Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Moderator: Council of Elders

Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Treebranch » 10 May 2011, 18:31

Hello

Short questions from me

1: I was wondering what the ideal build/gear for a highborn in a unit of 20+ EG would be?

2: I was also wondering what the ideal build/gear for a Spellweaver (the lvl 3/4) would be, and where best to place this guy?

Thanks in advance!
Image
Treebranch
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:14

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Caitsidhe » 10 May 2011, 18:36

Treebranch wrote:Hello

Short questions from me

1: I was wondering what the ideal build/gear for a highborn in a unit of 20+ EG would be?


There isn't one, at least not in my opinion. Playing Devil's Advocate, I guess if I had to do it I would give him the Rhymer's Harp and the annoyance of Nettlings. This bolsters the unit (which needs it badly) and gives him the edge in duels. Eternal Guard really aren't worth the points, and sticking a Highborn in there makes the unit a huge fat, point-rich target.

2: I was also wondering what the ideal build/gear for a Spellweaver (the lvl 3/4) would be, and where best to place this guy?

Thanks in advance!


Proper builds are: Rhymer's Heart & Dispel Scroll when on foot, and placed in a big Glade Guard unit. Same equipment but made Glamourweave on an Elven Steed in a Wild Rider unit or with a ton of Treekin.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 14:19

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 10 May 2011, 18:59

Caitsidhe wrote:Proper builds are: Rhymer's Heart & Dispel Scroll when on foot, and placed in a big Glade Guard unit. Same equipment but made Glamourweave on an Elven Steed in a Wild Rider unit or with a ton of Treekin.

Dunno, I am playing Life mage with WoWE and talisman of preservation and I consider it to be superior to any other build I ever tested.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Baardah » 10 May 2011, 19:24

If I where tO field EG, I'd throw in both the highborn and the level 4 in the Unit along with a BSB. I'd give the EG the AP banner, the lvl 4 the rhymers harp. The highborn would get the ogre blade and the heavy armor with a 4+ ward. I'd give the BSB the resplendence of luminescents and maybe an obsidian talisman of some value.

For the higborn you could also go with the spear that cause wounded units to get a -1 to hit. Glittering scales and the other item that gives a - to hit the char in CC.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member
User avatar Former Council Elder (1)
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 25 Aug 2009, 23:01
Location: Norway, upon the North Pole

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Caitsidhe » 10 May 2011, 20:02

unicorn wrote:
Caitsidhe wrote:Proper builds are: Rhymer's Heart & Dispel Scroll when on foot, and placed in a big Glade Guard unit. Same equipment but made Glamourweave on an Elven Steed in a Wild Rider unit or with a ton of Treekin.

Dunno, I am playing Life mage with WoWE and talisman of preservation and I consider it to be superior to any other build I ever tested.


Not me, but that could be to a severe play style difference. In my mind, the Spellweaver is for casting an IR of certain spells at a crucial time as well as providing lots of points to bolster some unit I drop him/her into. They aren't supposed to get engaged in close combat and if I lose them, it shouldn't be to anything but bad luck when they are sucked into the realm of chaos. :) I don't spend a lot of time trying to juice of tactical little spells or close combat survival because I engage in neither. I'm either throwing all (6) dice at a key spell or throwing all (6) dice at a key spell with a Power scroll.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 14:19

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Siegfried » 10 May 2011, 21:46

The Wand of Wych Elm is indeed a great arcane item with better value in 8th edition, but I find that Rhymer's Harp is almost mandatory.

Long gone are the days where you could hide your spellweaver inside a forest with a small banking unit safe from preying eyes. Now you have almost nowhere to hide except a nice fat unit. And what better way to spend points than granting a blanket of protection on the whole unit? :)
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Siegfried
Campaign Team
User avatar Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 25 Oct 2007, 20:36
Location: In the mists...

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 11 May 2011, 09:27

Siegfried wrote:Now you have almost nowhere to hide except a nice fat unit. And what better way to spend points than granting a blanket of protection on the whole unit? :)

I am hiding him in normal size GGs. And if any danger arise, he just move his ass into another unit of GG. So far, I lost him ONCE from all my 8th ed games due anything other that IF.

Caitsidhe wrote:I don't spend a lot of time trying to juice of tactical little spells or close combat survival because I engage in neither. I'm either throwing all (6) dice at a key spell or throwing all (6) dice at a key spell with a Power scroll.

In that case, we are really playing different strategies. For me, wasting all my magic phase on one single spell is useless 90 % of times (usually not more that once per battle such situation arise that I really NEED to make one spell go through - that the spell is KEY at that moment. And yes, against most armies, I do not consired dwellers to be the best choice). Trying more small spells is far more beneficial in my book. It is mainly because in Life, there are 2 "small" spells which are really game changing, one which is mandatory to have on, and another 2 small spells can be annoying. I am usually casting 3 spells per magic phase on small No of dices. And it works pretty good for me. In fact, it works much better for me that when I was messing around the approach you describe.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Kulgan86 » 11 May 2011, 10:34

Highborn EG build :

EG Kindred
Light Armour & Great Weapon

Amaranthine Brooch
Annoyance of Netlings


This gives you 5 S6 attacks, the Amaranthine Brooch confers a 3+ ward against any non magical wound while the annoyance of netlings takes care of neutralising enemy characters ( in challenges )

Basically you have a 3+ ward against normal troops and the enemy characters require 6's to hit in challenges.
The only void in this set up are normal troops with magical attacks : Demons of Chaos, Forest spirits... against those you will only have a 4+ armour save.
( Pherhaps it's good to give him a shield, and use it when facing magical rank and file attacks for a 3+ armour save and a 6+ ward ( parry ) save )

My EG set up further includes:

* BSB with armour of silverd steel + luckstone ( : 2+ As + a single re roll )

* Spellweaver with the Rhymer's Harp and DS Scroll. This way your EG Noble is protected with a 3+ ward against non magical and a 5+ ward against magical. The BSB set up also is complementary. The luckstone allows for the bearer to re roll a single armour save, so if your BSB has two wounds left and you're dealt a single wound in a ' initiative attack subphase ' if you fail your armour save you don't re roll but try for to make the ward save. This way you save up your single re roll. When you fail two armour saves you obviously take the re roll! I know this sounds like an unimportant detail but it could be the difference between your BSB dying or staying alive.
Kulgan86
Campaign Team
Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 741
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 12:11

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Caitsidhe » 11 May 2011, 12:09

unicorn wrote:In that case, we are really playing different strategies. For me, wasting all my magic phase on one single spell is useless 90 % of times (usually not more that once per battle such situation arise that I really NEED to make one spell go through - that the spell is KEY at that moment. And yes, against most armies, I do not consired dwellers to be the best choice). Trying more small spells is far more beneficial in my book. It is mainly because in Life, there are 2 "small" spells which are really game changing, one which is mandatory to have on, and another 2 small spells can be annoying. I am usually casting 3 spells per magic phase on small No of dices. And it works pretty good for me. In fact, it works much better for me that when I was messing around the approach you describe.


Yep. I used to try it that route but found it too unpredictable. I didn't like having to rely on having to have multiple spells go off every round because it doesn't happen. Good opponents simply cancel the "one which is mandatory" to have on" as you say. :) I don't like Rube Goldberg armies, i.e. forces which rely on anything going off every turn. I want them to be able to fight assuming the worst, i.e. that I won't get much magic off at all (which is often the case in 8th Edition). Magic has several annoying variables:

1. The Winds of Magic are fickle.
2. Most spells are situational, i.e. really only profit you if they go off at the right time.
3. Your opponent has the power to shut down at least one spell per turn and will aim (good opponents anyway) at the one that matters.

What I discovered is that so called "practical magic" is a losing proposition. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to line up variables and got very little return. I thus moved toward always sitting on the only spells my opponent really needs to cast (the ones that will hurt) and let him/her play with the practical magic all they want. As far as magic goes, I want the key spells to go off at the right time, so I throw maximum dice at them. Best case scenario means it goes off with a really high casting level and my opponent has already dumped his/her Dispel Scroll. Less good but still acceptable is (IR). The important thing is the spell goes off. As I said before it is a stylistic difference. I am a meat and potatoes guy and I like to play the odds. I prefer a sure thing when casting and I want that sure thing when I truly need it. My building philosophy is based around being able to fight without magic, so that every spell that goes off is icing on the cake.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 14:19

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 11 May 2011, 12:50

Kulgan86 wrote:Highborn EG build :

EG Kindred
Light Armour & Great Weapon

Amaranthine Brooch
Annoyance of Netlings

IN about 90 % places where WFB is played this is illegal. EG style makes you ignore the armor/weapon effects unless they are magical, in which case you ignore EG rule.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 11 May 2011, 13:01

Caitsidhe wrote: I didn't like having to rely on having to have multiple spells go off every round because it doesn't happen.

Yea, and here is the difference clearly. I try to NEVER depend on the spells. If they go through, it is awesome. If they dont, I do not care. Of yourse, sometimes you simply need to put one spell trough, but in such case, 6 dices for sure :)
And this is why I prefer to cast multiple small spells. Every success means small benefit for me, plus healed wound.

Good opponents simply cancel the "one which is mandatory" to have on" as you say. :)

Yeah. And that is why none of them is mandatory.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

A

Postby Kulgan86 » 11 May 2011, 14:05

unicorn wrote:
Kulgan86 wrote:Highborn EG build :

EG Kindred
Light Armour & Great Weapon

Amaranthine Brooch
Annoyance of Netlings

IN about 90 % places where WFB is played this is illegal. EG style makes you ignore the armor/weapon effects unless they are magical, in which case you ignore EG rule.


The Brooch is a talisman that grants a ward save and the Annoyance is a Spite. I don't understand how this is ignoring the EG rule. Or do you refer to the Great Weapon extra attack?

The FAQ :
Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.


Our book says EG are considerd to fight as if they were fighting with two handweapons. Two handweapons grant an additional attack
The BRB entry for two handweapons states foot models fighting with two hand weapons gain an extra attack unless their weapon is a magical weapon.

Thus, fighting as if they are fighting with two hand weapons would mean they gain an extra attack. To further clearify the FAQ states an EG character can take a ( mundane ) piece of additional weaponry, in our case spear or great weapon, and still benefit from the EG fighting rule.

Why would they include in their FAQ that an EG character can take extra ( mundane ) weaponry and still benefit from the rule? I'm putting the mundane between brackets because if you use a magical weapon the EG fighting rule is lost anyways. This shows they explicitly refer to mundane equipment in the FAQ.

I'm curious after your logic behind making the set up with a GW illegal. Which I'm sure there is.


Greetings


Kulgan
Kulgan86
Campaign Team
Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 741
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 12:11

Re: A

Postby Cynath Auren » 11 May 2011, 18:13

Kulgan86 wrote:
unicorn wrote:
Kulgan86 wrote:Highborn EG build :

EG Kindred
Light Armour & Great Weapon

Amaranthine Brooch
Annoyance of Netlings

IN about 90 % places where WFB is played this is illegal. EG style makes you ignore the armor/weapon effects unless they are magical, in which case you ignore EG rule.


The Brooch is a talisman that grants a ward save and the Annoyance is a Spite. I don't understand how this is ignoring the EG rule. Or do you refer to the Great Weapon extra attack?

The FAQ :
Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.


Our book says EG are considerd to fight as if they were fighting with two handweapons. Two handweapons grant an additional attack
The BRB entry for two handweapons states foot models fighting with two hand weapons gain an extra attack unless their weapon is a magical weapon.

Thus, fighting as if they are fighting with two hand weapons would mean they gain an extra attack. To further clearify the FAQ states an EG character can take a ( mundane ) piece of additional weaponry, in our case spear or great weapon, and still benefit from the EG fighting rule.

Why would they include in their FAQ that an EG character can take extra ( mundane ) weaponry and still benefit from the rule? I'm putting the mundane between brackets because if you use a magical weapon the EG fighting rule is lost anyways. This shows they explicitly refer to mundane equipment in the FAQ.

I'm curious after your logic behind making the set up with a GW illegal. Which I'm sure there is.


Greetings


Kulgan


Thing is, EG fighting style doesn't give a +1 attack to your profile, it means that the character counts as having an extra hand weapon when in base to base contact, regardless of how the eternal guard is armed. So even if you pay the points for it, an EG char with a great weapon still counts as having an extra hand weapon when in base to base contact due to having the Fighting Style rule, and as far as I know you can only use one weapon at a time in combat. IMO the EGFS rule is intended for the unit, and the EK upgrade should have been reworded to make sense.
If the FAQ had said "EG get +1A, +2As when not using magic weapons/armour", or just said that they can't take extra gear, it would have been so much clearer. Instead they've just repeated that EG Char can take gp etc, can use them with FS, but FS as it stands says that the EGC counts as being armed with 2 hwp. For me, personally, it isn't clear what they intend to mean. Hope they clarify it effectively sometime.


(actually, by your logic I could take EK Highborn with extra hand weapon for +2 attacks, no?)
Cynath Auren
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 17 Nov 2010, 11:20

Re: A

Postby unicorn » 11 May 2011, 18:45

Kulgan86 wrote:The Brooch is a talisman that grants a ward save and the Annoyance is a Spite. I don't understand how this is ignoring the EG rule. Or do you refer to the Great Weapon extra attack?

LA and GW...

They have 5AS and GW no matter how armed.
NO MATTER HOW ARMED.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby mortus946736 » 13 May 2011, 04:18

As per the FAQ

Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.

You will find the 'regardless of how armed and armored is a fluff statement, preceded by: "Different eternal guard kindreds employ different armament - some rely on Seaerath ( Spear-staves) using whirling blades to fend off enemy blows, others prefer more traditional spears and shields. Regardless of how eternal guard models are armed and armored they have an armor save of 5+." (P18)

As per the faq this is clarified.

You are granted an extra attack as if you had an additional hand weapon, regardless of what weapon you wield.

You begin with a 5+ armor save, which can be modified as normal.

it seems rather clear cut to me.
mortus946736
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 May 2011, 04:07

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 13 May 2011, 10:26

Yeah, the FAQ clears it. You can take any weapon you wish. This is ALL this FAQ is saying.

They are considered to fight as if they ere armed with two hand weapons in close combat if they are in base contact with an enemy.


The rules follows this and tells you that no matter what weapon you will wield, you are threated like wielding XHW. And there is nothing like "+2S" in the XHW rules. Or do you believe you can take XHW for EG kindread to have +2S cause you fight with 2 additional weapons (so with 3 weapons at the some time)? :D

Yep, this FAQ is pretty stupid and none is sure what the RAI is. Unfortunately (no matter ho much I wish otherwise), RAW is clear - you can take whatever you wish (FAQ) but you are threatened like have XHW and 5+ AS no matter what you wield (AB).

I believe this FAQ can be made only for WYSIWYG purposes - you can use any of your models as EG kindread and it will be OK. Maybe they just wish to say that no matter what weapon / armor you buy, you will still fight under EG special rules only. But maybe not. Maybe they really mean that it is stackable. But again - unfortunatelly the RAW is clear, the help-line give you different answers based upon how you formulate your question and GW staff refuse to come up with new WE FAQ which will clear this issue.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby mortus946736 » 13 May 2011, 18:43

I am sorry man... but the faq, which i quote AGAIN, says otherwise.

Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.


I dont see what is the problem with that.

The STYLE of fighting gives an armor save, as well as being treated as always using an additional hand weapon regardless of how otherwise armed.

The faq seems pretty conclusive.

Games workshop's official ruling is that: You can use the benefits of Eternal Guard regardless of the other weapons and armor you have. If you in your group dont want to take advantage of the fact that this is the way it works, fine by me, but this is the OFFICIAL rulling of gw.
mortus946736
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 May 2011, 04:07

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Caitsidhe » 13 May 2011, 19:02

mortus946736 wrote:I am sorry man... but the faq, which i quote AGAIN, says otherwise.

Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.


I dont see what is the problem with that.

The STYLE of fighting gives an armor save, as well as being treated as always using an additional hand weapon regardless of how otherwise armed.

The faq seems pretty conclusive.

Games workshop's official ruling is that: You can use the benefits of Eternal Guard regardless of the other weapons and armor you have. If you in your group dont want to take advantage of the fact that this is the way it works, fine by me, but this is the OFFICIAL rulling of gw.


What you are MISSING is important. Yes you can take whatever armor and weapons you want and still benefit from the Eternal Guard Fighting Style. That isn't the problem. The faq does NOT say you get the benefit of those items you buy. The Eternal Guard Fighting Style invalidates them by the wording.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 14:19

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby mortus946736 » 13 May 2011, 19:08

How can you benefit from additional armaments if it isn't allowed to be used? By definition that means the effects are cumulative.

In example:

Q. Do the Eternal, Glamourweave or Wild Rider Kindreds remove
a character’s longbow? (p68)
A. No.

By the rule you are quoting, they don't have a long bow, because they are always having two hand weapons. Since that rule is also invalidated by this one... Its just another nail in the coffin.

Based on the FAQs... You gain additional benefits from any additional armor or weapons you buy.

Find a rule that contradicts this, that isn't the one the FAQ is apparently deliberately invalidating.
mortus946736
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 May 2011, 04:07

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Caitsidhe » 13 May 2011, 19:48

mortus946736 wrote:How can you benefit from additional armaments if it isn't allowed to be used? By definition that means the effects are cumulative.

In example:

Q. Do the Eternal, Glamourweave or Wild Rider Kindreds remove
a character’s longbow? (p68)
A. No.

By the rule you are quoting, they don't have a long bow, because they are always having two hand weapons. Since that rule is also invalidated by this one... Its just another nail in the coffin.

Based on the FAQs... You gain additional benefits from any additional armor or weapons you buy.

Find a rule that contradicts this, that isn't the one the FAQ is apparently deliberately invalidating.


No amount of wishful thinking on your part changes the RAW. The Faq addresses Wild Riders. They do not lose their bow. It does not address the issue of the wording of the Eternal Guard Fighting Style.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 14:19

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby unicorn » 13 May 2011, 22:17

How can you benefit from additional armaments if it isn't allowed to be used? By definition that means the effects are cumulative.

You can not benefit from what is not allowed to be used. You can not benefit from GW if you have magical weapon, tough you are allowed to take it. By definition that means nothing...

mortus946736 wrote:Q. Do the Eternal, Glamourweave or Wild Rider Kindreds remove
a character’s longbow? (p68)
A. No.
...
By the rule you are quoting, they don't have a long bow, because they are always having two hand weapons. Since that rule is also invalidated by this one... Its just another nail in the coffin.
...
Find a rule that contradicts this, that isn't the one the FAQ is apparently deliberately invalidating.

BRB 89. The rule is called "close combat weapon."
Also, you can even start simply with reading the EG rule at all.
They are considered to fight as if they were armed with two hand weapons in close combat
Its just another nail in the coffin.

Based on the FAQs... You gain additional benefits from any additional armor or weapons you buy.

Based on the FAQs... You can take additional armor or weapons and still benefit from EG style. There is not a single word about be able to benefit from them as you are trying to quote. Please read it again. This issue is not adress there AT ALL.


Any more questions?
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar LEAF Team (1)
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: 18 Oct 2007, 13:12
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby mortus946736 » 14 May 2011, 06:05

Based on your argument:

The GW people basically rewrote a rule that, according to your interpretations, doesn't and cant be applied, in an FAQ?

It isnt changing the rule itself, its answering questions as to the interpretation.

The argument seems to be that the rule, and subsequent rulings, invalidate themselves. Does being treated as having two close combat weapons count as being 'Treated as having' or does it mean 'Has and cant use anything else'. The argument, from what i can tell, is based on the words:" ... Regardless of how eternal guard models are armed and armored they have an armor save of 5+. They are considered to fight as if they were armed with two close combat weapons when in base contact with an enemy. In addition, they may fight with an additional rank as if armed with spears."

The FAQ if not outright telling you you can, blatantly implies that since:

Q. May a character from the Eternal Kindred take additional
armour or weapons and still benefit from the Eternal Guard fighting
style? (p68)
A. Yes.

That they are treated as being given a base save of 5+, From a special rule, and being treated as having an extra close combat weapon however armed. If what your interpretation is telling you is so obvious, why did they right the faq which if not outright invalidating your argument, strongly implies your interpretation of this rule is incorrect?

The argument here is: Treated as having/ having and being forced to use.

Treated as having an extra close combat weapon doesnt invalidate the other weapons choices. If you have two special weapons, you can chose which you wield... or at least you could previously. Normally a model cant be given more then one special weapon, However, in this case it is possible.

The argument, follows form the premises given, that either: A, You wield one weapon and gain the benefits of having 'an additional close combat weapon' or B, You have a close combat weapon that invalidates anything else possibly given to you.

As the second logical conclusion is rendered invalid by the FAQ, A must be correct.
mortus946736
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 May 2011, 04:07

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Shandrakor » 14 May 2011, 09:21

You're both saying the same things over and over again here. You're not convincing anyone except yourselves. This has been deliberated over to death in The Pool of Enlightenment. Just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

If the people you game with agree with you and allow you to play it the way you suggest then by all means feel free to use it, but don't try to force it on other people if they disagree with your interpretation.

As for getting back on topic...
A Highborn to deal with annoying characters and survive for as long as possible is what you're looking for for a character that makes Eternal Guard Stubborn.

So something like this:

Highborn: Armor of Destiny, Annoyance of Nettlings, The Other Trickster's Shard, a Great Weapon, and whatever else you want in magic gear with the last 10 points.

As for the Spellweaver: The Rhymer's Harp + Dispell Scroll

Dump a BSB in the mix for re-rolling Leadership tests and knocking the Spellweaver to the second rank. Equip the BSB with Armor of Silvered Steel and a Luckstone. This gives the most durable team of characters you can get, the Eternal Guard and BSB get a 5+ ward save and Strider, and the Spellweaver is mildly safe in the second rank.

By the way, when using The Other Trickster's Shard like that, make sure to keep the Highborn on one side or the other of the unit and don't keep the BSB or Spellweaver next to him.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
User avatar Shadow Sentinel
 
Posts: 2397
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 11:09
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Soltari » 15 May 2011, 20:11

Well, Shandrakor always gives very good and interesting builds, but I dont like the Highborn this time :wink: The Other Trickster's Shard negates ward saves from Harp on some models, I would use the Shard only when I dont have any ward saves at all.

And in general, I dont like to spend pts, where the efects doubles with the same result - even when Armor of Destiny is nice, you cant use the Harp´s ward save - I would rather choose something different (than the armor). I would also buy Amber Pedant, if I have points for it and maybe potion of stregth

Spellweaver in 2nd rank will be only when playing 5-wide models unit in this case, I am not sure about this when using 20+ EG unit.
Soltari
Horsemaster
User avatar Horsemaster
 
Posts: 371
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 21:32

Re: Highborn and Spellweaver build?

Postby Shandrakor » 16 May 2011, 02:26

The Shard will only make 1 model's ward save be re-rolled in the Eternal Guard with the Harp if you put him on the side of the unit. The only reason for it there is because that guy is supposed to kill nasty characters and they all have ward saves. As for the Armor of Destiny... well, the only other good defensive option really is swapping that for Armor of Silvered Steel and using the Harp's 5+ ward save instead. Then drop the Other Shard and grab a Dawnstone instead for re-rolling armor saves.

So like this:

Highborn: Armor of Silvered Steel + Dawnstone + Annoyance of Nettlings + Potion of Foolhardiness + Great Weapon.

With the Harp in that unit he would get a 2+ re-rollable armor save, 5+ ward save, and only hit on 6's in challenges. Which is fairly respectable as well.

As for the Amber Pendant, well, honestly, I think it's absolute junk in 8th edition. It gives up to 3 models tops, Always Strikes Last and costs a ton to do it. With step up in 8th edition how it is, that's pretty much worthless except against characters. Even against characters it's not much better though with making Always Strikes First characters fight in Initiative order (instead of last in 7th) and others striking last, doesn't necessarily mean you'll kill them before they get to swing. If you're using a Great Weapon you'd strike simultaneously with the Amber Pendant reduced enemies anyways, so they still get to swing at you. Along with Great Weapons still going first if you charged, preventing getting swung at was the main reason to bother with that magic item in 7th and you don't prevent anything in 8th now. Thus why I think it's useless.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the enemy can just direct 2-3 guys wide and their support attacks against the 1 guy who re-rolls successful ward saves... maybe the Other Trickster's Shard isn't so hot in a unit. You can just swap it out for the Obsidian Amulet for MR(1) for the unit or a Potion of Strength or Toughness possibly (this is on the Armor of Destiny build).
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
User avatar Shadow Sentinel
 
Posts: 2397
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 11:09
Location: Ohio, USA

Next

Return to The Glade of Generals (Old Army Book)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron