BEASTMEN !

Moderator: Council of Elders

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

BEASTMEN !

Post by frogboy »

Moo !

I would like to discuss Beastmen army lists, tactics, magic etc. anyone got any experience playing with or against these chaotic beasties ?

I'll start with what I know...

Beastmen have low Leadership, often fight in big blocks (although this is not the only way they can build lists) with banner of discipline and a Beastlord/BSB combo to keep other units in check, this also improves their chances of getting their Primal Fury rolls off which gives them hatred.

Ambush, they can choose for their units to arrive via an Ambush special rule, although they have to have an identical unit placed on the board. Also the ambush rule is abit random with roughly 50% chance of the unit being placed in a decent place.

They can have a powerful magic phase, with access to 4 Lores, using shard of the Heardstone and other magical shenanigans to spam spells and hex units with shadow magic or other cunningly evil powers.

Doombulls ?

Beastmen don't have warmachines.

Their big monsters are believed to be over coasted.

Beastmen need to get into combat as quickly as possible so their not shot to pieces, they have a magic item called Chalice of the cows milk or something that protects them for one turn.

Discuss...

:D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
popisdead
Former Council Member

Re: BEASTMEN !

Post by popisdead »

Much like Wood Elves Beastmen are being made weaker by the new books (the last year especially).

Minotaur characters still do quite well and Gor characters with the traditional builds are still reliable however items such as the Hellheart have punished the builds from early 8th ed.

Against a traditional list shooting the Shaman around the Herdstone will be first priority and MSU is the best way to deal with Beastmen.

Ambush sucks for Beastmen. It punishes them more than helps them, especially compared to certain armies getting the BRB Ambush rules.

While the big monsters are overrated The Ghorgon is T6 W6 and a beast in combat (even nekid). I've run dual Ghorgons and 3 Minotaur solo characters and I've eaten up armies. One time my doombull, a solo ghorgon and solo razorgor alone wiped out a VC army.

Speaking of Razorgors, these guys cost what a Minotaur does, loses frenzy but is T5 and S6 on the charge with 4A. I've seen someone take 5 with a Minotaur character for the 30 attacks to the front of an infantry Horde and really grind them out. Of course the Mino-bus does well too :)

I've never lost to Beastmen with my Wood Elves (probably as I'm currently the top player of both armies in my local area and yet on the Beastmen forum it seems split 50/50 with people there who play both which is stronger.

The Chalice, Miasma and Curse of Anraheir are all easily used tools in the Beastmen playbook to drop WS.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Beastmen are my other main army.
You can mostly predict what you'll be facing in a competitive environment (try have a lot of weird fun shenanigans they can pull but these aren't competitive as a rule).
It will be a big block of gors with bsb holding beast banner (+1S), big block of bestigors with standard of discipline, shard of herdstone with lots of lv1 shamans (gives them the second best magic phase in terms of power dice after tomb kings) and lots of great chaff (ungor raiders, razorgors: these are what will be the most trouble for us).
Sometimes you see the minobus (Minos with mino characters filling front rank) normally this bumps the bestigors out of the list.
Sometimes you see a doombull (normally less shamans to make space) with +1 armour and an extra attack for each armour save he makes. Sometimes he's on the flying carpet (bad news for us!). Remember not to feed chaff to Minos, as they get an extra attack for each round of combat they win and just turn into total machines.

As woodies the primary targets are:
-razorgors: can take a lot of arrows but as they can finish off a unit of GG singlehandedly you need them dead fast.
-herdstone: normally there are lots of points in this and not hard to take out when you can move and shoot without penalty. Way watchers can expedite the process.
-everything else

Treemen are the hard counter to gors, but watch out for bestigors as S6 with rerolls to hit is nasty. Minos are inferior to treekin but if it's a fully kitted out minobus get the hell out of the way.

I hated playing woodies with my BM as unless I got my razorgors in fast to take out GG and had good magic phases to fire off magic missiles I found it hard to get points and far to easy to let points go
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

I like beastmen but have not played against them and know little about them. Based on what you say they would really do poorly against a descent Vampire Counts player though as VC is good against low leadership armies, especially with a double terrorgheist list.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

I got given a beastmen list which I essentially 1000pts of chariots and it is brutal. I don't know how it compares to other areas meta's but here it is solid but it does rely on good unit placement and planning
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

robtion wrote:I like beastmen but have not played against them and know little about them. Based on what you say they would really do poorly against a descent Vampire Counts player though as VC is good against low leadership armies, especially with a double terrorgheist list.
Maybe? I rolled a double terrorgheist list with my Mino-bus so it didn't work out for the VC player that game :)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Like most low leadership armies any player qorth their salt keeps all their important stuff within range of general and bsb, so taking advantage of their low ld is difficult unless you manage to kill general and/or bsb.

Their bigger problems in my opinion are inability to deal with armour and flying monsters. Infantry based army and no shooting of note combined to give them that problem.
All chariot armies struggle to keep their points, as the low ld really hurts such armies. Plus when you compare to WoC core chariots......yeah, many tears.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I faced an 11 chariot WoC army with my Beastmen and got rolled. It was a bummer.

Flying monsters for sure are a difficulty, a WE forest dragon would do well vs Beastmen. Fimbulwinter Shard and the Dawnspear would be a good set up, -2 to Hit on avg WS would do Beastmen in pretty well. Nurgle really hurts Beastmen with their over the top ability.

As for armour, they do it fairly decently. Bestigors will reliably bring down armour with S6, and Hatred. Even Gors with the Beasts Banner, all their Hatred attacks, Soulblight/Wissan's will be reliable. Plus Minotaurs and Razorgors have high Str attacks.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"