Two Treemen
23%
Treeman and an Ancient
51%

Total votes: 74

Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Location: In that bag. You know... the one you saw those guys tie up and chuck into the river last night. :(

A Dragon or 2 Treemen?

Post by Aeryn »

In relation to my earlier thread 'Dragons in 2000pts' If it is feasible to put a dragon in 2000pts, is it feasible to put 2 treemen in? Or even a treeman and an ancient. 2 treemen actually cost less than a dragon rider but remove the rare slots that could be filled by my WW or an eagle.

PS- I really love my WW
Elysian Fields...
We are storming the heavens,
To raise our swords and shields,
We ascend to our destiny,
To the Elysian Fields
http://s4.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=29840
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Treemen are alright (I face one with Annoyance every time I face Asrai with my Dragon-based Druchii). A dragon rider with Stone of the Crystal Mere and a decent weapon will be very nice, but still not as cheesy as the dual treeman setup.

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

Isn't that nice, Nag? ;)

Anyway, I voted for TM + Ancient. As it is, I play with just the Ancient, but I could definately play TM + Ancient, except that people around me would start complaining. :P
Erenion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Erenion »

I'm not fond of treeman, but I consider a wood elf dragon to be a waste of points and money, since it's definetly the weakest of all dragons in WH world, not to mention a target to every cannon, spell, arrow, bolt...
Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars....
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Erenion wrote:a target to every cannon, spell, arrow, bolt...
With 3+ armour and 3+ ward, I don't think it will be very easy to kill...

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Location: In that bag. You know... the one you saw those guys tie up and chuck into the river last night. :(

Post by Aeryn »

plus while everything is shooting at your 550pt monster (which incidentally can fly behind enemy archers and war machines) the rest of your army is left untouched, and with a 3+armour save and 3+ ward it would be ridiculously hard to kill and would do some damage before it dies.
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Nagathi wrote:
Erenion wrote:a target to every cannon, spell, arrow, bolt...
With 3+ armour and 3+ ward, I don't think it will be very easy to kill...

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
Give it Ariel's Blessing and watch your opponent really moan. 3 saving throws on a dragon, and with the new rules Flaming weapons don't permanently remove the third.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Waerik
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Asrai, Druchii

Post by Waerik »

I'd vote for the dragon, mostly due to it's ability to fly.

Yes, the lack of a lance is a big drawback for the woodelf dragon lord, but he's still a dragon lord, not to mention the fact that the rest of the army is better at playing cat and mouse then the other elves...

Now, one treeman is more resiliant then a dragon, and two is in another dimension al together, (the may be protected buy its extream mobility though, and treemen are vulnurable vs flamable stone throwers, stupid stunties and TK =/ )

The role of the two units are however different (ancients are great if one does not have the points for another lord), they herd the enemy in different ways, the dragon forces the enemy to move so that the dragon does not charge them, and the treeman forces the enemy to move, since it would be sub-optimal to charge them...

And I do belive that al three setups are perfectly feasible at 2k, they should preferably be prat of the army, rather then the army as a suplement to them...
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeryn »

Ariels blessing? I can't find that in ma rulebook.
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Ariel's Blessing is the 5th spell on the Asrai list.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeryn »

aah, I was athinkin it were an item. :p
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

An item to give him regeneration... I wish.

Oh wait... Oaken Armour! Except that only effects the Highborn, and not the dragon. But it's useful since their hit might miss the dragon and hit the rider.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeryn »

ouch! that would be mean together with SotCM and HoDA light armour n shield
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

You can't have Oaken, SotCM and HoDA, it's 110 pts.
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

My vote was for the treeman and ancient. Turst, me: it works. My list only lost once at GT heat 2, placing 14th. And in not a single game did either of my treemen die! In fact if you add up all the wounds they took in all 6 games, it's only just enough to kill my regular treeman, and only enough to get half the points off my ancient!

It's a seriously nasty list, but I've found a way to make it nastier in several ways...
Last edited by Yak on 13 Nov 2006, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeryn »

aah true, blast!!! but who needs HoDA, I can have a noble for that, plus a scroll caddy and all my hero slots are taken up.

Cool, so far we are even with 3 votes for each, would anyone rather just take a regular treeman and a highborn on foot or a spellweaver?

oh and guys pls click my link as I just died and need to drink lots of blood.
*slurp*

Please edit rather than double posting ~Yak

Ah, sorry Yak, :cry: please forgive me *sniff*
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
WoodHawkDown
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by WoodHawkDown »

Hello all --- long time lurker - first time poster :ph43r:

I voted for the Ancient and regular Treeman combo. I have used this 2k list almost exclusively for some time now and it rocks. To date I have only lost my treemen in one battle and that was actually due to a very mean mounted Khorne Lord. Even against cannons I like this list as it is not overly difficult to keep him out of line of sight with some planning and in the event he does take a hit, a good roll is still possible (in 1 battle, my treeman took 3 cannon balls and survived heh).

Anyway, having said that I also have lists made up which feature the following:
Dragon + Treeman
SpellWeaver + Treeman
2 Treemen

Of the above I have only played the Spellweaver/Treeman (only 3 games with this list) but it did very well.

I have yet to have anybody claim "cheese" against any of my lists - but it could be that we have an incredible gaming group here in ID.

Anywho, that's my two cents.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

i think all three have their uses:
if i wanted a properly competitive army i'd probably take an ancient and a treeman. from reading other peoples comments and from personal experience this is the most consistent of the three at winning games (for me at least)

if i wanted a nice all-rounder army i'd probably take just one treeman, two at a push, and take a spellweaver as a lord choice

if i wanted a cool army, i'd take a dragon rider (not that the others aren't cool but there's something about a dragon.....)
just the thought of a whopping great green lizard munching a few orcs produces a huge grin on my face...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Kolk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kolk »

yea too bad you can't take the ol' dragons for just 320pts a pop... but when i think of playing against my empire army, i think of lines of handgunners and artillery waiting to feast on some exploded dragon spleen.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Kolk wrote:yea too bad you can't take the ol' dragons for just 320pts a pop... but when i think of playing against my empire army, i think of lines of handgunners and artillery waiting to feast on some exploded dragon spleen.
Hit on 4+ on long range, wound on 6's and the dragon has 5+ armour and a 3+ ward. I don't think there will be much exploded Dragon spleen. Not even if you face a complete gunline. He will take wounds, yes, but not die. And after one turn of shooting, those handgunners will be dead.

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Although I don't play it because I don't have a second treeman model yet I'd still say TM + Ancient over a Dragon any day.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

A dragon is pretty powerful in 2000 pts, especially backed by a WE army as they are all fast moving anyway. Think of it as a flying treeman stat-wise.

A treeman or an Ancient is very valuable in 2000 pts as well and The decked out Ancient is always a good general.

Two plain treeman is borderline excessive in 2000 pts as is a treeman and an ancient. However combined they were tear through nearly anything.
Gazzor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gazzor »

Hi all,

I'd like to vote for 2 treemen and a dragon.

I'm trying the list out in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gazzor
The Other White Meat
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Other White Meat »

I agree with Beithir Seun, there's just something about a Dragon that is inherently cool.

Although the forest dragon doesn't breath fire, lowering it's coolness, the idea of a dragon prowling through the trees in search of prey is a cooler one, think flying, gas breathing T-Rex from Jurassic Park... :wub:

The bonus is that to increase ones army from 1500 to 2000 all one has to do is add a dragonlord and take off some musos.
George Bush is a compassionate conservative, I don't know what that is but it sounds like a Volvo with a gunrack.
-Robin Williams
Ecalsneerg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Ecalsneerg »

Gazzor wrote:Hi all,

I'd like to vote for 2 treemen and a dragon.

I'm trying the list out in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gazzor
2 Trees AND a Dragon!? Do you have an army left?

I'd say a Dragon, if only cos I love the Dragon model (the older one, not the slightly resculpted one with spites clinging to it)
Graaargh!
Win/Draw/Loss Record
Ogres: 1/1/1