Help with a custom scenario

Moderator: Council of Elders

dessloch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Help with a custom scenario

Post by dessloch »

Hi, I´m in the middle of a campaign with different scenarios (all of them custom designed), and in the next scenario I will be facing a small army of Warriors of Chaos that is protecting a cannon that I need to destroy. Depending on how many turns it takes me to destroy it, I will get different recompenses (the fewer turns required the better).

I have only played with wood elves 5 or 6 times, and I have always tried to use evasive maneuvers and a lot of shooting, but, as you will see, this scenario requires that I change my strategy. Moreover, it´s the first time I play against my opponent. So, basically, I´m completely lost.

To sum up:

- Wood Elves (2000 pts) vs Warriors of Chaos (1250 pts)
- Main objective: destroy the cannon as fast as possible (the more turns it takes to destroy it, the worst)
- this cannon is deployed at my opponent´s deployment zone, which is separated about 60 cm from my deployment zone
- the cannon cannot neither move nor shoot (lucky me :P).
- my opponent will probably try to completely surround the cannon (12.5 x 12.5 cm2) with his units to avoid me charging against it
- the cannon can only be destroyed in close combat (neither arrows nor magic affect it)

So, I would really appreciate any advice on how to design my army. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english
QuMu
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Dwarfs

Re: Help with a custom scenario

Post by QuMu »

Cool idea with custom scenarios!

Tough question though.

I imagine that since your opponent has only 1250, whilst you can field 2000 means you get to bring a lord?

Tool your Highborn up and put him on a dragon. Add a couple of alters or maybe one alter and a scrollcaddie and bring plenty of wild riders is my tip.

They should get the charge in turn 2, and if you focus them on one unit only, you should be able to break through.
Bring a treeman for added support in turns 3+ and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Wins: 39
Draws: 14
Losses: 6

My minis: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16997
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Are you limited by the number and type of models you can field?

Is the cannon places semi-randomly, or could your opponent elect to be sneaky and place it behind a building or ibhind difficult terrain in the corner of the table?
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Bogi
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Eldar, Orcs and Goblins.

Post by Bogi »

And does it matter in future scenarios how much of your army dies? Are VP included from banners and killed units like usual or just the cannon?
dessloch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dessloch »

Thanks for you interest :):

- There are no special limitations for my units, apart from those corresponding to an army of 2000 points.

- The cannon must be placed on top of a hill and nearby elements must be separated by 20 cm, at least, measured from the hill. Each of us will throw the dice twice and place an element according to an scenography table designed for the scenario. I cannot even guarantee that I will get a single forest :(. Apart from that, my opponent will be able to place four additional walls.

- From what I have been told, the main objective for me is to destroy the cannon (in 6 turns, at most), but at the end we will also count the victory points (only for killed units). They say that these vitory points will have some minor relevance in the next scenario, which is also the last one, but it will be far worse if I don´t manage to destroy the cannon since our opponents will be able to use it in the final 4 v 4 battle.

- I had also been thinking about Kurnous Wild Riders. Would an Orion Army be a good idea? Never played with it, but ...
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

... And how do you destroy the cannon? Is it your standard T7 W3 or more like a hellcannon?
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
dessloch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dessloch »

Oh, It´s a little bit different: T6 W5, and can only be destroyed in close combat. By the way, I forgot to mention that as a special rule for this scenario the defending army (my opponent) is inmune to panic :(.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Immunr to panic isn't too much of a problem as their leadership is generally good enough and the rerolls for panic help them.

If it's only T6 then a few alter kindred characters could be a good idea. The spirit sword could work nicely too. 3 alters in the front of most chaos units will break through and you can pick the one without an exalted champion.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Any idea on what sort of army the enemy will use? I assume that you will get your 'free' wood.

Killing the cannon in two moves is comparatively easy, perhaps one turn with the Spirit Sword carried by a Lord on a Dragon :D The problem will be getting there. I'd consider about 100 GG. If his best armour save is 3+ for infantry, then you should be able to blast a hole in his army in two or three turns.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets