Wood elves, vs skaven 2500 pts. LVL! got to use beasts!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Wood elves, vs skaven 2500 pts. LVL! got to use beasts!

Post by Jamesaet3 »

What a fantastic match it was, I totally dominated the whole fight. 5x7 table with a tower in the middle, to small lakes to the left and right. Hills in the corners and forests in front of them. I bunkered up in the south east corner and weighted a few turns before I started to move up. Oh sorry, my army list

lvl4 spellweaver on unicorn with divination orb and talisman of preservation. Lore of life of course. glamourweave naturally

Spellsinger on steed, Lvl1, beasts, dispel scroll murder of sprites. ( I prefer sprites to spites)

BSB on steed with armour of destiny

20 glade guard full command
10 dryads champion
5 glade riders champion
5 glade riders champion
6 Treekin champion
8 Wild Riders full command
1 Treeman
9 wardancers champion musician.

He had I have no idea. three units of 5 rat ogres with two packmasters. three units on clan rats twenty strong, two units of ten jezzails, yuck! Vermin Lord, General Lord two block of eight globlediers and two poison mortars and two ratling guns.

So our magic was highly uneventful only getting about 4 or 5 dice between the two of else for 3 turns. till turn four when he got twelve but did nothing, and then I got ten and did a lot. My spellsinger took beasts and wildform which is all we really want and this made a big difference.

I took the first took and brought my wardancers and dryads around his right rank, clearly in view of the jezzails for a long time. My glade guard were out of range but waiting for him to move up. My treekin were to the left of the glade guard and my treeman to the left of them. Wild riders to the left of the treeman and right in the middle of the southern board and pointed directly to the tower on the hill in the middle of the field. Glade riders to the left of them, and glade riders all the way to the left of the southern board on a hill. Vanguard the glade riders all move up, my far left glade riders moving within short range of the goblidiers on his left flank. Shooting was good for the start, three poison throwers down, forgot to compute that they were skirmishers but rolled high enough it didn't matter.
His first turn the jezzails killed my bsb, which I thought was my spellsinger, oh well it worked out for me. His jezzails continued to shoot at my wardancers but being skirmishers they were very hard to hit. I lost only two wardancers to jezzail shooting.
I eventually killed the poison goblidiers on both sides from dryads and glade riders. Treekin took on rat ogres when they had earth blood, flesh to stone, and shield of thorns on them, with my spellweaver in the unit, and the rats charged but I when by six. My treeman got a rear charge into another rat ogre unit and broke them by three. Wardancers got wildform cast on them the round they charged the vermin lord and decided to attack first with nine strength five hits and then scoring only two wounds, but lost three wardancers and won because I had a musician, he turned and fled and I pursued and won by one inch!! hhaha!

He quite after that.

So, did my lvl1 spellsinger with beasts be a big factor in winning?.... yes. He casts it on the dryads and the wardancers while they were in combat, helping them out. He also failed almost all of his fear checks. treesining took out a ratling gun, and a few jezzails.

So, having lvl 1 get beasts will make a difference, I also believe that wood elf casters will get treesing like dark elves know that one spell regardless of what they take. Wardancers can get ASF, it makes sense. Glade guard need a shooting bonus, not ASF. a regular ward save might have helped a little bit, but it wasn't a factor in this game. the unicorn granting 2+ ward save to my spellweaver did make a huge difference against a lighting strike.

I do not believe that a major change is needed for the next wood elf book, but I do believe that if they get made for 8th edition we will be much more dangerous,

NO ASF, give us shooting instead. life and beast at level 1, treesinging for all casters, regular ward save, hatred vs our enemies not everyone. and a few extra snipers and we will be dangerous.

He put three of his units into woods,
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Wood elves, vs skaven 2500 pts. LVL! got to use beasts!

Post by Billthesurly »

Congrats on the win. Any time you can stomp the vermin is cause for celebration! :thumbsup:

Beasts works very, very well with the woodies. I never leave home without it and usually take it instead of Life. Hmmm... two spellcasters with beast lore both getting (signature spell) Wildform... Hmmmm. If Glade Guard get ASF it will be because all the other elves get it. Any shooting bennies will be in addition to ASF as, like you said, ASF does not do the GG a whole lot of good otherwise.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Why on earth is there this movement among wood elf players to not get asf?
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

That doesn't sound like a great skaven list. Actually, it sounds like a horrible skaven list, to be honest. If you were facing something a little more standard (massive slave units, storm vermin, lv4 on a screaming bell, 2 warp lightning cannons, doom wheel, a couple engineers for extra warp lightning, doom rocket, possibly brass orb) you might change your tune as to how much adjustment the wood elves need.

I do think asf is a must. For 2 reasons: on the technical side, we need something to give us a potent combat phase. High strength doesn't seem right, and high weapon skill only takes you so far. Asf gives chaff, and lower str units a reason to hesitate rushing us. I wouldn't fear a unit of gutter runners or harpies if my glade guard had asf. On the fluff side, elves are fast. It's pretty much an agreed attribute in the fantasy universe. and since high elves and dark elves can have it, while still wearing armour (even 1+ armour), then shouldn't their armourless cousins get it? He'll, we should actually get rerolls no matter what to compensate!

Anyways, congrats on the win. Skaven are my bane/ arch nemesis. Anytime they lose, it's been a good day :P
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

is beasts legal on spellsingers?
wildZguy09
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves, space marines

Post by wildZguy09 »

ivrg wrote:is beasts legal on spellsingers?
It is but he was most likely playing with custom rules

Good game by the way i have a cousin who plays skavern and they are quite hard to deal with
Beastweaver + Tree man ancient = S9+T9+A9. Yay :)
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

ASF only on Lords and heroes, eternal guard and wardancers. Also, we have high initiative, I rarely go last in a fight. Oh well, I think we've all beat this into the ground. I don't want it, enough on my end.

I've played against that list of vermintide and did ok, I didn't win, but I did hold my own for the most part. The trick of course is to shoot the plague monks because they have no armor. I do believe that just the small change with lvl1 and lvl2 getting beasts will give us a big boost to combat abilites, for instance, str 4 tough 4 wardancers with wildform on them, then of course they charged and yeehaw, 20+ str 5 attacks at ws 6!

Just remember that wood elves use wardancers and fast cavalry and dryads as flankers, while the glade guard and eternal guard form the line with treeman and treekin.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Oh, its not a easy list, you try going against three blocks of five rat ogres with frenzy and two of them have the champion rat ogre, its called the, I forget but its not fun. Vermin lord ain't fun either.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Rat ogres are pretty much point sinks as far as i know. Only toughness 4 with no armor, and if you shoot off the handlers they are even stupid at a very low leadership. If they do make it to your lines, dryads will rip through alot of them before they get to attack.

Also, the main point of getting ASF is not to go first, it is to reroll your failed to-hit rolls in close combat (or avoiding your enemy to do so).