Forest type of Athel Loren

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Shinobi
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Forest type of Athel Loren

Post by Shinobi »

Right, I remmber there being similar topic to this, but I cannot remember it's name, and I'm too darn lazy to search it (hey, I'm on holiday : D ).

You who are better aware of geographics of Athel Loren, is the forest somehow divided into different woodland areas? I.e, is one part of the forest totally invaded by birches, other part completely made of pines or something? What I've understood of the map, some parts have only certain type of woods in it, but I can't be too sure.

What ya think?
Lord Voldemorten
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Lord Voldemorten »

I've always imagined Athel Loren as a forest of mainly oaks, birches, beeches and other leaf-trees, but this has nothing to do with written fluff...

Obviously there are pine trees (battle of pine crags, or whatever it was called), but I don't recall any other fluff references to tree types in Athel Loren.
~Lord Voldemorten
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

In the make-shift 2004 Annual wood elf list the dryads are able to take aspects: Birch, Oak, Ash and Willow, so I think it's fair to assume that those trees are in Athel Loren, if not the dominant types. You'd have to talk to a arbologist to know if those tend to be in the same type of forest, as I have no clue.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Shinobi
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Shinobi »

Yak wrote:In the make-shift 2004 Annual wood elf list the dryads are able to take aspects: Birch, Oak, Ash and Willow, so I think it's fair to assume that those trees are in Athel Loren, if not the dominant types. You'd have to talk to a arbologist to know if those tend to be in the same type of forest, as I have no clue.
Hmm, in Finland birches, firs and pines are in same forests, but that's matter of planting I suppose <_<
shootyarmies
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by shootyarmies »

My guess is that the main part is deciduous (leaves) with a mix of beech, birch, oak, hickory, etc. and, near the mountains, it is mostly coniferous (cones and needles) with hemlock, cedar, pine, cypress, etc. but thats just a guess
Phalamir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phalamir »

If you look at the map on pg 49 of the army book, there is a clear difference in the way trees are shown depending where they are in relation to the main N/S river (don't know name; runs from Tears of Isha to Parravon). Those to the west and south are rounded blobby things, while those to the east and north are noticably more vertical and spikey. I interpret that as the western part of Athel Loren is temperate deciduous trees (oaks, elms, beech, etc), and the eastern portion is evergreens (pines, firs, yews, etc). The change is probably because of the mountains and the climate modifications they would cause. In addition, if Athel Loren is supposed to be the great Ur-forest, it stands to reason it would contain as much a diversity as can be expected within its climate, ie I severely doubt there are topical rainforest trees in Athel Loren because of the temperate climate; as such, you can probably assume virtually everything from alpine forest, to temperate decidous forest, following a general westward gradiant from evergreen to decidous with a big decidous jump once you cross the river. Heck, near places like the Crystal Mere and along tributaries of the main rivers you can probably even find swampy areas.
"Let's see - got the beer, nachos, and BBQ. Hey, Ariel, me and the boys are going to the game - don't wait up!"

Orion's Wild-Hunt/Tailgate
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

*One quick look on Wikipedia later, our Hero is a fully fledged Arbologist*

Okay, given the fluff and location of Athel Loren, it is likely to be Mesic, and I'd say mostly Desidiuous, except on the western edge where it would be evergreen as it gets up the mountains. There will be some crossover inbetween the two areas, but the evergreens probably wouldn't go too far in to the heart of the forest.

All of the trees I listed are hardwoods, whioch makes sense as hardwoods tend to grow together. Other common hardwoods include: Beech, Cherry, Chestnut, Elm, Hickory, Mahogany, Maple, Poplar, Teak and Walnut.

The trees near the mountains may be similar to the heart trees. Willows becone dawrf in alpine environments, and oaks can be evergreen in colder climates.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Zalasta
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zalasta »

hmm i cant see the forest for the trees! :P hehe just had to.

well i imagine the forest as big dark forest. where little spites hurry along the trees. and dark eyes watching you all the time! :yabbo:

Moved to Meadow of Tales forum ~ Schmeag
Dark times lies ahead. but we shall stand strong! as the forest!
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Forest type of Athel Loren

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I think there are areas where they all coincide, but there are tracks of land that have just oaks and other kinds of trees.
Also, Forest of Loren is a magical forest so it wouldn't surprise me if it went from one type to another.

But yes I think that the forest areas do blend into different areas very nicely.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.