Post by sentinalofthewoods »

Everything Tom said.. He's entirely correct

Wish he hadn't removed his youtube stuff. I learned a lot from that
Superchristian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Rethinking Glade Riders.

Post by Superchristian »

tmarichards wrote:Using them as a bunker isn't a great idea, as you end up with a very expensive unit that has very few bodies. This means that you only need to lose a handful of models for the level 4 to not get a LOS, and then once the LOS is gone you're unlikely to have another bunker ready for her to jump into, whereas when the mage is on foot they usually have up to half a dozen units ready to serve that purpose.
Depends on your build. If you can beat cavalry and other hard hitters head on, you'll be able to stop them from reaching your infantry bunker, and then, sure, use glade guards/wardancers/scouts for your weaver. But if your build cant do that, then you'll spend half the game redirecting them and eventually they will reach your infantry bunker anyway and kill the weaver - for those builds a glade rider bus of 10+ is good. Also, M18 on your weaver is pretty awesome, especially a beastweaver with Amber Spear out to pincushion cavalry from the flank - and if you want him on a horse throwing Spears, he needs a GR bus. I have tried it myself a couple of time with success. Obsidian Lodestone and Wand of Wych Elm works well on the weaver, and then keep out of enemy range where possible. Spread out to minimise cannons or stone thrower damage, and then the bus will give LOS for at least a couple of turns; by then you should have dealt with at least some of the warmachines if you're playing mobile.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Glade Riders max out at 10 models per unit.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

:eek:
I totally wanted to run a horde of 50! :roll:
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
sentinalofthewoods
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sentinalofthewoods »

I feel I need to say something about glade riders

Now I've been vocally against this unit in the past and even rated them as one if the worst 3 units in the book however having tried them out again I have fallen back in love with these guys..

What they are good for
Fained deployment
Double flee
Nicking wounds off things
Warmachine hunters

What they are bad for
Surviving
Actualy killing stuff

Does this either make them worth their points or not worth their points. Personally I am currently thinking they are worth their points for the fained deployment alone.
Gerner
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gerner »

They are too expensive for what they do.
Unless you use some kind of comp system that gives them an advantage I would say use the point other where. :)
Feel like helping me out? Look at my army list thread: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25040 :)
Zefiris
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Eldar, Kroot, Space Wolves

Post by Zefiris »

sentinalofthewoods wrote:Everything Tom said.. He's entirely correct

Wish he hadn't removed his youtube stuff. I learned a lot from that
There are youtube stuff on this stuff? When?

I must be still in the dark ages when anything related to GW gets taken down.
HeroZero
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HeroZero »

Thread necro a go go!

So I recently dusted off my wood elves after some distractions with other armies.
Got in a game vs WoC

Glade Riders were responsible for the win hands down.
Could I have won without them? Not a chance. I needed the 6 units in his face on t1.
Being able to keep my opponent from engaging on his terms was key.
All game they killed a pair of chaos spawn but died to a man, but through their sacrifice I was able to table my opponent.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

What? 6 units of glade riders won you the game, but only killed two chaos spawn? Tell the whole story!
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
HeroZero
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HeroZero »

Was only 3 units of GR, but 6 units in his face T1.

His army was a pretty standard WoC list, 2 units of 24 Khorne Halberd warriors, 2 units of skull crushers, couple of gorebeast chariots, 4 units of dogs, 2 Tzeentch spawn, and a block of hand weapon shield Tzeentch chosen with BSB, and Lvl 4 general, + shrine.

t1 I jammed all the frenzy units with glade riders or eagles. Focus firing the first spawn away, HoDA got other.
My GG killed dogs, panicked another unit.
T2 he charged I fled at angles pulling his units diagonally out of line.
T3-5 was much like turn two with him chasing me in circles or catching a unit on purpose to force an over run at the angle of my choosing so that I could get flanks with TM or TK.
T6 survivors ran to table edge to hold points.

All game I lost one eagle, 3 5 man GR and a eagle noble.

He lost every unit.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I use my Glade riders to harass the enemy's flanks and to march block. March block doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it give you a little bit more time to shoot the enemy down. Plus, getting behind the enemy lines allows you to pick out cannons and characters that are outside the units, shooting them down a few times, then charging in. Rear charges help out the big units in the front.

Glade riders are a support unit only, you cannont do a front charge with them. They are good for countering other fast cavalry, especially if you put a hero in with them.

I always take blocks of five, and they have helped me win a few games. Not in a big way, but always in a small way.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Jamesaet3 wrote:I always take blocks of five, and they have helped me win a few games. Not in a big way, but always in a small way.

I never leave home with out them, besides isn't winning small what we do?
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
@allmyownbattles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by @allmyownbattles »

HeroZero wrote:T6 survivors ran to table edge to hold points.

All game I lost one eagle, 3 5 man GR and a eagle noble.

He lost every unit.
If he lost every unit, what were your survivors running from to keep their points safe on T6?
HeroZero
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HeroZero »

Likely nothing, but IRS alwayss preferable to reinforce good habits for wood elves like run away to hold points etc.

As others point out its almost never a massacre, but small wins turn to small losses quickly.