Fast Cav and Alters

Moderator: Council of Elders

Samooel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Fast Cav and Alters

Post by Samooel »

So my armylist in progress have 3 units of GR and 1 of WR, so 20 fast cav units. However it was pointed out to me at the local games store that a battlefield might not be big enough to use that much fast calvary effectivly. I thought this was crap, cause at the very least I can use most of them for baiting/marchblocking as opposed to whipping around the flanks for some back/rear charges and warmachine/mage hunting.

PLEASE someone tell me I'm right!?!?

Also been toying around with the idea of 2 Alters. But not sure how to arm them up. I've been going with the GW, HotH, HoD etc combo. So should I split that up and maybe add briarsheath (which seems to be a popular choice) or a sprite like annoyance or Pagent?

Thanks in advance
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

Well the good thing about Fc is that the units can reform as many times during a move. This makes them one of the most flexible units in the game and allows to them to get setup rather quickly and effeciently for a flank charge or sniping spot.

4 units isn't a bad idea at all. I would only use 3 for a 2k battle. You do not want to invest too many points in them as they cannot break infantry units by themeselves most often...and using them in combi charges is a rather "obvious tactic" that will get shot down time and time again....in other words your opponent will see that one coming...I guess you have to ask youself if you really want to spend 27% of your points on Fast Calvary......

I personally do not like to take more than one of any kind of unit in any Warhammer Army...unless I am following a strict and focussed theme ala my Orions Wild Hunt Force....

It is really up to what you are comfortable with....experiment withaa couple units of FC and get to learn how to use them....then take it froim there.....
Johnny_m
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Johnny_m »

I've heard that a lot from people, that the battlefield isn't big enough, but thats not strictly true. What they mean is, its not big enough to line em all up and race across the board in the first turn. 4 units of fast cav wont be an issue if you learn to hold them back and send them off when/where you most need them
YourMumRang
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by YourMumRang »

If I wanted to run 2 Alter's I'd run 2 teams of the following:

Wild Riders

I have used this combo and find it to be really good. The GR bait and flee whilst the Alter and WR are manoevrable enough to charge at the same time. He really helps out as the WR can sometimes fluff it! WR to the front and Alter to the side can work wonders.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Games Workshop stores are ridiculous in terms of the tables they offer. Many stores, though they feature beautiful game tables, only have 4 x 4 instead of a proper 4 x 6 table for 2000 point games. I don't know what size you're playing on, but I certainly think that fast cavalry have a place on any table size.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I recommend just playing lots of games.

Glade Rides are best when fleeing back through a unit of Wardancers who are about 10"s behind them.

As for manouverability, 18"s means you shouldn't worry too much about lack of room to manouvre unless you're playing a horde.
Samooel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Samooel »

Thanks for all the input, definitly gonna make some changes form what I've seen here. Prolly switching to 2 wild rider units and a single glade rider unit (instead of 3 GR and 1 WR).

Not sure about table sizes here, but I agree that Fas cav should be able to go with any game.

Still torn between a Wardancer noble and another Alter, since I really liked the combo mentioned with GR, WR and an Alter. but I like the re rollable KB that having a wardancer noble with blades of loec gives ya.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

Some fluff crazies will say to take either or....if you are gonna run a CC orientated Wild Hunt type list just take Wild Riders...if you are gonna take a shooty woody defense type list then just take Glade Riders....you can support either with a unit of Warhawks instead of taking both kinds of Fast Calvary..

I myself take 3 units of WR with a unit of Warhawks...

or

3 Units of Glade Riders with a unit of Warhawks....

I find that the focus on a certain strategy makes them more effecient....
Falconrider
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Falconrider »

I usually take 1 GR 1 WH and 2 WR units, that gives me 4 fast flexible units with 2 being hitty and 2 shooty.
Althathir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Althathir »

I tend to run two squads of GR and one WR unit. The glade riders just tend to fit my style of play more. Also they are a little more forgiving of mistakes then WR, If you leave a unit of WR vunerable they are going to take a lot of damage, whereas gladeriders can at least flee if worst comes to worst.
edwin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by edwin »

Last time I played I tried a army with about 13 units.
Let me say this, this are to many units you can't fit them correctly on the field (trust me I tried).
I played with 2 GR + 2 Wild rider + warhawk +eagle etc.

I found that the flank become to crowded and loses it effectivenes.
I will now drop the Wild rider unit and put a big unit of treekin in it.
still it depends on you deployment zone and the battlefield. I personally don't think it's worth annymore to include this much fast cav.
Falconrider
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Falconrider »

I use the 2 WR units to do the flanking with and leave the GR and WH units to bait and harass.
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by ihatecoldweather »

Personaly, i'd go with the 3 GR + 1 WR unit setup as opposed to the 2 GR + 2 WR setup. Or even just 3 fast cavalry units if the table is as small as you say (i.e. 4' by 4'). This is because not only does it save you points, but at 2K, i think that 4 fast cavalry units is a bit overdoing the flanking role, so if you take GR, they atleast can perform roles other than flanking (shooting, fleetraps) where as WR are almost completely limited to the flanking role. ;)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I'd like to add that two units of 5 Glade Riders are very useful in 7th ed, given they can walk farther than most units can march and shoot after a flee'd charge reaction.

So I wouldn't take less GR than combined Wild R's and WarHawk R's unless it was Orions list, or a flying circus (in which case you're still likely theming around 'fast').
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

all that fast cavalry would sure be interesting to play against!!

personally i take 2GR units both with musicians, and a unit of WR (usually 5 or 6) and it works pretty well for me
i dont have any trouble fitting them on the table so it shouldn't be a problem for you
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog