel's Exiles, composed of the female relatives, widows and orphans left behind after a Druchii raid, went to Lustria on a one way Moonstone ride. They took Dryads, Treekin and Spites with them. Their purpose is to "awaken" the Lustrian jungle. ALL of it! When enough of that is done they will march north and sort out their Dark Elf cousins against whom Lady Arafel and her pal Spellweaver Ayesha have something of a grudge (long story). Having made an alliance of convienience with the Amazons (another long story) they still just don't care much about the walking-talking luggage, shoes and handbags that also inhabit the continent.

What's that got to do with the Storm of Chaos? Not much. I just find that it's more fun to get into one's army if it has a cool backstory. :cool:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Loam
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Loam »

I know that I've read somewhere that some of Slann have decided that all elves are intended to dwell on Ulthuan and only Ulthuan. It was the will of the Old Ones. Therefore, conflicts between the Lizardmen and WEs are inevitable.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Did you guys ever play Shadows of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen?

Wood elves are involved in both campaigns, so it's not impossible to incorporate wood elves.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

Mollesvinet wrote:Did you guys ever play Shadows of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen?

Wood elves are involved in both campaigns, so it's not impossible to incorporate wood elves.
I LOVED shado of the horned rat. I still even have a copy. Unfortunately it simply wont work on new operating systems and i dont have the computer know how to trust myself to fiddle with stuff. That said, despite loving the game, even the makers admitted after release that they accidentally made it so challenging that it was impossible to beat without cheating. Still, very fun game, great story, and an excellent interperetation of so many characters and races from the warhammer world. I would love to see it remade.

Never played #2 because when it came out my computer was too crap to run it.

If compatible versions of these games were uploaded ro steam or something, i'd be all "shutupmand take my money!" Moreso even than I usually am with GW products.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Wow I didn't know there were Wood Elves in those games (though they were unfortunately ever-so-slightly before my time). What was their impact in them?

So much history I missed....
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Dark omen can be fixed with the so called "vista fix" which makes it run on windows 7. It is in my opinion a superior game to shadows of the horned rat and maybe any other warhammer fantasy pc game made. It has excellent characters/storyline, decent graphics and an easy gameplay. The game is hard, but beatable. Also keep in note that some missions can be skipped and that missions choices influence which magic items you can get during the campaign. Highly recomended, makes the new warhammer strategy game look pale.

Shadows of the horned rat is alot more difficult to set up, but i made it run on windows 7. If anyone is interested, i can try to write a guide in another topic. The game have excellent characters and storyline, but lacks severely in the gameplay section. The controls are awful, and takes alot of practice. There is also alot of chance in this game, so without cheats it will take alot of replays for each mission. The best scene in this game is the first time you encounter a wood elf, but i won't say more than that.