Glade Guard - Best Banner

Moderator: Council of Elders

itsuperslug
Newcomer
Newcomer

Glade Guard - Best Banner

Post by itsuperslug »

Which magical banner do people use on their glade guard?

I ask as although most people, including myself, use the banner of eternal flame I have the problem that in my area several units/ characters are being used which are either immune to or have a high ward against flaming attacks.

Are there any banner out there plays like to use, if so how?
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Re: Glade Guard - Best Banner

Post by liesmith »

I've heard of the Banner of Springtide being situationally useful when a large unit of Glade Guard are holding a building and backed up by characters; it will allow them to continually stand and shoot despite the 1" charge of the enemy unit. I could also see a use for the unbreakable banner to allow for flanking units to get into place on the next turn, but really it's either Banner of Eternal Flame or nothing, I think. You're better off with MSU units anyway.
mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mabelode »

As Liesmith said, you've only got 25pts to use so it's flame or nothing (Gaemrath is out of the question anyway at 50pts).
MyNameDidntFit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos & Imperial Guard

Post by MyNameDidntFit »

Indeed. BoEF is the go. Characters with a high anti-fire ward aren't usually an issue because you've got better targets for the flaming GG unit. Or, at least, other targets. The ward doesn't transfer to the characters' unit so it's all good.

I guess what I'm saying is the pros > the cons by a long way.
My blog of painting and Warhammer:
elves in the snow
(rather deceptively, it's actually mostly about my Warriors of Chaos at the moment)
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

mabelode wrote:As Liesmith said, you've only got 25pts to use so it's flame or nothing (Gaemrath is out of the question anyway at 50pts).
Good catch, I missed that one. You can tell I'm still re-learning parts of our army (especially the parts rarely used).
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

mabelode wrote:, you've only got 25pts to use so it's flame or nothing
I wouldn't say 'or nothing' but rarely would the Banner of LD, or any of the other BRB banners take precedence in a GG unit.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

I could maybe see the banner opf swiftness on a unit of scouts being useful.
Sringtide is only good if they are in a building, fozzriks folding fortress :sexy:

Flame banner is almost always the best choice. Even if you only cause 1 more wound on a HPA it's paid it's points back.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Rebel Jai
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WH40K: Tau 4100, Black Templar 2500, Necrons 2000

Post by Rebel Jai »

Am I missing something? I thought Banner of Eternal Flame is only useful against units that are flamable or fear causing to beast/mounts. Would if you don't go up against an army that normally doesn't field flammable units? Why is BoEF the go-to magic standard for so many elf players?

By the way, my favorite is the Banner of Springtide. I normally use it when my back is to the board-edge and I have no space to flee from a charge reaction.
"We Elves are long-lived, but the evil in the world expands beyond time" ~ Elder Lib'ran Truthsayer.
Follow me @Rebel_jay
MyNameDidntFit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos & Imperial Guard

Post by MyNameDidntFit »

I'd say because most people make all-comer's lists in which the BoEF is invaluable for all those big gribblies. For 22p (inc. standard) it's purely awesome when there is Regen in play and isn't a bank-breaker if there isn't.

If you're tailoring your list to specific Regen-less opponents, then by all means it's not the best choice.
My blog of painting and Warhammer:
elves in the snow
(rather deceptively, it's actually mostly about my Warriors of Chaos at the moment)
tmarichards
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by tmarichards »

A lot of the time it doesn't do anything, and occasionally it's a liability, but if you run into Dark Elves or Skaven without it then there is basically nothing you can do to stop the Abomb or Hydra running over your list more or less single handedly.
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

The BoEF made WE a lot more usable. It can really help out in many situations. It is great against DE and Skaven since the hydra and HPA problem. Also helps against other WE, daemons, trolls, and against tomb kings with the regen given to their archers. It is good Basically it helps us deal with many problems that WE face. Also if you give your spellwiever the magical attacks spite you can take out a treekin unit with those archers. I do like the +1ld banner as well when you dont want flaming.
Pious Van Dorn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Pious Van Dorn »

Is the Banner of Disclipline worth considering for the Spell Weaver general bunkered up in the GG to give them Ld10?
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

Oh yes. Ld9 with a re-roll is nice, but ld10 is better. It is just making sure nothing happens and things get stuffed up. it is a very popular banner in a lot of armies, making any human army elf like. We kind of need the banner of eternal flame, it is really usefull but if you dont want that banner then +1ld is nice.
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Im just gonna point out that eternal flame is useful against the hell pit abom, trolls, and tomb king characters. Ld10 is useful against everything.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

As said, being able to rapidly take down Chimearas, weakening Crypt Horrors, removing solo Beasts etc. is often life or death. Ld 10 is boss but on infantry is a bit static. A combat lord can move it around.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

I often take the +1 movement banner as I only take a smaller number of GG which makes them a bigger target, so to keep them (and the BSB/weaver that are often cowering in the unit) safe I normally keep them very mobile.

Magic resistance isn't terrible either, and I've used that on occasion particularly if I have characters that I fear will get death magicked off.

But yeah. BotEF has amazing utility. Yes, there are characters with a 2+ ward against flaming. But the number of things out there that can wreck your day if you don't bring flaming is getting bigger and bigger. It used to just be Hellpit Abominations and Hydras..........now it's a buttload of Nurgle stuff, Crypt Horrors, loremasters casting earthblood, TK heirophants unit etc etc.
Plus being able to reroll failed wounds against garrisoned buildings is GOLD in the Watchtower scenario. People always think themselves resilient to BS shooting in buildings, but they really aren't once you add the flaming banner.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I considered sticking Eternal Flame on a combat unit out of desperation in how to kill units of Beasts. But if you've got EG I think Wildfire Blades on BSB is a better solution. Leaving Eternal Flame for the archers.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Flaming doesn't ignore the hydra's regen anymore, does it?
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Hey folks, a bit if threadancy here. We would encourage you to start up a new thread, particularly if a new book is out soon.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

CauCaSus wrote:Flaming doesn't ignore the hydra's regen anymore, does it?
No